What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Neroli (bitter orange) is the dominant scent of 4711. I tried PAA's Neroli soap, and there wasn't a hint of neroli, just an overpowering generic granny-powder odor. Performance disappointing. Saint Charles Shave makes an authentic neroli soap that works like a dream.

I want to try St Charles. I have Mikes Orange/Cedar/Pepper which is dominantly orange. Any other scent recommendations for St. Charles? I really like B&M Latha original, DR Harris Windsor and Marlboro, Proraso Blue. I really like the licorice scent of the Proraso Blue but haven't found any others like it.

Another suggestion for pairing with 4711 might be Caties Bubbles "Saturday Morning" which smells fruity and is supposed to be like Froot Loops. I think it kind of smells like Pez which I like.

I want to try St Charles. I have Mikes Orange/Cedar/Pepper which is dominantly orange. Any other scent recommendations for St. Charles? I really like B&M Latha original, DR Harris Windsor and Marlboro, Proraso Blue. I really like the licorice scent of the Proraso Blue but haven't found any others like it.

This time of year Saint Charles Pumpkin and Mochaccino would be excellent choices.

For licorice, Mystic waters green fairy and stirling black ice or anise. The stirling is strong licorice. The Mystic Water is more subtle.

Saturday Morning smells exactly like a bowl of fruit loops. However, I don't think it would be a good substitute for 7411 as that has some floral notes as well.

Received 1 large tin of the soap. Used it once then turned around and bought 2 addition, fearful, that which I like often gets discontinued. While smell is not exactly alike, similar DNA and compliment wonderfully. Lather (density, slickness, cushion) is outstanding. As with everything, YMMV. Big recommendation here. Good luck, no matter your decision. Look Sharp, be sharp. . . George

My dad (now 81) was always smoking a pipe when I was a kid. He used various blends, but Cavendish was one of them. When I was in college in the 70s, I also smoked a pipe. I also used Cavendish.

My dad's doctor told him to quit, and I moved on as well. I still love the nostalgia and beauty of a nice Cavendish tobacco blend. I've tried various tobacco colognes to scratch the itch, including Aramis Havana and A*men Pure Havane, but haven't found the right scent until recently.

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cavendish is a remarkable rendition. It's an aftershave splash, but even now, about nine hours after I splashed it on this morning, I'm still smelling it. It's got much more longevity than most of my EdTs, and is a very sophisticated scent to boot. It smells just like the scent of unsmoked tobacco from a Cavendish can right after one lifts the metal lid off the tin, which always used a paper liner folded like a cupcake container to actually hold the tobacco. The face feel of this PAA aftershave, like the other PAA aftershaves I have, is amazing as well.

If anyone knows of a better Cavendish aftershave or cologne, please let me know.

P.S. I'm fully aware of the controversy surrounding one of the predecessors of this company. I firmly believe that all of us are capable of learning from our mistakes, and that all of us have episodes we would like to erase. Let's keep this thread focused on products, not people.

This thread makes me interested in trying the PAA aftershaves. Whatever the controversy, I enjoy their soaps and find that they perform quite well. If the matching aftershaves are also nice I'll probably pick up a few.

This thread makes me interested in trying the PAA aftershaves. Whatever the controversy, I enjoy their soaps and find that they perform quite well. If the matching aftershaves are also nice I'll probably pick up a few.

I also find their soaps notable. Especially the coconut.

I have been wanting to try Cavendish soap and aftershaves. I love the quality PAA puts out, I don't really care about any of the drama, as long as they make a good fair priced product I will be a patron. So far my favorite from them is the Chocolate Bourbon, simply amazing!

The AS splashes from PAA are top shelf. I don't have any at the moment, but I've used several and really enjoy the face feel, not to mention the enduring scent. For example, when using the sandalwood splash, no edt was needed post shave. The splash scent lasted well into the next day. I haven't used their soaps since they were under the HTGAM moniker, but their original lime soap was fantastic

Ugh. I decided out of morbid curiosity to read up on the controversy. Among the alleged misdeeds I read about the following:

1) Changing an ingredients list to look better.
2) Pretending to be two different people and interviewing himself for some publication (wasn't real clear on this one what exactly happened).
3) Moderating a forum for military veterans on reddit and hijacking it to market products specifically to veterans
4) Spreading rumors/innuendo about others on various forums.
5) Registering multiple fake accounts to push products and post fake reviews.

I stopped reading after that. I don't know what's true and what isn't, but seems to me like there was an established pattern of questionable behavior. Personally I'm sticking with more reputable businesses.

I only have the older HTGAM cavendish soap and splash, both are excellent.
Photos are from back when it was taboo to include their website name in the label, since it was against TOU here.
You might also be interested to try other tobacco items, including those from Tabac, Alt Innsbruck, Santa Maria Novella and Tom Ford.
$brandt synergy cavendish kent jan 23 2014 b.jpg

First of all a big thanks to [MENTION=85803]Screech8710[/MENTION] for sending this over to try!! I had posted asking about Black Tea soaps and he generously offered up this half tin.

Took a couple photo's for the review and SOTD thread, which is the weekly theme of literature.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyways, I will start with the smell. I found it absolutely amazing! This is exactly what I was after when asking about black tea scented soaps! The scent reminds me of a blend between Darjeeling and the Chai tea I get from Roasterie downtown KC. Some places say it has a scent of tobacco and musk, bu all I got was a truly blissful tea scent. As I began to lather the scent just blossomed. It wasn't overpowering, but was enough to fill my bathroom with it's lovely aroma. I decided to use my 30mm silvertip that had been soaking in warm water for about 5 minutes. About a 30 second load time was all it required and I had a nice densely pasty knot ready to whip up a lather. Wetting my face with a hot wet towel for about a minute I proceeded with a face lather. The lather started out pretty pasty so I dipped the tips in my water filled sink a few times and kept up with the lathering. A couple minutes later after doing so and I had what bakers would call Soft Peaks, nice and thick, but very wet and slick. The lather was incredible, plenty of cushion, great fragrance and slickness for days! I was able to blade buff and go back over area's that the lather was removed several times without the feel of needing to reapply more lather to avoid irritation. After my shave when I went to rinse it took a quick minute of hand scrubbing to get the slick feeling off my face, some people don't like this, but in my opinion it is a mark of a truly slick soap. When trying new soaps I never use an aftershave so I can get a true feeling of any irritation and the post shave feel and scent. The post shave of it isn't incredible like some, but it is still very nice. My skin is left feeling clean, soft and taunt. The remaining scent is still there but minimal and more of a fresh dried tea scent, like smelling it right out of the bag.

proxy.php

Conclusion: I am going to be very sad when I run out of this as it doesn't appear to be made any longer. It will take it's place on the shelf as one of my favorite soaps. If you come across a tin, and you like Tea scents, do yourself a favor and pick it up! If you don't like tea scents, then PM me where ya found it! lol

Ingredients: Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Stearic Acid (Vegetable Derived), Organic Castor Oil, Pure Kokum Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Sweet Almond Oil, Pure Essential Oils, Fragrance

Side notes: This is a Vegan soap that is also advertised as being cruelty free. I don't have a preference for vegan or tallow really, but for some this is very important.

Again, thank you Damon!

Top Bottom