What's new

The Worst Blade

The worst blades I have ever used were vintage Schick platinum plus. They had apparently been stored poorly for 20 years or so.
other than those I haven't had any real problems with any brand. And while Dorco blades are not a favorite blade they will shave.

TBH, never got a sampler, just got a small batch of a few blades (roughly 10 blades a type).... Still slowly working through them.
Must say, so far the only issue with some blades seems to be my lack of experience. Having revisited Derby, Feather, Shark, Dorco, Wilkinson sword.... So far, it seems most are pretty average. However some are quite exceptional, feathers notably. Dorco are not the sharpest, as many will know.... but they never seemed to do anything bad, like cut pull or scrape either.
So far, the most unforgiving blades are Wilkinsons and Sharks.
For me, neither will put up with any minimal lack of attention or shoddy technique without painful (and sometimes messy) consequences

The real question though is what aspects of a blade make it a bad one...?
Know it sounds like the same question, but it is a matter to consider.

Suspect it's the most YMMV question going.
For me, one of the most considered aspects is the temperament of the blade.

I don't want a blade that's simply going to accept any poor technique and not give the slightest feedback.
Nor do I wish to have a blade where the slightest deviation from perfect method results in gouges, nicks and other forms of skin damage that ruins the overall feel of a shave

Worst shave I ever had was with a GSB in a Merkur 37c in my newbie days. I have have good shaves with GSB since then.. However, I have honestly never had an enjoyable shave with a Derby. Whenever I use a Derby I always seem to get random nicks in places I have never gotten nicks with any other blade, it's quite odd.

Try an Astra SS. Can't stand SPs but SSs are amazing!

maybe I will.
I went with SP because more people said SP was smoother than SS, though there were some who swore that SS is much smoother than SS. I went with the crowd, but my face didn't like it at all. Second shave was better than first, but still not the best feeling.

I will come back after a long trial of many blades I ordered :)

I vote ASTRA SP for now!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I agree with xillion. That blade is bad even on the first shave. Most would then throw it out. Or you could like me and try it again.

Also to be honest KAI. I know they are supposed to be premium, but damn. I feel like if my face was a brick, just flat surfaces, no curves, it would be awesome. Its just SO stiff

Since going back to DE shaving purely for cost (Fusion 5 blade monstrosity prior), I have been using Merkurs, Feather, CVS brand, Rite Aid brand and haven't noticed a huge difference. I'm primarily a single pass guy unless getting dolled up for the wifey, so no real irritation from any of them, but the Feathers and Merkur blades are a little smoother.

Needed to get some blades while on the road so I grabbed a pack of Van Der Hagen blades at Target. Figured for $3.99 I would try them. First shave on the ole cheeks wasn't too bad, but the neck got uncomfortable real quick. Day 2, weepers on the neck and chin with a good burn from the Stetson. Day 3,,, GOOD GOD MAN!!! Felt like someone was grabbing each hair with a pair of tweezers and pulling them to just short of the breaking point before sawing at them with the edge of a rusty screen. Almost fainted when the aftershave got splashed on. Needless to say, they are in a trash can in Chicago. Never again. Worse than the single blade disposable I got a hotel front desk once and that took 6 passes to get a passable shave.

My 10,000 votes for worst razor blade has to go to the RAPIRA SUPER STAINLESS. Roughest, most dull out of the pack. Just terrible.

I'm inclined at this time to say that Merkurs are the most uncomfortable blades I've shaved with thus far. In a 33C razor, I get a lot of weepers and my facial moles are going to bleed. No mater how careful I try to be. BUT...in a Weishi/MTO/VDH razor I got just for kicks, it's a pulling/tugging feel to the shave, but it's a 4-pass BBS shave. In fact, after the first pass, the subsequent passes are not as uncomfortable. I've used (thus far) Merkurs, Personna Blue Lab (newer 25% sharper type), Israeli made drug store blades (IP Reds), Astra SPs and I had one Feather blade given to me. The Feather is something you can't pass judgement upon with one blade and just one handle IMO. I did get some weepers but that was with my Merkur razor and not the more forgiving Weishi. I might have to try that in the future.

But the point of this thread: what is the worst blade? Thus far...comfort considered...AND excessive weepers and irritation in a 33C razor...Merkur.

I haven't tried many blades, but Personna Lab Blues are total face shredders for me. Uncomfortable shaves and the blades dull quickly. By comparison, the Merkur blades are much more smooth and I'd rather use up the few of these I have left before touching the Personna blades again.

This thread really does prove the adage "YMMV". It's funny to read how one blade can provide the most luxurious shave for one man and yet destroy the face of another..

My worst blade use was Derby, it didn't destroy my face but felt truly awful! Also shows why a sample pack is a must.

This thread really does prove the adage "YMMV". It's funny to read how one blade can provide the most luxurious shave for one man and yet destroy the face of another..

My worst blade use was Derby, it didn't destroy my face but felt truly awful! Also shows why a sample pack is a must.

So true, a thread of YMMV.

Anything from the Lord factory is unusable.

Derby is pretty dreadful too.

After trying many sample packs, Derby and Lord Platinum were my first 2 big blade purchases.

Top Bottom