What's new

* The official Gillette NEW: Made in England thread*

Safety Razor Database is a mess. Rather than overhauling it, we have been thinking about replacing the whole thing with a redirect to http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Safety_Razors - where there are already subcategories for the various families of razor designs. We could add country-based categories to that.

That "index" style presentation is fine if you're looking to jump straight to a particular thing (and happen to know how what you're looking for was titled), but it would still be helpful to have a "table of contents" style presentation that would give you the context of the hierarchy of the different generations, which is what the Safety Razor Database is failing at right now.
I agree with both of you, but i dont think its a big mess, just a little tiny untidy. But i think that a little bit of light tweaking may just do the trick. The Base is still very functional, but due to Gillette international expansion many facts and important tidbits may be lacking. But so far alot of homework and hard research from our well informed members have more or less added to the Data base contents. Now it just needs a light tweak.

Hello friends and brothers.
I need your help to identify this British Gillette NEW. I can not find it in the collection of Achim, Mr Razor. I've seen pictures of British NEW heads, but not this.
I do not know if the box is correct. Nor do I know if the handle is correct. Is hollow. Nickel has lost after my cleaning. It has a hole in the neck. I do not know if the handle is Gillette and if the hole is from factory or has been made after. As for the head, it seems that it must have been a batch for France. I've bought from a French seller. Their future will be nickel re-plated.
I want to know if the pieces are correct and what year should be about?
A bit of research, my friends.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Importé d'Angleterre - BRITISH PATENT NUMBERS 133963 142772-272629

Last edited:
Well, now we know where that one ended up! :laugh: I just mentioned it in our current Safety Razor of the Month thread.

As I mentioned over there, it's only the second one like it that I've seen. That said, the handle is really the only thing that seems at all questionable to me. I've never seen anything remotely similar on any Gillette razor, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. It's been some time since I saw the other example of this type of head, so I can't really be sure, but I think it had a ball-end handle with it.

More pics of the very rare British Gillette NEW. Yesterday I've cleaned it. Today I've decided that next week I will test it, and I've disinfected it with a chemical solution used in hospitals to disinfect endoscopes and surgical material without heating it. His future will be nickel replate to survive one century more. But I can not resist using it as it is.
I really think it is a prototype or a test razor. The holes are not perfectly mechanized and it has traces of some circular sanding tool at top of the comb base plate. Below, have burrs around the holes.
The handle, seeing his geometry and caliber, probably it is a Gillette handle. 73.4 mm long and 9.6 mm diameter. Bottom length is double that last knurled area, like in a Common Bar. Note the rings, similar to common bar in disposition, and the perfect fit at the comb base plate, in diameter, 8.8 mm. The little hole in the collar, adds more unknowns.

Really I think it is very rare, very strange. Should I contact Achim, or others Gillette experts?

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Old thread resurrection :001_rolle

Here's my two NEW Deluxe 2 piece razors Made in England with the rounded bottom gaps between the combs.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Comparison between heads Made in USA the Made in England has an extra tooth :001_smile

proxy.php

Last edited:
Old thread resurrection :001_rolle

Here's my two NEW Deluxe 2 piece razors Made in England with the rounded bottom gaps between the combs.

Any patent marks on those handles? I suspect they were made early in the NEW era, as part of the transition from the New Improved. But that may be difficult to prove or to falsify.

If http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445440-Manufacture-of-Safety-Razors-(1927) and http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445472-Manufacture-of-Safety-Razors-and-Blades-(1938) are reliable, the teeth were cut out from both sides at once with a gang of 13 saws on each side. There seemed to be very little change in this process from the New Improved to the NEW: similar description and similar production rate, despite a decade of other improvements.

What would it take to produce rounded teeth vs square teeth using this method? A different shape of saw blade, or something else?

1927:

The teeth on the guard are cut on the Gillette Safety Razor sawing machine shown in Fig. 14. The guards for the saws and gearing have here been removed for purposes of illustration. The two arbors are geared together, each arbor carrying a gang of 13 saws. The saws, separated by spacing collars, are 2.375 inches in diameter, 0.081-inch thick, and run at 2,400 revolutions per minute. The work seen in position in the figure is located by studs entering the two end holes. As the ram rides up to the saws the work is gripped by the two hook clamps A and is thus held under the tension of the springs B.

Two small rods pass through the ram and project from the face of the work-locating nest when the ram is at the bottom of its stroke, and thus serve to eject the work, which drops down the chute seen to the front of the ram. This operation is conducted at the rate of 1,000 pieces per hour. It is found necessary to re-grind the cutters for between 80,000 and 100,000 pieces.

1938:

Another interesting machine made in the factory is used to cut the teeth in the guard, and is shown in Fig. 11. The machine provides for bringing the guard blanks into contact with two gangs of cutters which cut the teeth on either side of the blank simultaneously. The two horizontal arbors, each carrying twelve saw cutters, are enclosed, and are geared together. Collars separate the various cutters on the two arbors, the cutters being about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and revolving at a speed of 2,400 rpm.

In operation the work-piece A is located by a pin which engages the centre hole, and by ridges which engage the axial slits. As the ram C rides upwards to the saws the work is gripped by the two hook clamps B and is thus held in position by spring tension. Two small rods pass through the ram and project from the face of the work-locating pad when the ram is at the bottom of its stroke, thus serving to eject the work, which drops down the chute D in the ram. A production rate of 1,000 pieces per hour is obtained from the machine. The operator uses a pair of tongs to handle the work-pieces, as shown.

Any patent marks on those handles? I suspect they were made early in the NEW era, as part of the transition from the New Improved. But that may be difficult to prove or to falsify.

If http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445440-Manufacture-of-Safety-Razors-(1927) and http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445472-Manufacture-of-Safety-Razors-and-Blades-(1938) are reliable, the teeth were cut out from both sides at once with a gang of 13 saws on each side. There seemed to be very little change in this process from the New Improved to the NEW: similar description and similar production rate, despite a decade of other improvements.

What would it take to produce rounded teeth vs square teeth using this method? A different shape of saw blade, or something else?

1927:
The teeth on the guard are cut on the Gillette Safety Razor sawing machine shown in Fig. 14. The guards for the saws and gearing have here been removed for purposes of illustration. The two arbors are geared together, each arbor carrying a gang of 13 saws. The saws, separated by spacing collars, are 2.375 inches in diameter, 0.081-inch thick, and run at 2,400 revolutions per minute. The work seen in position in the figure is located by studs entering the two end holes. As the ram rides up to the saws the work is gripped by the two hook clamps A and is thus held under the tension of the springs B.

Two small rods pass through the ram and project from the face of the work-locating nest when the ram is at the bottom of its stroke, and thus serve to eject the work, which drops down the chute seen to the front of the ram. This operation is conducted at the rate of 1,000 pieces per hour. It is found necessary to re-grind the cutters for between 80,000 and 100,000 pieces.

1938:
Another interesting machine made in the factory is used to cut the teeth in the guard, and is shown in Fig. 11. The machine provides for bringing the guard blanks into contact with two gangs of cutters which cut the teeth on either side of the blank simultaneously. The two horizontal arbors, each carrying twelve saw cutters, are enclosed, and are geared together. Collars separate the various cutters on the two arbors, the cutters being about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and revolving at a speed of 2,400 rpm.

In operation the work-piece A is located by a pin which engages the centre hole, and by ridges which engage the axial slits. As the ram C rides upwards to the saws the work is gripped by the two hook clamps B and is thus held in position by spring tension. Two small rods pass through the ram and project from the face of the work-locating pad when the ram is at the bottom of its stroke, thus serving to eject the work, which drops down the chute D in the ram. A production rate of 1,000 pieces per hour is obtained from the machine. The operator uses a pair of tongs to handle the work-pieces, as shown.

Yes there are some patent Nos around the handle above the knob:

BRIT.PAT.NOS-352975-6-7-363892

I would imagine the saw blades teeth used to mill the slots for the comb would be rounded instead of square.

Last edited:
The patents on the handle are the same as other NEWs such as the RFBs.

I think it's interesting that Achim's and Jake's examples have the GB142772 patent stamped on the baseplates. The other NEWs I've seen with this patent are the English Goodwill and the silver plated regular LC, curiously all of them made for the French market:

$CAM01886.jpg

EDIT: I just remembered, I have a 3 piece RFB with the same patent numbers as the Goodwill, also made for the French market. I guess it's safe to say it's an early RFB, made before the patents issued in July and December 1931.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

The only year I could find an ad of a two piece Belmont or Criterion is 1938, while Richwood pops up in 1939.
The most expensive razor in 1939 is a Gillette Chromium, it cost more than a No 15 or 19 Aristocrat.
So I suspect these two piece Deluxe models were produced at the end of the NEW era, just before the one piece open combs took over.

This is the No 25
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930-40 NEW in brown bakelite case England.JPG

The No 44 came with black, brown, blue or red cases.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Old thread revived

@782sirbrian What is the original plating of your British New DeLuxe 2-piece above? Nickel or silver?

Can anyone else clarify what the original plating material was on these Brit New Deluxes? Doesn’t look like @782sirbrian has been here in a while.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello, chrome, gold and silver examples popped up during the years.

Adam

Top Bottom