What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

I've contacted Murat a while ago explaining the situation and asking for a new top cap and he said that the top caps are made for every specific razor individually and there's no way of getting a replacement, since it will probably cause even more issues. I really don't know what to do, but needless to say I'm very dissapointed.

That's not good, if he said that.
I would explore sending the entire razor back to him so he can examine it and suggest some
solution. His English is poor and he uses google translate so a lot can be lost in translation as well.
Hope you get it sorted because his razor the Sailor MC 2021 works really well for me.

I'm well aware of the fact that just like with razors such as Merkur Progress and HLS Taiga, the top cap must be placed in a certain way in order to work properly, but that has nothing to do with my issues. The slight uneven blade exposure comes from the top cap and I know that, because I placed the blade in the top cap without putting it into the razor and the uneven exposure is pretty much the same.

I gave the razor to a friend of mine for a while, because he was very curious about Rocnel razors and how they shave and he was thinking about getting one in the near future. He said that he couldn't fit the DE blades into the top cap, because for whatever reason one of the posts was too big and he had to force it in. I've never experienced that issue myself and I've used my Hybrid with at least 5 different Nacet blades, since that's all I use now and I asked him to try with other blades like Nacet and he said he did and the results were the same and he was so frustrated that he decided not to use the razor and in his mind, that $400 razor isn't even worth $40. I don't think he's lying, because I know him for a long time and he gains nothing from that, but it still feels odd.

I've contacted Murat a while ago explaining the situation and asking for a new top cap and he said that the top caps are made for every specific razor individually and there's no way of getting a replacement, since it will probably cause even more issues. I really don't know what to do, but needless to say I'm very dissapointed.
That's very unfortunate. I do have a spare 2020 Sailor top cap that I don't use anymore after I sold off the razor.

The top caps for the most part are Interchangeable across different models/years of the Sailor series, but this one is heavier and has a taller head profile so it may throw off the balance a little bit. But I think it's worth a shot if it at least solves your blade exposure problem. It might even possibly help with the wobbly baseplate but since the top cap is heavier.

Shoot me a private message, I can ship off the top cap to you if you want.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm well aware of the fact that just like with razors such as Merkur Progress and HLS Taiga, the top cap must be placed in a certain way in order to work properly, but that has nothing to do with my issues. The slight uneven blade exposure comes from the top cap and I know that, because I placed the blade in the top cap without putting it into the razor and the uneven exposure is pretty much the same.

I gave the razor to a friend of mine for a while, because he was very curious about Rocnel razors and how they shave and he was thinking about getting one in the near future. He said that he couldn't fit the DE blades into the top cap, because for whatever reason one of the posts was too big and he had to force it in. I've never experienced that issue myself and I've used my Hybrid with at least 5 different Nacet blades, since that's all I use now and I asked him to try with other blades like Nacet and he said he did and the results were the same and he was so frustrated that he decided not to use the razor and in his mind, that $400 razor isn't even worth $40. I don't think he's lying, because I know him for a long time and he gains nothing from that, but it still feels odd.

I've contacted Murat a while ago explaining the situation and asking for a new top cap and he said that the top caps are made for every specific razor individually and there's no way of getting a replacement, since it will probably cause even more issues. I really don't know what to do, but needless to say I'm very disappointed (FTFY).

In my experience, as an owner of both the 2021 Sailor MC and the new brass Rocnel Elite, Murat is a standup guy who puts his customers first. He has certainly behaved that way to me. Others have said the same.

I would get in touch with him again, and arrange to send the entire razor to Murat for inspection. It sounds to me like this could be a quality control issue which he would like to fix. It also sounds to me like you are a dissatisfied customer Murat would prefer to satisfy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Would he take the razor back for a fix or repla e job?

In my experience, as an owner of both the 2021 Sailor MC and the new brass Rocnel Elite, Murat is a standup guy who puts his customers first. He has certainly behaved that way to me. Others have said the same.

I would get in touch with him again, and arrange to send the entire razor to Murat for inspection. It sounds to me like this could be a quality control issue which he would like to fix. It also sounds to me like you are a dissatisfied customer Murat would prefer to satisfy.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I made the suggestion before getting to this post, but seems like a send back situation.

Did you ever think to send the razor back to have him check it out to see what the problem is? The Sailors have been in existence now for about 6yrs and you are the 1st to have these problems with it, not to say there haven't been problems as some have been documented in a thread on another forum, but the Sailor isn't a cheap razor and If I'd spent my hard earned money on one and had problems like you are saying I'd be hell bent on getting a usable razor one way or another!!

Here's a picture of the responce I've got from him:

43432.png

I think the only real issue is the slightly uneven blade exposure. I'm no expert, but I think the head is supposed to move a bit when touched, because it has two springs on it and I would be surprised if the rest of the Rocnel models that share the exact same design are nice and tight on the higher settings and the head doesn't have any play at all when someone puts two fingers on the top cap and two on the bottom side of the base plate.

I know Murat is a trustworthy person, because I've had issues with FedEx that carried the package and he helped me a lot. I will contact him again and ask him if it's possible for him to look at the razor and see if he can do something about it. I'm sure that he will figure something out.

Is he saying that every Sailor top cap is different?
Wow, I did not see that one coming!

I have never pressed the top cap down (why would I?) but the slightly raised platform of the base
rests on two springs that can be compressed as the mechanism tightens.

This sounds like a one off QC issue. I would ask for a replacement and surely Murat will send one. I haven't bought any of the line since I got my 2020 Sailor. Mostly because I don't think anything about it needs to be improved. :)

I would explore sending the entire razor back to him so he can examine it and suggest some
solution
Send the razor back to Turkey?! You have to have courage to do it... they have the slowest and most corrupt customs in Europe "
especially in incoming goods, no problem in outgoing goods"
if someone intends to do it I wish you good luck✌️

Oh No Omg GIF by Italia's Got Talent

Last edited:
Is the 2024 Sailor the same as the Hybrid just in SS? If you look closely the pictures shown for the 2024 Sailor show 2022 on the side of the head so is it the actual 2024 Sailor pictured? If it is the same as my Hybrid other than being all SS and the markings on it then it would be pretty redundant to buy one and I'd prefer the titanium hybrid. Will the 2024 cap be rounded like the hybrid or flat? It would be nice to see an actual 2024 model and more information.

Is the 2024 Sailor the same as the Hybrid just in SS? If you look closely the pictures shown for the 2024 Sailor show 2022 on the side of the head so is it the actual 2024 Sailor pictured? If it is the same as my Hybrid other than being all SS and the markings on it then it would be pretty redundant to buy one and I'd prefer the titanium hybrid. Will the 2024 cap be rounded like the hybrid or flat? It would be nice to see an actual 2024 model and more information.
To me it looks very much like the 2022L and the 2023 hybrid as you say. I have 7 sailors now. Im not at this point interested at all in buying this one.

The Hybrid has an acceptable weight compared to the SS versions, I think it's an excellent product... I don't know if it will be proposed again, certainly not at 285 eur 😁

Top Bottom