What's new

The Sprout-2016

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, I haven't had good luck with tomatos this year. I'm getting a trickle of ones and twos. My plants aren't producing in larger quantities. The fruit is smallish. Each plant will grow nicely, put on 4-6 nice sized fruits then that's it. What comes next is very little numbers and what does grow is small. I've been reading up and growing them in pots in my climate may be the problem. The roots are getting too much heat in the afternoon when it's really hot. I'm trying an experiment by moving the plants to a part of the yard where they get full morning sun and very little sun in the mid to late afternoon. We'll see.

Hi Aaron,

It could also be the type of plant, determinate or indeterminate. Determinate will set fruit in a single flush so everything can be harvested at once. Indeterminate will continuously flower and set fruit until the plant dies.

Is there any way to create shade for the pots themselves as the plants thrive in the sun? And pots will dry out more slowly.

Lots of water, consistent?

In pots so will need feeding, low nitrogen high middle number to encourage flowering. If i recall the fish emulsion you bought was numbered that way so that's ok, i go half strength.

Hope you get it sorted, it's definitely worth the effort!
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hi Aaron,

It could also be the type of plant, determinate or indeterminate. Determinate will set fruit in a single flush so everything can be harvested at once. Indeterminate will continuously flower and set fruit until the plant dies.

Is there any way to create shade for the pots themselves as the plants thrive in the sun? And pots will dry out more slowly.

Lots of water, consistent?

In pots so will need feeding, low nitrogen high middle number to encourage flowering. If i recall the fish emulsion you bought was numbered that way so that's ok, i go half strength.

Hope you get it sorted, it's definitely worth the effort!
dave

Thanks Dave,

I was thinking the same thing on shading the pots. Maybe a car windowshield shade. You know the ones that fold up and have a reflective surface. Or maybe some type of tarp. Water has been consistant but I'm unsure if it's too much. My first batch got soo much rain that I did little watering. I watered everyday until I read it maybe too much. We'll see how my Giliaths do. They were planted last weekend and seem to be doing nicely with dark green leaves so far. Planted with organic soil, fish fert.and bone meal.

I only have peppers in pots (holes for drainage) which sit in pans to collect the water that flows out the bottom. I water until water starts collecting in the pan, leave for a bit add more water if the pan is dry (absorbed back into the soil), leave and check add more if the pans dry.

The potting soil up here contains a lot of peat that will absorb a great deal of water but needs time to do it so.... you end up givng it multiple small drinks until it stops absorbing.

To judge whether i need to water, i lift the saturated soil filled pots to get a feel for the weight then to check for watering needs later i lift the pots again and if it's noticeably lighter i'll water even if there's no visual indication that the plants may be in need.
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I only have peppers in pots (holes for drainage) which sit in pans to collect the water that flows out the bottom. I water until water starts collecting in the pan, leave for a bit add more water if the pan is dry (absorbed back into the soil), leave and check add more if the pans dry.

The potting soil up here contains a lot of peat that will absorb a great deal of water but needs time to do it so.... you end up givng it multiple small drinks until it stops absorbing.

To judge whether i need to water, i lift the saturated soil filled pots to get a feel for the weight then to check for watering needs later i lift the pots again and if it's noticeably lighter i'll water even if there's no visual indication that the plants may be in need.
dave

As you can see it looks as though the leaves are getting burnt by the sun or it's the cooked roots. I'm not thinking its a blight.
$image.jpg$image.jpg

6 nice fruits, but nothing else developing. There are many flowers on the plant but just seemed to be stagnant.

$image.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Given you say that you have reduced the watering, I think that may be a part of the problem. They need water when fruiting.
Try adding some epsom salts or changing to that by it's self. It will help with the yellowing.
If it is the heat, the leave my be curling, are they doing that?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Given you say that you have reduced the watering, I think that may be a part of the problem. They need water when fruiting.
Try adding some epsom salts or changing to that by it's self. It will help with the yellowing.
If it is the heat, the leave my be curling, are they doing that?

I added Epsom salts and sugar into the soil when planted. The leaves are curling. I'm not sure it's too much watering or not enough. This is actually kinda fun. I like learning about new things.

The fruit I'm eating are nice and sweet and delicious. I just would like a better yield.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I added Epsom salts and sugar into the soil when planted. The leaves are curling. I'm not sure it's too much watering or not enough. This is actually kinda fun. I like learning about new things.

The fruit I'm eating are nice and sweet and delicious. I just would like a better yield.

It may be the water -/+ or too much heat.
As a alternative to moving them, maybe string up a shade cloth to give them a bit of shelter from the hottest part of the day. Just food for thought.

That reminds me, I need to feed my lemon tree.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Aaron, our 'mater plants are starting to look like yours on the leaves curling, even after SWMBO moved them to semi-shade and they are in the "breathable" canvas type bucket things...the drying and curling seems to happen every summer. We are getting several tomatoes coming out though. SWMBO just watered them a bit...now that the floods have subsided. (Oh, that oak and pear wood in the background, along with the little sliver of the stacked post oak pile at the left, are for the evil brisket from Wallyworld :w00t:)

$IMG_0002.jpg

$IMG_0004.jpg

$IMG_0006.jpg

Rose bush looks a little dry too.

$IMG_0001.jpg

One of the 'maters had a big worm hole in it, even after SWMBO put Seven dust on them the other day. I just mixed up some of the Hi-Yield stuff and we'll spray that later.

Funny thing...went up to Mom's this weekend for her birthday (her 90th :thumbup:) and when I was out in the garage I saw an old, faded bag of Hi-Yield slug killing powder that I remember from when I was a kid. Guess it's still good. :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, some hay got bailed here, and this is just a snapshot of a few of 'em.

Does this count as a Sprout entry? I guess according to Euell Gibbons it would (he ate barb wire and telephone poles). I need to package the Bermuda grass from my lawn/pasture clippings and sell it to health food stores. :001_smile Maybe package the little bit of fescue I have here also. :lol:

$IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, the tomatoes are done. Just too hot. My basil is dead..too hot. The Rosemary said, "hot is ok, but this so hot, I'm dead. The mint is great and so are the habanero's. I wonder if cactus or tumble weed taste good in a stew.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well, the tomatoes are done. Just too hot. My basil is dead..too hot. The Rosemary said, "hot is ok, but this so hot, I'm dead. The mint is great and so are the habanero's. I wonder if cactus or tumble weed taste good in a stew.

Crap, sorry for your loss. :crying:
Oh well Habanero mint sauce it is then. :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Cactus is good Aaron...it has water in it.

I can send you some 'maters if you want...SWMBO just pulled three off of the vine and also a couple of cucumbers.

Only been 96 today...waiting on the 105. Hey, it's only June.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Cactus is good Aaron...it has water in it.

I can send you some 'maters if you want...SWMBO just pulled three off of the vine and also a couple of cucumbers.

Only been 96 today...waiting on the 105. Hey, it's only June.

I'm going to grow a pet rock garden.

Top Bottom