What's new

The Neck Area Shaving Info Thread : post tips, suggestions that would help others.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I go for consistent comfort over closeness every time. Still, with the mild razors I use, I get a close shave, irritation free. I sported a beard for years, because the irritation below my jawline was inevitable. I tested the water with straight razors decades ago to mitigate irritation but it just wasn’t my daily driver. DE razors, blade selection and technique have changed things for me. I go WTG below my jaw, changing direction several times to accommodate pattern growth. I am going for beard reduction, a light touch and don’t go over any areas without re lathering. If it’s not perfectly smooth that’s ok, I move on in favour of comfort. I know there are guys that achieve both comfort and super smooth, just not me, but I’ve found what works through trial and error. Happy shaves!

After 1 year of DE shaving and following the 3 wtg, xtg & atg passes or more...these are my own conclusion...on my own face and neck...ymmv of course..
1. Razor and blade choice is important especially for atg pass...a sharp but smooth blade is the best...regardless of razors..
After much variety...finally found some blades that fit the sharp but smooth criteria..
2. I must go atg under jawline and neck...wtg & xtg leave behind noticeably stubbles.
3. Under both jawline and neck atg is from east to west and west to east (ear to throat). I struggle for a long time here...multiple weepers and irritation...
Now, I can get it done much better due to learning how to contort the face and neck making a smoother surface.
4. Giving up alum except for weepers does wonders for my neck. Used to cause redness and itchy irritation after applying alum. Using icy water rinse instead and a special Thayers mix (with teatree, lavender & peppermint) for disinfection works much better than alum.
5. Using Hyaluronic Acid as described here in B&B really helps to soothe and softens the neck area.
Well, the above are my findings...hope it can help.
I am still learning to get the perfect shave (would not happen of course)... :laugh:

Top Bottom