What's new

The MMA Thread

Cormier couldnt take jones down, and jones couldn't take gus down. I'm hoping gus can KO him in the stand up, if he can avoid the TD. Which makes sense that he does.

Cormier couldnt take jones down, and jones couldn't take gus down. I'm hoping gus can KO him in the stand up, if he can avoid the TD. Which makes sense that he does.

On paper you're right and I'm with you rooting for Gus, but my gut says Cormier will get inside and take him down. From what I've heard Jones didn't take Gus seriously at all and only trained for a couple weeks for that fight. I still really hope Gus wins, but I think Cormier keeps his "belt".

I'm really excited for Hendricks vs Woodley. If both those guys come to throw it could be a barn burner.

Nevermind my excitement about Hendricks vs Woodley. Hendricks is out. He's in the hospital due to complications from the cut. Woodley is now set to get the winner of Lawler vs Condit.

That guy has to move up, but then he'll be overpowered by those big guys.

I can't stand it when someone doesn't make weight, it's a slap in the face to their opponent.

Son of a!! Damn weight cuts man!

How do you feel about the new regulations that are banning rehydrating by IV?

Part of me likes it, because I think guys cut way too much weight. But I also don't like telling an adult what to do with their body weight.

I agree with Joe Rogan, I'd like to see more weight classes.

Hendricks does bring a lot of it on himself though. Ever seen him between fights. I remember the day that they revealed the Reebok uniforms, he looked like a short Roy Nelson. He's got to stay in shape between fights.

That guy has to move up, but then he'll be overpowered by those big guys.

I can't stand it when someone doesn't make weight, it's a slap in the face to their opponent.

The UFC viewed it as a win for Woodley and did award him the next 170 title shot (after Condit and as always with title shots, hopefully. I hope they uphold their word.)

I am fine with the IV ban . . . if a fighter wants to cut 40+ lbs like Rumble used to in order to fight at 170, then let rehydrate without the needle. Why should he have any advantage over a fighter who only cuts 10-20 lbs?

And no thank you to the idea of more weight classes. We do not need this to become boxing, with weight classes separated by less than 10 lbs. The fighters will adapt to the new rules, and we will see a rationalization of who is fighting in what weight classes. The IV ban is a safety issue in my opinion as drastic weight cuts have a negative effect on the long term health of a competitor.
And for all the folks thinking about how someone like Hendricks will get smashed by the "huge" middleweights, don't you think some of those middleweights will be moving up to 205 for the same reasons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do the weigh ins on fight day. No time for any shenanigans. Just jump on the scale then go get your hands wrapped and get ready for them to cue your walk on music. That would cut out all this short term weight cut nonsense. Guys could work with a nutritionist to reset their base weight, but cutting for fights would be a much simpler thing because there would be not time for massive rehydration.

Just do the weigh ins on fight day. No time for any shenanigans. Just jump on the scale then go get your hands wrapped and get ready for them to cue your walk on music. That would cut out all this short term weight cut nonsense. Guys could work with a nutritionist to reset their base weight, but cutting for fights would be a much simpler thing because there would be not time for massive rehydration.
I'd be up for that. You fight at your weight, not at how much you can loose before the fight.

As for the card, the undercard was AMAZINGLY ENTERTAINING for me. Even the womens fight, Rose was fun to watch with that choke.

I was sort of dissapointed in gus, i felt he was closer to finishing the fight than the other guy. But i can see why he got the win. 2 years off for suga shad didnt do him any favors. I guess its either bader for the next title shot, or bader vs rumble for the next shot at the #1 contender title. And i still see no way that cormier beats jones after tonight.

Joe B and Bagautinov was an awesome fight. Same goes for eye and pena. I just watched the northcutt bout, i'm impressed for sure, but give him a top wrestler before hyping the kid. At 19, the ufc can take some time to build him up. I tell ya, that kid with very good takedown defense could be champ.

Rose looked great last night. Definitely needs a stiffer test. Maybe give her Esparza?
Definitely more impressed with some of the prelims than the Main Card.
Bader v. Evans had the feel of a placeholder fight for Bader. Win, and he stays in the mix to fight DC. Lose, and . . .
Pena fight was disappointing from the standpoint that her development seems minimal, even considering the injury lay-off. Eye looked very much improved and her grappling from the bottom was a very nice addition.
Main Event was a good fight, with occasional fits of frustration. Someone needs to teach Gus how to BACK-PEDAL rather than just run away. Looks HORRIBLE to the judges and might have cost him a round. Could not believe the fans were actually starting to boo at one point.

Solid night of fights, but nothing to get too excited about. Could just as easily have been a "free" card.

Coming off a brutal loss to Rumble, Gus was lucky to get the title shot last night. That having been said, I don't think he was in as good a place to take advantage of the opportunity as he would have been if he had at least one solid win since his loss. I think he did well to protect himself through the first round and stay competitive, but he was not the dominant fighter that I've seen him in other outings. He just looked too reactive. MrLara is right--if Jones manages to stop by the gym before getting back into the ring, I don't think that any of the top contenders have anything for him.

I think it's time for Shad to hang up his gloves. He could manage to spend a couple more years getting knocked around by up and coming fighters or looking for rematches with old rivals, but I don't think he's exciting enough a fighter to make that worthwhile. Better to go to full time commentary while you are still able to complete sentences.

I think Rashad should try two more fights before making the call. He WAS out for about two years, so a little ring-rust is expected. Conditioning was good. Still, he seemed tentative and was just looking for power shots vs. putting together 3-5 strike combinations.

Not sure about Rashad, I think he still has some good fights left, but i don't want to see him fight up and comers. He can still fight top competition, should he lose two in a row. Then he probably has some thinking to do. And I think Gus should change camps, maybe to a more wrestling based camp. And to work on his counter punching and defense. Instead of turning around and run a bit to avoid getting hit.

Top Bottom