What's new

The new Portuguese shaving soap: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro

This is my first shave with the new Portuguese shaving soap, "Antiga Barbearia de Bairro"!

The brand "Antiga Barbearia de Bairro" is a project of the Portuguese company "100ml" who wants to bring back the tradition of the old barbershops, some are still open in the Portuguese traditional neighbourhoods.

The words "Antiga Barbearia de Bairro" mean, in Portuguese, "Old Barbershop of the Neighbourhood".

For fulfilling that, the brand launched a small line of products: badger brush (made by Semogue), shaving soap and bath&body soaps (made by Castelbel, a factory located in northern Portugal).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are my first impressions:
The lather is extremely stable and durable. That is what impressed me the most. It remain stable during all the time I took for taking photos and shaving, without the need for adding water!

At the beginning, the lather looked poorly hydrated, without that "wet shiny" look that is typical on another lathers. But this lather is just like that. Despite not having that "shiny" look, it was very voluminous and cushiony.
It provided me with a very comfortable shave, without any irritations, cuts or nicks. It delivers also a good (but not outstanding) glide.

The fragrance is very good: at the beginning, the dominant notes are bergamot and some citric notes, but after building the lather, the fragrance quickly evolves to heavier notes of vanilla and woods (do I detect sandalwood?). Very nice, and it stayed during the shave, but not lingering thereafter.

In the next few days, I will be testing this new Portuguese soap with other brushes. I'm curious of what this soap will deliver with a boar brush, as well as with the Semogue-made badger brush commercialized by this brand.

As a sidenote, I used my Gillette Slim Adjustable, with a setting of 7 with a Gillette Bleue Extra NOS blade.

Some photos:
proxy.php

1ª passage:
proxy.php

After the firts passage, still in the bowl...
proxy.php

...and in the brush, with a small "horn" on top: :lol:
proxy.php

Last edited:
This brand is very new, just launched, and is, for now, and AFAIK, only available in portuguese brick-and-mortar stores. In the near future, they may hit the online stores...

Stay tuned!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Emanuel, amazing write up. As usual! And great pics, too! :thumbup1: Could you give me some further details about this soap? Ingredients list and price?

It is a vegetable-based soap. Here you can see the ingredients list:

proxy.php

And here's a photo of the entire line of products:

proxy.php

The price for the shaving soap, in portuguese shops, is about €15 for the 150g bowl.

Not only that, it is a glycerin-based soap: propylene glycol, the first ingredient, is very closely related to glycerin, and the general makeup is that of a non-traditional soap. The fatty acids are just there for glide and lubrication. €15 for 150 g is a bit steep considering how expensive VDH and Col. Conk are... One does get a nice bowl, though; and truth be told, the lather looks yummy. But still, to launch a product to bring back the old times and give it a decidedly modern base strikes me as a little odd. Grandpa certainly didn't shave with this.

Last edited:
This brand is very new, just launched, and is, for now, and AFAIK, only available in portuguese brick-and-mortar stores. In the near future, they may hit the online stores...

Stay tuned!

Looks like a great offering. Sounds like an opportunity to schedule a Group Buy to me (whistling, walks away....:wink2:)

Thanks for the post!

Ken

the kaolin is a white to light grey natural clay,used for slip and glide,there are only 2 fragrances used,linalool and limonene , what surprises me is that the 3rd ingredient by weight is sugar ! the final lather looks as creamy as martin de candre....nice to see a new product...

Top Bottom