What's new

The new brass 'Merica razor

Just received it on Saturday 10/14/23. It's been a while (maybe close to a year) since I used either the "As machined" Merica or the Stonewashed one, but tried this one but in not ideal conditions. I didn't have any proper soap or brush so just used liquid foam soap 😂😂😂. Didn't have my trusty Lab Blues blades that I pretty much use in every razor I own. I used the included Tatra blades that Yates included. Seemed pretty similar to what I remembered about both the merica razors but less drag due to it being brass. Seemed maybe a little heavier than the SS and I actually welcome that. WTG pass seemed decently efficient and somewhat mild with a noticeable amount of blade feel but that may be from the soap I used and the blade may be a bit rough in general compared to Lab Blues. ATG pass I did with a light hand as I'm not used to using new blades and didn't want any cuts. No drama and after rinsing it left only a small amount of stubble but I didn't want to push it with a third pass. Just going by face feel an hour later I would say it's a B+ DFS. With the proper soap and blade, I'm sure it would be closer to A+ DFS and a third pass would get me to BBS but I rarely try for BBS so I'm sure this will be great on regular use. I'll have to do a comparison shave with the SS version on 1/2 and the other half the new brass merica. All in all it's a nice brass version, although it's more $$$ than the older SS version when it was sold by Wet Shaving Club.

Last edited:
IMG_7832.jpeg

IMG_7833.jpeg

I have the stainless steel Merica in the "as machined" finish before they released the updated base plate (a "version 1"). I find it to be an efficient razor with a very intuitive angle. I have heard others mention "drag," but I don't know what this means because I don't experience anything I would call "drag" when using it (?).

IMG_7836.jpeg

I almost forgot the Merica handle has a magnet to hold the blade which is kind of cool. Also shown is the Yates EH hybrid brass plate (for their Yates 921 razor) which I'll be looking forward to trying. I already have the "as machined" SS EH hybrid plate and I'm sure the brass will be great as well.

Last edited:
I have the stainless steel Merica in the "as machined" finish before they released the updated base plate (a "version 1"). I find it to be an efficient razor with a very intuitive angle. I have heard others mention "drag," but I don't know what this means because I don't experience anything I would call "drag" when using it (?).
I think the drag is usually mentioned with their stonewash finish which is more textured than the bead blast or as machined finish.

View attachment 1733841

I almost forgot the Merica handle has a magnet to hold the blade which is kind of cool. Also shown is the Yates EH hybrid brass plate (for their Yates 921 razor) which I'll be looking forward to trying. I already have the "as machined" SS EH hybrid plate and I'm sure the brass will be great as well.

Very nice razor. I particularly find the handle of the merica nice and recently here I was asking if the merica handle could fit into the Yate 921 head. Since you seem to have both would you know?

Very nice razor. I particularly find the handle of the merica nice and recently here I was asking if the merica handle could fit into the Yate 921 head. Since you seem to have both would you know?
Haven't tried it but I'm assuming both threads are the same since Yates makes both. Pretty sure I've used my Yates Stubby handle on my Aylsworth Drakkant and Kopparkant handle on my Yates before. I'll try them and update here.

Just tried the 'Merica handle on the Yates and Aylsworth Drakkant razors and fits both well. Pretty sure Jake uses standard 10/32" threads on everything. Also tried my Yates Stubby handle on the new brass 'Merica

IMG_7837.jpeg

Brass is appealing, but I don't prefer an uncoated brass razor due to patina (just my preference). I like the "as machined" finish and the feel of the stainless steel. The Merica is a quality razor that performs extremely well for me!

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom