What's new

The Worst Blade

Bic Chrome Platinum for me. The one that I tried pulled like crazy. I had to stop maybe half way through the first pass. I looked at the blade when I was done and noticed that the edge wasn't ground evenly. Parts of it were wider than others. I am curious to see if it was a problem with just that 1 blade, but I'm currently afraid to try another one.

Last edited:
I have only tried 10-15 blades during my wet shaving tenure, but Bluebird and Dorco blades were the absolute worst I've tried so far. Incessant tugging. My favorites are the Gillette Silver Blues.

I've tried 30-40 different blades, and by far the Sharp durablade brand is the worst, Dorco's, Sharks and Derbys are at least 1 or 2 steps up from Sharp, those things made me cry, it's not even cutting or even pulling, more like yanking each hair out, will NEVER keep that one in my B.A.D. collection, not even to hand out for free to someone else lol.

I see all of you bashing Treet, Dorko, Shark, Bic, Derby, etc. You guys have no idea how good you have it.
I would urge all of you to try the Flying Eagle Chinese blade. It'll give you an entirely new perspective on blades and just how bad one can get.

I would gladly take absolutely any blade over this one, in fact I'd reach into my used blade bank and take out one that has reached it's life expectancy then do my best to sharpen it on the concrete driveway outside of my house and it would still be 100 times better than the Flying Eagle. I'd go back to carts before using this blade again.

This Chinese blade was so bad that I couldn't make it all the way through the first pass before having to switch out the blade to cut all of the remaining stubble that the Flying Eagle didn't manage to pull out. It's just sharp enough to dig into the hair and get a really, really good grip on it but not sharp enough to actually cut through it, so it just pulls out the hairs root and all.

I tried a Derby blade that I absolutely hated before trying the Flying Eagle and felt like I owed it an apology, like I should send it a fruit basket or something.

I've tried a couple different Flying Eagle blades just in case I got a bad one but they are all the same. I've also given some of what I had left to others to try and they had the exact same experience. It really is that bad.

HAH.....

I got one stroke out of a Chinese Shanghai Blue...

One stroke and OUT A HERE.....

proxy.php

I have tried 13 different blades in the last 3 months and BY FAR the worst was

Gillette 7'Oclock Sharp Edge(yellow package). Tugged constantly, uneven, dull, etc. Would have been better using a butter knife.

Wilksinsons Sword was also pretty bad.

I have a real problem with the Gillette corporation. They invented double edged shaving, then they have done everything possible to destroy it through their planned obsolescence strategy and ridiculous, expensive products.
But here is my question: How is it possible for the Gillette company to exercise so little quality control over their worldwide contractors for double edged blades? Some of the blades marketed under the Gillette name or by Gillette affiliates are good or even excellent, but others have appeared frequently in this Worst Blade forum. Does the Gillette name mean anything? This shows how little regard they have for their heritage of double edged safety razor shaving.

I'm fairly early in my DE adventure/conversion. I totally respect the Merkur handles...but the blade that came with it was horrible. I switched over to a Personna Blue right away and could tell the difference. I tried that Merkur blade about a month later and it was still terrible. I won't be ordering any Merkur blades.

Absolute worst blade I've come across so far: Van de Hagen blades. No name stamped on the blades and you really don't know what you're getting. I've tried multiple samples of them and have come to a VERY negative impression. Last one I tried didn't get through a single WTG shave without me tossing it due to pulling so badly that I worried it would require stitches at some point.

I have since adopted a "no brand on the blade..no purchase" policy. VdH is from Germany, supposedly...and it seems to fit with the crappy Merk blade I had...so really I have to say that my experience won't be letting any German blades in my rotation...but most definitely....no blades with no brands stamped. That's asking for trouble IMO.

For me it was the super max in the green and yellow/orange wrapper. It made me feel like I was shaving with the serrated edge you use to cut sheets of plastic wrap.

The worst blade is the one I found faulty in a bunch of good ones. You know you're going to shave good and suddenly you feel burnt.

For me:

The Dorco ST300/301 - The worst so far
Wilkinson Sword in a black tuck - Also pretty bad

Derby's, Super-Max and Shark's were serviceable for me, but not great. I could use em in a pinch.

The good ones for me (Polsilver, GSB) are so much better it's almost hard to believe they serve the same function.

I see all of you bashing Treet, Dorko, Shark, Bic, Derby, etc. You guys have no idea how good you have it.
I would urge all of you to try the Flying Eagle Chinese blade. It'll give you an entirely new perspective on blades and just how bad one can get.

I would gladly take absolutely any blade over this one, in fact I'd reach into my used blade bank and take out one that has reached it's life expectancy then do my best to sharpen it on the concrete driveway outside of my house and it would still be 100 times better than the Flying Eagle. I'd go back to carts before using this blade again.

This Chinese blade was so bad that I couldn't make it all the way through the first pass before having to switch out the blade to cut all of the remaining stubble that the Flying Eagle didn't manage to pull out. It's just sharp enough to dig into the hair and get a really, really good grip on it but not sharp enough to actually cut through it, so it just pulls out the hairs root and all.

I tried a Derby blade that I absolutely hated before trying the Flying Eagle and felt like I owed it an apology, like I should send it a fruit basket or something.

I've tried a couple different Flying Eagle blades just in case I got a bad one but they are all the same. I've also given some of what I had left to others to try and they had the exact same experience. It really is that bad.

LOL - Maybe I owe my Derbys an apology as well. And I'm a little afraid of Fly Eagles now!

For, me currently I'm still a realtive newbie - only played with 4 blades so far (and yes, yes of course there are more sailing to me via the postal service...) Namely Wilkinson Sword, Shark SS, Dorco 300 and the Derby....
Currently, the Shark SS just aren't doing it for me. Biting, cruel and the razor burn was the 2nd worst I've ever had to endure (the Wilkinson Protector cartridge system holds that dubious honour).... dunno, maybe in time as my technique gets honed more (see what I did there? did ya... eh...oh never mind), they will become a good shaving choice.... but not for some time.

When sharks attack, you don't forget in a hurry...

Top Bottom