What's new

The most manly smelling cologne?

I agree on wearing what YOU enjoy, but Trumpers Sandalwood is my favorite and also smells the most manly to me.

If you are worrying too much about how "manly" you smell, you are not going to choose the cologne you most enjoy. Make a statement, be yourself, and smell how you want to.

I remember reading about a study somewhere long long ago to the effect that men purchase scents based on what they find attractive eg. "manly" scents like leather, tobacco and so on, whereas these scents while not by any means offensive to women, are not the scents that women prefer. If memory serves, women apparently tend to like more floral scents.

So here's the question: does one want to attract men or women? One's choice of scents will be determined by the answer to that question.

Here's a link to a Psychology Tody article called The Smell of Love.

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-1174.html

Though I've never had the pleasure of smelling it, I'm certain that the most manly smelling cologne in the universe is . . .MANDOM!

The most literally manly smell is sandalwood -- the real thing, not the fiddles and knockoffs. The molecule which does most of the work in sandalwood is very close to testosterone. (Try Creed Santal Imperial for a subtle but unmistakeable version).

Just like vanillin is very close to the smell of the maternal breast, which is perhaps why it triggers such deep reactions in most of us.

The most womanly smell... well, bless my soul, but, depending on your gal, it's musk, ambergris, castoreum or civet -- that last being what the Guerlain's used to refer to as the "senteur de la femme". (Now that Guerlain is owned by LVMH, they have redefined the scent of a woman to be an accord of insecurity, gullibility and that slightly aromatic plastic they make credit cards out of :mad: )

But, hey, seriously, a guy who thinks his natural smell is "offensive" is making some big errors. We all smell pretty ripe if we neglect our personal hygeine for long enough, but the smell of a clean man is no more offensive than the smell of a clean woman. Just different. Whoever gave our friend the idea that his natural smell is "offensive" needs to revise their thinking a bit.

Indeed, the most attractive fragrance a man can wear, according to a 73% majority of women in a survey I have [RIFLES THROUGH DESK, GRUNTING AND CHEWING ON CHEAP CIGAR]... somewhere, is nothing at all. Just clean skin.

But guess what: the fragrance industry (as opposed to artisanal craft perfumers/artistes) don't want us to know that.

As the French say, "Today's sweat, yes. Yesterday's sweat: no."

So true my friend!

Let's face it, pouring perfume over yourself just isn't manly. Men don't smell of fragrances, we smell of sweat! Manly men don't ponce around at home preening themselves, they roam over battlefields, ride horses many miles in the sun, headbut trees down, and wrestle with badgers!

Manly scents:
Sweat
Gunpowder
Horsesweat
Leather
Tobacco
Badger blood
Woodsmoke

Polo Green. I recieved one once as a gift ... I could not use it, I was very young back then and it has a strong "manly" smell.

I'm all about tailoring the scent to the significant other you intend to impress.

If her Dad was awesome. Research what he used to wear. Wear that.
Otherwise pay attention to some scent she says she loves and duplicate it.

A man impresses those he wants to impress.

I think we block our natural scent a little too much. A leading cause in incompatible relationships that some other guy will get a nobel prize for publishing the obvious.

But the smell like animal gonad industry is a multi billion dollar effort.

Who can argue with the almighty buck?

Can anyone define "manly"?

Randy

What I might wear around mostly men and what I might wear for my S.O. wouldn't necessarily come from the same bottle. I read once where the smell of a man's sweat (fresh sweat, not B.O.!) is the most aphrodesiac to women, yet TTBOMK no cologne reputes to duplicate it :biggrin:

Fellows, a splash of super unleaded 89 just behind the ears and across the wrists ... well, the ladies go nuts for it.

J

Just Mike

a couple candidates:

Creed Bois de Portugal
the original Dunhill (1934)
Trumper's Marlborough
Hugh Parsons Traditional

Top Bottom