What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2023.

My latest two - Kakimori steel nib in a Pilot Iro-Utushi handle and a 3.8 mm Pilot Parallel
PXL_20230806_234352105.jpg

My new Pilot Kakuno had a nib swap with my Metro, now I have an EF Metro and a CM stub on the Kakuno. The Kakuno is much more comfortable to hold than the Metro. And that EF steel Pilot nib is great, I put my DeAtramentis Document ink in it. I just wish it didn't have a winky face.
PXL_20230814_001956860.jpg

My new Pilot Kakuno had a nib swap with my Metro, now I have an EF Metro and a CM stub on the Kakuno. The Kakuno is much more comfortable to hold than the Metro. And that EF steel Pilot nib is great, I put my DeAtramentis Document ink in it. I just wish it didn't have a winky face.
View attachment 1701888
Awesome! Actually I think Kakuno, Metro, Plumix, Prera uses the same nibs. Did I forget any?

Todays thrift store score. A set of Rotring Isograph and a set of Rapidograph technical pens. $4 Dollarydos for the lot.
Very nice. In High School I took many art classes...in fact, I started out college as an art major. I had a set rotrings similar to what you have pictured. It seems to me that my set had 5 pens.

Many a pen and ink drawing I made with those pens. At the time (30 years ago), the price of the pen set seemed crazy to me...probably something between 50 and 100 dollars. Looks like you got a steal in comparison.

I hope whoever had those pens before you cleaned them well. IIRC, the set came with India ink.

Legion

Staff member
Very nice. In High School I took many art classes...in fact, I started out college as an art major. I had a set rotrings similar to what you have pictured. It seems to me that my set had 5 pens.

Many a pen and ink drawing I made with those pens. At the time (30 years ago), the price of the pen set seemed crazy to me...probably something between 50 and 100 dollars. Looks like you got a steal in comparison.

I hope whoever had those pens before you cleaned them well. IIRC, the set came with India ink.
It just says drawing ink. I doubt it is India. That would gum up a pen pretty quickly, especially with a nib as fine a nib as these.

Legion

Staff member

Hmmm. After a bit of research, apparently normal fountain pen ink is too thin to use in these pens, so maybe the drawing ink is India, or something similar. That's kind of annoying. I might give cleaning one a try, and if I have no luck i'll put them away until I get the ultrasonic cleaner I've been wanting to buy.

3 Sheaffer Pop (plastic) fountain pens. I wanted to relive my late 1950's to early 1960's elementary school experience...learning to write with a pencil and Scheaffer School fountain pen. The Pop was the closest thing I could find, since they no longer make school fountain pens. The older I get, the more I need to go back in time...as an escape from today's world. I forgot how great those pens were. It truly is an exceptional writing experience. I also purchased a mint Parker 45 Flighter Pen and Pencil set, like the one I was gifted for my 13th birthday (Stainless and Gold, made in USA)!

Top Bottom