What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

Why would you compare the Osprey on 9 with the Sailor on 9? The numbers on adjustable razors are arbitrary and they are just reference points to help you re-use your favourite settings for that particular razor. What would you have done if Shane had used the number 3 to denote the maximum Osprey setting, or the number 100?

I don’t have an Osprey but I would be surprised if the 9 setting was more than a 4 on the Sailor, which I think is as high as anybody would realistically need. 9 is an absurd setting to use on a Sailor and I wouldn’t recommend that to anyone. Even 5 is unnecessary, in my opinion.

I went with 9 because, well, just because I wanted to. I've overclocked the Sailor several times before too. The 9 on the Osprey is actually a fairly decent gap. And like I said, apples vs oranges. Not a good comparison.

full

I don't have the Hybrid, but I do have the Osprey and so far, from level 7 down to 2, it has been great. I haven't had any irritation issues on my neck or anywhere else. I have heard that there is a lot of blade feel on the Sailor as well as the Hybrid, that isn't the case on the Osprey.:confused1
as said by @jason2 apples vs oranges
two different razors as it should be, Osprey is well made and has the right and high efficiency for anyone at adjustment 9
Sailor is another planet in terms of blade feel and efficiency at high settings

My Rocnel Hybrid made it to me for Christmas. :) Its a beauty and shaves great. I didn't think there was too much blade feel at all and it was very smooth sailing. 😜 I started out on 2 and then immediately switched to 2.5 and got an excellent BBS shave with no issues. The proper angle was very intuitive and easy to hit right off. I'm surprised the cap end isn't marked for which way to insert it so the number zeros properly but since it has the name on the cap I can remember which way it faces and go by that. I haven't had much interest in modern razors for awhile, but I'm glad I went for this Hybrid it really shaves great and looks great. I even missed Fatboy Friday for it!
20231222_234731.jpg

The 2024 Sailor is on pre-order now. Its less than the current hybrid price. I thought the Sailor was more expensive?

My guess is that this is a promotional price like it was with the Hybrid and after some time it will increase a bit, but that's just a guess. From what I know, only the Master Collection (or MC for short) are the ones who have that ''special'' vibe into them and according to the owner, the manufacturing process is a bit different and they have a better QC, finish, a gold ring and they are made in a very limited quantities like 50 or something while the regular Sailor, which is made in (my guess) in a few hundreds.

I'm done with Rocnel, since I've got the Hybrid a few months ago and the blade exposure on both sides is slightly off and not perfectly straight, which probably doesn't affect the shave that much, but I have much cheaper razors that align the blade perfectly. The other thing is that the head itself moves a little while shaving on the higher settings, which also is not acceptable for me, especially from a company that many consider to be one of the best in the shaving world.

The design and the construction of my HLS Taiga is way more simple, but it feels more robust and the head moves only if I apply some pressure, while on my Hybrid, I can tilt it with just one finger without any pressure at all. I'm also not trying to change anyone's mind about Rocnel razors, but very few people would openly share such information and details, which might save the time and money of a lot of people. Of course - YMMV.

I haven't had any problems with my Hybrid, it works great for me. I don't usually go above 2.5. That's a bummer yours didn't work out for you. Maybe you could send it back and they would make it right? I wouldn't mind having a titanium Taiga but they aren't able to be ordered nowadays. I'm just debating on the Sailor since I have the Hybrid already and thought the Sailor was more expensive and supposed to be even better overall. Its the same price now as the Hybrid was when I bought it which is very tempting especially if it goes up later.

I'm done with Rocnel, since I've got the Hybrid a few months ago and the blade exposure on both sides is slightly off and not perfectly straight, which probably doesn't affect the shave that much, but I have much cheaper razors that align the blade perfectly.

You may very well be justified in your criticism but it is very odd for something like this to happen
with a Rocnel Sailor (remember, the Hybrid is a Sailor with some Ti parts).
There is a specific way to align the top cap with regards to the button on the handle.
If not followed, it results in the kind of problem you are now describing.

Google "sailor top cap alignment"

You may very well be justified in your criticism but it is very odd for something like this to happen
with a Rocnel Sailor (remember, the Hybrid is a Sailor with some Ti parts).
There is a specific way to align the top cap with regards to the button on the handle.
If not followed, it results in the kind of problem you are now describing.

Google "sailor top cap alignment"

I'm well aware of the fact that just like with razors such as Merkur Progress and HLS Taiga, the top cap must be placed in a certain way in order to work properly, but that has nothing to do with my issues. The slight uneven blade exposure comes from the top cap and I know that, because I placed the blade in the top cap without putting it into the razor and the uneven exposure is pretty much the same.

I gave the razor to a friend of mine for a while, because he was very curious about Rocnel razors and how they shave and he was thinking about getting one in the near future. He said that he couldn't fit the DE blades into the top cap, because for whatever reason one of the posts was too big and he had to force it in. I've never experienced that issue myself and I've used my Hybrid with at least 5 different Nacet blades, since that's all I use now and I asked him to try with other blades like Nacet and he said he did and the results were the same and he was so frustrated that he decided not to use the razor and in his mind, that $400 razor isn't even worth $40. I don't think he's lying, because I know him for a long time and he gains nothing from that, but it still feels odd.

I've contacted Murat a while ago explaining the situation and asking for a new top cap and he said that the top caps are made for every specific razor individually and there's no way of getting a replacement, since it will probably cause even more issues. I really don't know what to do, but needless to say I'm very dissapointed.

Top Bottom