What's new

There is a reson why it's called GEM

There is a reson why they called this Beauty a GEM. Today I ventured into yet another SE razor experiance.
I loded another SE up and shaved with it this morning. nice mild shaver almost felt as if I was not making contact.
After the ritual I put on some fine aftershave and let it dry down. Felt my face and Holy Stuff I have had a great shave darn near BBS even in my hard to get spots. This one is def. going into the rotation.

i concur with the GEM. I have yet to use any of my other razors since i was lucky enough to score one off the BST. But the last couple days, I don't know if its just the cream I am using or if I am really starting to nail the tech of it, but my face is feeling the best it every has since wet shaving.

I got the GEM Jr at a local antique shop a few years back for $8. It was the best antique store find I have come across (shaving related, that is). A great shaver for such an unpretentious jewel..

I am baffled that GEM and other SEs got in the obscurity in favour of the DEs to be honest. I really am..

I do use DE razors but the difference between DE and SE razors is like night and day for me. Some describe SE razors to be ugly or that they look primitive like a medieval torture device. I find SE razors to be elegant close shaving razors with a long interesting history. I am glad that they are not as popular or common as DE razors because it makes them even more unique.

The thick single edge blade works very well on my facial hair. There might not be a huge selection of SE blades as there are DE blades but there are a good amount of different SE razor models out there. From the mild to very aggressive SE razors cover the whole spectrum. Admittedly, I also like knowing that I use these beautiful not very well known razors especially the lather catchers.

I will post pics on sat of my home collection. I tend to forget about pics. I can't send the from my phone which is a pain.

I am baffled that GEM and other SEs got in the obscurity in favour of the DEs to be honest. I really am..

It truly is baffling.. I've often thought what is the point of a double edge blade? Other than its original ploy, designed by Gillette, to use less steel and get more blade (please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember reading) but they still don't last near as long as an SE in most cases.
For me it's SE's all the way, for now at least ;-)

Agree with all that SEs give a superior shave.
If only somebody made a modern SE.
There's the Cobra, and a couple of injector projects, but a new razor that took the GEM blades would be fantastic!

GEM G-Bar ++
$photo 2.jpg

Both the featherweight and the G-bar look unlike a majority of less-modern styled razors, while still shaving like SEs. I have fewer original-type SEs than Injector types, but I do have one of each of those, and a couple of Micromatics (a Clog-Pruf and an OC).

Last edited:
I want my SE's to work, but I still do better with DE's. I have tried MM open comb, Damaskeene, Ever Ready 1912, Feathwerweight, Bullet tip and all seem to pull and tug more than I would like. So far, I have only used Gem carbon blades, maybe I need to try another brand.

I want my SE's to work, but I still do better with DE's. I have tried MM open comb, Damaskeene, Ever Ready 1912, Feathwerweight, Bullet tip and all seem to pull and tug more than I would like. So far, I have only used Gem carbon blades, maybe I need to try another brand.

That's a testament to YMMV, as I am the exact opposite. Of all the razors I've tried, Gillette NEWs are the only DEs that shaves comparable to my favorite SEs (MMOC, 1924, and Clog-Pruf). I recently sold off all of my other DEs, mostly because I needed the money, but also because I just didn't use them. But I did just order a FaTip Grande to try out.

It took me a few tries before I realized that I had to almost literally keep the razor flat against my face to get a proper, smooth shave. I have to use a noticeably shallower angle with my SEs. But once I realized that, it was very intuitive. I also use the PTFE-coated GEM blades from Connaught, which I found a little smoother than the carbon blades from CVS.

Top Bottom