What's new

The Sprout-2016

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My basil recovered nicely after I started shading the pots. As for the tomatoes....there not dead yet. I can see all the little buds of tomatoes but they won't grow. It's like they are stuck in 1st gear. Watered, pots shaded, fed and plenty of sun. I guess it's just too hot.

I did read somewhere that tomatoes don't like it 100'F plus. The article said that established fruit will continue to grow but new ones struggle. It suggested planting early yielding varieties, so the fruit has set before the temps get over 100'F. I can't say if this is true as it doesn't get that hot here.
Sorry I was going post the article but forgot all about it. I would not give up on them, they may have a second burst.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I did read somewhere that tomatoes don't like it 100'F plus. The article said that established fruit will continue to grow but new ones struggle. It suggested planting early yielding varieties, so the fruit has set before the temps get over 100'F. I can't say if this is true as it doesn't get that hot here.
Sorry I was going post the article but forgot all about it. I would not give up on them, they may have a second burst.

The two I planted a month ago look healthy and happy but it just seems they gave up on making babies. Plenty of flowering buds nice green leaves. I'm not giving up, I've eaten some good tomatoes from my less than successful garden this year. It's much better than anything in the market.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Would you believe that we haven't hit 100 yet? I don't know about Aaron's region, though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Would you believe that we haven't hit 100 yet? I don't know about Aaron's region, though.

We did here Owen...a couple of days ago. Not that far from you but a few degrees is not a big deal. It's still getting kinda hot.

I do like the heat better than a big freeze though. My well works better when it's warm, and I really don't mind the heat as long as it's kinda cool outside at night.

But this is better than the 115 to 120 in Arizona. But there it's a "dry" heat. At least that's what the guy told me when I was in Phoenix. :lol:

Ripped out the spent pea stocks and the initial arugula & mesclun patches and replanted. Spread a layer of compost, added some bone meal, kelp meal, soybean meal and lime. Planted three types of pole beans, Garden of Eden, Sultan's Green & Cranberry Speckled, replanted five colour Swiss Chard, more carrots, arugula and Albino & Chiogga beets.

Garlic is looking like a harvest for next week so will be able to replant that patch with more stuff.

No rain to speak of all season so watering constantly to get the seeds to germinate.

dave

Going to be having some banana bread soon!
proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Found out what the critters are....possums....yep more then one too. I can't leave my tomatoes to red or they will steal them. They haven't touched my habanero's though:laugh: I saw two big suckers prowling around my back porch tonight. I don't have the heart to pop them with my 22. They're just doing what they do.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Found out what the critters are....possums....yep more then one too. I can't leave my tomatoes to red or they will steal them. They haven't touched my habanero's though:laugh: I saw two big suckers prowling around my back porch tonight. I don't have the heart to pop them with my 22. They're just doing what they do.
Plus, you'd have to dispose of them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

Cheeky possums. Here they are public enemy number one in the bush.
Ah check it out, two moons

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Why, all of the sudden, am I thinking of possum belly stew? :blink:

Possum pie and make some possum socks.

Possum makes me think of the late possum Bourne. RIP. He got the nick name for writing his mothers car of trying to miss a possum.
Here is a clip of him in the race to the sky along side the exact same car raced 14 years later by Alister McRae.

Now back to the garden. Don't let those possums take your tomatoes Aaron.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Maybe sprinkling the tomatoes with cayenne will give them the message, do not mess with tomatoes.
dave

Dave, They're Texican possums. They eat chilies minus habanero's for breakfast. They speak Tex-Mex too. If I put out a mess of Northern white beans or some poutine it might run them off.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Good to see the tomatoes starting Dave.

I'm starting to think about building a seed propagator. It will be a bin filled with water. Place some hard board on top and cut a hole so the tray sits on top and the bottom half is in the water. Heated with a fish tank heater.
Cheap, easy and I can control the temp.

Harvested the garlic yesterday. Have been growing on this hardneck garlic for over twenty years now. About sixty bulbs cover planting for next year and feeding us until next year's harvest. Pleasantly surprise with the results, little winter snow and we're at less then 20% of normal rainfall for the last three months.

Started out twenty years ago getting four small/medium sized cloves per bulb but by selecting and planting on the biggest bulbs we're now getting 6, 7 large cloves per bulb.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice crop Dave.
I planted garlic once some years ago, not sure why I have not done it since. Oh that's right I keep forgetting :facep:
It does not get any simpler than garlic, plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day.

Top Bottom