What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2023.

I read an article on the origini of the Kaweco Sport, 1935-1938, and that originally was a piston filler. I found one from the early 50s and bought it. it is ever so tiny compared to the modern one!!
On the left the modern one and on the right the 'original' one
That is really cool. I didn't know that the design was that old. I knew it was more of a retro design but that is neat. Thank you for sharing.

I read an article on the origini of the Kaweco Sport, 1935-1938, and that originally was a piston filler. I found one from the early 50s and bought it. it is ever so tiny compared to the modern one!!
On the left the modern one and on the right the 'original' one
I bet the nib on the vintage has a little more character than the modern?

the taxi was waiting to take me to the airport when it was delivered so I haven't had a chance to ink it yet 😢 just the two photos to compare the two models

Last edited:
I like the Kaweco, too, and I'm seriously considering getting the brass version.

You know you're going to get one. I did and it's brilliant. I have the 1.1mm stub nib and a piston filler. Its not too heavy, writes great and the ink can easily last a couple of days for me.

New purchase wise, a Jinhao X159 fine in Burgundy arrived today. What an excellent pen, the nib is a generous fine almost a medium, writes smooth and has absolutely no issues. Now inked with Diamine Imperial Purple.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Been a bit since I have frequented this subforum. A couple years ago, I left my Parker51 Vacumatic (a PIF of all things) lying on my desk- someone evidently wanted it more than I. Then, the universal converter (I hate those things) on my late 80's Cross Century started leaking. This happened about the same time that I got my stomach cancer and engaged in a yearlong fight to beat it (victory was only one year, it's back for round two in the liver), so I just stopped dealing with pens altogether. Less time online also meant visiting fewer subforums than I used to. I got a gift card and said to heck with it- went and ordered a TWSBI 580 Diamond. It is a fine writer. As good as the Parker 51? Even asking that question should bring a penalty :) . It is, however, a touch above my Cross. Seems to be pretty solid for its price point. Loaded her up with Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. Seems to be a nice ink for it- pretty smooth. Goulet Pen packaging, as usual, was very good.

twsbi.JPG

Been a bit since I have frequented this subforum. A couple years ago, I left my Parker51 Vacumatic (a PIF of all things) lying on my desk- someone evidently wanted it more than I. Then, the universal converter (I hate those things) on my late 80's Cross Century started leaking. This happened about the same time that I got my stomach cancer and engaged in a yearlong fight to beat it (victory was only one year, it's back for round two in the liver), so I just stopped dealing with pens altogether. Less time online also meant visiting fewer subforums than I used to. I got a gift card and said to heck with it- went and ordered a TWSBI 580 Diamond. It is a fine writer. As good as the Parker 51? Even asking that question should bring a penalty :) . It is, however, a touch above my Cross. Seems to be pretty solid for its price point. Loaded her up with Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. Seems to be a nice ink for it- pretty smooth. Goulet Pen packaging, as usual, was very good.

View attachment 1653037
Godspeed in round two sir! Go kick cancers @$$ again!!

Note about the pen, first, congrats on a great writer! Second, careful posting it, as if you twist the wrong way to remove the cap the plunger could start pushing, you’ll have yourself one heck of a mess! 😂

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Godspeed in round two sir! Go kick cancers @$$ again!!

Note about the pen, first, congrats on a great writer! Second, careful posting it, as if you twist the wrong way to remove the cap the plunger could start pushing, you’ll have yourself one heck of a mess! 😂
Thanks for your well wishes. As to the cap, I have never been one to twist off of post- just pull it off. Most of my writing is done at my desk now, so I’ve gotten into the habit of setting the cap on the desk. It is a touch tail heavy when posted.

I bet the nib on the vintage has a little more character than the modern?
So, I managed to do some comparative writing with both pens. I have to say that the modern Sport has a smoother nib compared to the 50' nib. On paper the modern glides effortlessly. The vintage nib is a bit held back. They are both smooth and both M nibs. I used the same paper, obviously, for the test but different inks. I like both Sports. The vintage is a bit more chubby in the hand while the modern is slimmer. Need to post both to have them comfortably resting between thumb and index while I write. About flex differences between nibs I couldn't say, I don't press hugely the nib while I write, I place it on paper and guide it to compose words as lightly as possible 😊 HTH

Reactions: Jut
I attended the Triangle Pen Show in Raleigh, NC this past weekend and I ended up with two acquisitions. It could have been very easy to spend a lot of money there. My wife picked up one pen at the Pilot desk that was $9000! Yikes! Needless to say we didn't get that one.

I bought a Lamy 200 EF. The build quality on the Lamy 2000 is something to behold. German engineering at it's finest. If you run your fingers over where the piston filler cap is, you cannot feel it whatsoever. Actually if you hold it in the light you are hard pressed to tell where it even is. For those who are considering Lamy pens, remember that they run VERY "fat" in the nib sizes. Even for a european manufacturer the nibs run wide. This Extra Fine is no exception. My wife cannot write with even an extra fine european nib. She has to have the Japanese fine or extra fine.
20230612_071723.jpg

Lamy 2000 Extra Fine nib

The Sheaffer Imperial IV with the inset 14k nib is something I have been eyeing for a while. I have been drawn to the look of it. I was very excited when I found one and in great condition and a good price. I could not have asked for a better one. It is made sometime during the 60's. This is the squeeze type filler mechanism.
20230612_073338.jpg

Sheaffer Imperial IV, Fine or Extra Fine, squeeze filler, 1960's

I attended the Triangle Pen Show in Raleigh, NC this past weekend and I ended up with two acquisitions. It could have been very easy to spend a lot of money there. My wife picked up one pen at the Pilot desk that was $9000! Yikes! Needless to say we didn't get that one.

I bought a Lamy 200 EF. The build quality on the Lamy 2000 is something to behold. German engineering at it's finest. If you run your fingers over where the piston filler cap is, you cannot feel it whatsoever. Actually if you hold it in the light you are hard pressed to tell where it even is. For those who are considering Lamy pens, remember that they run VERY "fat" in the nib sizes. Even for a european manufacturer the nibs run wide. This Extra Fine is no exception. My wife cannot write with even an extra fine european nib. She has to have the Japanese fine or extra fine.
20230612_071723.jpg

Lamy 2000 Extra Fine nib

The Sheaffer Imperial IV with the inset 14k nib is something I have been eyeing for a while. I have been drawn to the look of it. I was very excited when I found one and in great condition and a good price. I could not have asked for a better one. It is made sometime during the 60's. This is the squeeze type filler mechanism.
20230612_073338.jpg

Sheaffer Imperial IV, Fine or Extra Fine, squeeze filler, 1960's
Very nice acquisitions. Agree on both the built quality and the fat nibs for the Lamy 2000. I have both the the fine and extra fine.

The Sheaffer looks great as well.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have been in a lifelong, monogamous relationship with my Pelikan Souveran and Pelikan blue-black, but I gave a Pelikan to my Son in Law, and he promptly added a Lamy, a Parker, and new inks. A rabbit hole is dug, an addiction is born, and there ya go!

I received my Gravitas Quark<EF> yesterday, I will get pics up soon. The pen is a lot smaller than I thought, being smaller than a Kaweco Sport. Being Titanium it is light. Posted it makes into a nice sized pen which fits my hand very well and feels comfortable. I inked it with a cartridge of Private Reserve Electric Blue. I will see how it writes today!

Tom

Top Bottom