What's new

The Neck Area Shaving Info Thread : post tips, suggestions that would help others.

Another tip, it's so basic it's easy to overlook: watch your blade angle on your neck. We tend to learn about blade angle on our cheeks, where it's easy to see. Take care that your (hopefully shallow) blade angle is the same on your neck, especially on south-to-north strokes, where the razor is upside down. It's easy to be too aggressive.

This is the principle behind bullfrogging, which we less-fat gents can use as well.
This is the same technique I use for my jawline!!!
It allows me to do a side to side (ATG for me on my jaw) while allowing the whole blade to contact akin rather than just the small amount on my jawline. In essense it makes my jaw line disappear and I use it for XTG (s to n) so I can transition between neck and cheek without a drastic 90° angle!!!

That elusive micro-stubble on the next that refuses to go away... I forced myself to stop before I caused undo irritation. After applying and washing my face with the remaining über lather, rinsing off with cold water and applying A/S, I faced a shocking reality.
SWMBO declared the whole face INCLUDING THE NECK, bbs!!!
Evidently I am the only one who feels the micro stubble.

That elusive micro-stubble on the next that refuses to go away... I forced myself to stop before I caused undo irritation. After applying and washing my face with the remaining über lather, rinsing off with cold water and applying A/S, I faced a shocking reality.
I have one square inch on the right side of my neck that is sunken below grade and has defied every shaving tool I've used over the last 40 years. Even after I started wet-shaving, this trouble spot refused to give up, and I could always feel it when I faceturbated, but it wasn't visible to others.

It took about 3 years of trying, and a complicated procedure involving J-hooking and a 4-direction pass, but now I have conquered that spot. I don't do it every shave, but when I'm shooting for that perfect result, I'll spend the extra time to detail that area.

I have one square inch on the right side of my neck that is sunken below grade and has defied every shaving tool I've used over the last 40 years. Even after I started wet-shaving, this trouble spot refused to give up, and I could always feel it when I faceturbated, but it wasn't visible to others.

It took about 3 years of trying, and a complicated procedure involving J-hooking and a 4-direction pass, but now I have conquered that spot. I don't do it every shave, but when I'm shooting for that perfect result, I'll spend the extra time to detail that area.
In my case, it wasn't the case of not being visible, it's that SWMBO didn't even feel it.

Your technique will improve and the micro stubble will go away m

Hey I wanted to throw another tip I just discovered, I feel dumb posting this, but let my lack of common sense, hopefully help someone. My neck has always been my sensitive and PITA shave area especially one side ( the right ). I primarily use a straight razor, and rotate between appx a dozen, but have my favorites I seem to use more often. It never occurred to me though religiously stropping, and occasionally refreshing on diamond or chromium oxide, that is appx .5 microns or, 30K grit..... That it was just not enough ! I recently slightly I call it honed 4 of my most used razors over 40-60 uses each and touched up the edge on a 12K Naniwa stone. Wow ! Simply Wow ! My neck now has zero irritation, no weepers, no irritation NOTHING ! I guess my point is use a sharp blade , in the DE world which I spent 24 years and still occasionally use my DE's ( I have a large collection, which is functional not behind a sealed case ), we which are the people with that sensitive neck area may benefit by daily blade changes or, a sharper blade. I am more in favor of the new blade though, as sharp blades can cause irritation on their own...... I'd stick with what works for you but use a new blade every time..... With a straight razor, a regular routine of stropping, scheduled refreshes and scheduled stone sharpening.... None of our techniques will trump a sharp blade. Hope that helps ! Shave on folks :) !

I tried a different razor/blade combo today (an Edwin Jagger razor head on a Maggard MR8 handle, and a Feather blade with one shave on it). While I was shaving, your post re: “None of our techniques will trump a sharp blade…”, sprung to mind. I got the best, closest, irritation free shave on my neck today that I think I have have ever had. It felt like a ‘eureka’ moment when I checked my neck for stubble after two passes. I have been tweaking my technique lately, but I attribute today’s unexpectedly good result mostly to the sharpness of the Feather blade.
I hope to be able to replicate today’s success on a more or less regular basis, but whatever happens, at least I know it can be done! :thumbup:

I tried a different razor/blade combo today (an Edwin Jagger razor head on a Maggard MR8 handle, and a Feather blade with one shave on it). While I was shaving, your post re: “None of our techniques will trump a sharp blade…”, sprung to mind. I got the best, closest, irritation free shave on my neck today that I think I have have ever had. It felt like a ‘eureka’ moment when I checked my neck for stubble after two passes. I have been tweaking my technique lately, but I attribute today’s unexpectedly good result mostly to the sharpness of the Feather blade.
I hope to be able to replicate today’s success on a more or less regular basis, but whatever happens, at least I know it can be done! :thumbup:

I think technique played a substantial role too.

I think technique played a substantial role too.

Technique may have played a larger role than I first allowed. Perhaps being conscious of having the Feather blade in there made me focus more on using a feather light touch (pun intended) esp. on my neck. I’ve been working hard on the no pressure aspect of technique lately and it is definitely resulting in more comfortable shaves. That said, the Feather blade was really getting the job done.

I appreciate your viewpoint as always, Alex. Thanks!

Technique may have played a larger role than I first allowed. Perhaps being conscious of having the Feather blade in there made me focus more on using a feather light touch (pun intended) esp. on my neck. I’ve been working hard on the no pressure aspect of technique lately and it is definitely resulting in more comfortable shaves. That said, the Feather blade was really getting the job done.

I appreciate your viewpoint as always, Alex. Thanks!
That's an interesting perspective, the sharpness of the Feather gave you more of an incentive to focus on proper technique.

That's an interesting perspective, the sharpness of the Feather gave you more of an incentive to focus on proper technique.

That's it exactly Alex.

I want to say again how much I am enjoying this thread. The posts by all of the members, along with your valuable insights, have been very enlightening on the topic of shaving the neck area, as well as on shaving technique in general. I have learned a great deal from ‘The Neck Area Shaving Info Thread’! :)

That's it exactly Alex.

I want to say again how much I am enjoying this thread. The posts by all of the members, along with your valuable insights, have been very enlightening on the topic of shaving the neck area, as well as on shaving technique in general. I have learned a great deal from ‘The Neck Area Shaving Info Thread’! :)

That is the whole idea of this site as well as the reason I stayed.
Came for the knowledge, stayed for the gentlemanly nature and to be able to help others!!!

This is a great topic. Right now I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that above the jaw line everything on my face is symmetrical and has a clearly defined grain. Below the jaw line, nothing is symmetrical and in the bottom inch or so of my beard, every hair seems to have it's own direction.

I've had some success doing a sort of modified Gillette Slide where I'm holding the razor diagonal to the direction of the stroke, but working that out with the bizarre pattern on my beard is tricky.

Glad I'm not the only one!
Literally every single shave I've had in recent memory has been bunged up around that bottom inch of hair. Bumps and redness always.
Had less irritation using a damn Mach 3 for crying out loud.
It may be idiot proof but it does a good job for curly headed knobs like me :)
That being said, I haven't quite given up on safety razors yet. Bought myself a Hydro 3 in a moment of weakness, and the 50% off on the handle + carts helped a bunch.

Glad I'm not the only one!
Literally every single shave I've had in recent memory has been bunged up around that bottom inch of hair. Bumps and redness always.
Had less irritation using a damn Mach 3 for crying out loud.
It may be idiot proof but it does a good job for curly headed knobs like me :)
That being said, I haven't quite given up on safety razors yet. Bought myself a Hydro 3 in a moment of weakness, and the 50% off on the handle + carts helped a bunch.

By me they have the bic sensitive single blade disposables for around $3 for 12. If anything, finish up that area with one of those.
That's what I do when my neck had to be BBS for a collar shirt. Still practice, but when a good shave is needed there with little to no irritation, use the bic for you last pass there and touchups, just keep it lathered.
Call it cheating, but I call it doing what works, until I get that area down.

I generally try to shave every day and will typically only be shaving my neck since I maintain a "beard" (beard might be stretching it) so I like to think I've gotten neck shaving down to a science. Rule number one is prep. Get those beard hair soaked through and through. I like to face lather and make sure that my lather is nice and slick before letting it sit on the skin for a little bit. Depending on when I shaved last, I'll take 1.5-2.5 passes. I think the thing that made the biggest difference for me was beard mapping my neck pretty extensively. Neck hair does some really weird stuff. Second biggest thing I did was switching to a shallow angle shave. Maintaining a shallow angle will give me a great shave every time. I can go steep angle and highly recommend it if a spot is resisting the blade in order to get the required smoothness. Just remember that BBS isn't necessary. Stopping at DFS with no irritation is always better than BBS with irritation and/or ingrowns. My deux cents.

That's it exactly Alex.

I'm glad you have learned from the thread. Our members are something special just like your self. They are willing to help.

Sandstone I agree it's a combination, but I do feel a sharp blade cuts easier, and for some reduces irritation, and number of passes needed. Do not as Alex said sell yourself short though :) you are consciously trying to get better results, and that means your "upping" your technique with tips here as well as just knowing your neck better ! Bottom line is that traditional shaving is a journey, and for most of us a pretty long one. I for one hope I never " fully" get it right or, what would I look forward too tomorrow. Great job keep up your hard work !

Sandstone I agree it's a combination, but I do feel a sharp blade cuts easier, and for some reduces irritation, and number of passes needed. Do not as Alex said sell yourself short though :) you are consciously trying to get better results, and that means your "upping" your technique with tips here as well as just knowing your neck better ! Bottom line is that traditional shaving is a journey, and for most of us a pretty long one. I for one hope I never " fully" get it right or, what would I look forward too tomorrow. Great job keep up your hard work !

Thanks for you kind words. You’re right, it’s about enjoying the journey and the possibility of new discoveries to be made with each shave. :thumbup:

I always go for beard reduction not removal.

I've been reading this thread and working on my darn sensitive throat area...
Occasionally, I'm able to get a three pass almost BBS on my throat, but the sides are almost always irritated. The few times I've been able to do it without irritation or nicks, I pay close attention to what I did but never seem able to replicate my results. I can get a BBS with a disposable Schick but always get nicks. I love my DE experience head shaving so far, but my throat... I think I'm just going to settle for DFS on the throat for now. Good thing I have a beard, it's not that big of a deal.

I've been reading this thread and working on my darn sensitive throat area...
Occasionally, I'm able to get a three pass almost BBS on my throat, but the sides are almost always irritated. The few times I've been able to do it without irritation or nicks, I pay close attention to what I did but never seem able to replicate my results. I can get a BBS with a disposable Schick but always get nicks. I love my DE experience head shaving so far, but my throat... I think I'm just going to settle for DFS on the throat for now. Good thing I have a beard, it's not that big of a deal.

Wish my wife would let me grow a beard so that I don't have to shave my neck. It is really hard to do those areas. I am hoping that Alex is right and my technique improves. I do keep getting better and better shaves though so must be doing something right.

As for advice, I found that some Aloe Vera and/or moisturizer helps. Not so much with the shaving itself, but if you notice irritation and soreness it might be a good idea to give those areas of your skin some extra moisture (in addition to after shave etc of course) between shaves. THe scorching heat we have in the uk this week probably isn't doing much for my skin either to be fair.

Top Bottom