What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2023.

Lamy Al-Star in ltd ed Petrol ( deep dark turquoise green)
w 3 Lamy “crystal inks.”

I have essentially moved to Lamy as my every day ink with one old school shimmering J Herbin (1670 stormy grey) for Xmas cards and a BSA inspired green from Birmingham Pens/Inks because they are a made in the USA family business.

Lamy Al-Star in ltd ed Petrol ( deep dark turquoise green)
w 3 Lamy “crystal inks.”

I have essentially moved to Lamy as my every day ink with one old school shimmering J Herbin (1670 stormy grey) for Xmas cards and a BSA inspired green from Birmingham Pens/Inks because they are a made in the USA family business.
I looked hard at the AL-Star the last time I was in the shop. It was a great writing pen. I bought a TWSBI instead because of the price, but will likely get one at some point. Lamy reflects German starkness of design, for sure.

The "regular" Lamy ink bottle reflects the ethos as well with an integrated "teat" at the bottom of the bottle allowing for the extraction of nearly the last drop along with the included blotter paper roller.

Indeed, even those who know nothing of FP can usually determine the germanic origin of Lamy by the bottle when compare to the regular Pilot or Waterman Ink Bottles.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Just acquired this Kaweco Sport brass rollerball. Love the feel, balance, smooth ink flow, and the relatively inexpensive cost for a pen with such a great history. Kaweco released the Sport series in conjunction with the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich.

IMG_2047.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
An unopened 50ml bottle of Pelikan Gunther Wagner 4001 royal blue ink. I use the regular 4001 Pelikan royal blue daily but have not tried this - is it any different? I do not need any ink but I liked the pen rest. I believe that the current Gunther Wagner ink bottles are the same as the regular 4001 bottles with no pen rest. This leads me to think this is probably five to ten years old but I am guessing.

20231209_130345~2.jpg

Recently delivered: a Majohn A1 in a fish scale pattern and extra fine nib. I loaded it with some Hero black ink that was part of a pen set. The ink looks either gray (of I'm being charitable) or washed out (if I'm not). Surprisingly smooth for an extra fine nib (better than my Pilot Vanishing Point). This is a metal pen, but not too heavy. Quality wise, this pen compares temporarily to my Pilot Vanishing Point. I paid CAD25 with shipping from the Majohn.

2023-12-09 13.33.40-1.jpg

I accidentally bought a TWSBI Diamond 580 White Rose Gold II with a 1.1 stub nib yesterday. I meant to order the same one in the Mini, but I clicked the wrong button. :facep:However, after talking to the nice folks and they were going to swap out the order before shipping, they discovered a flaw in the Mini (nothing major), so I decided to keep the regular one I ordered. I love this pen anyway and have the smoke version. The smoke is my favorite pen, ever, so I have high hopes for the new pen when it arrives. I don't know which ink, Diamine Iris or Diamine Bougainvillea.

Top Bottom