What's new

The Metric System

Any measurement system is contrived by humans. As long as all parties to a particular measurement agree on how to do it, then they're good to go. I agree that the metric is more "logical", but I am wed to the English system and love it, but I can use metric when needed. Also, seems odd to me that metric system has no liquid measure larger then a liter.

Beerglasses larger than a liter are not practical :wink2:

Edit: of course there is the kiloliter (1000l).

Last edited:
Honestly
I hate the Imperial system.

At work we use 3 systems, the Imperial, the Metric and the API.
We have manufactures and research centers in several countrys, USA (Houston) France (Paris), China, Japan etc.......and there is no harmonisation on the system used.
For "proudly made in the USA" (as the sticker says) we have to use imperial hand tools, for the other stuff it's plain metric. So it's a bit of a pain to have all in double and never know what to expect...........and then the API for the cross overs and downhole stuff, even more painfull as sometimes the clients will use an other standard.

I remember in a training school (Tulsa OK) I was told to measure the lenght of a specific tool and i came up with 12,4 feet.
And I did not know if the software asked me for 12 feet and 4 inches or 12 feet and 0.4 feet............very confusing......

We also have some pressure vessels for samples in 1 Gallon and 2-3/4 Gallons............but the Us gallon is diferent from the UK Gallon, and of course I was in Scotland so the client got even more confused.........

For precision and non mistakes possible I prefer the metric system....well you know water freezes at ZERO DegCelcius and boils at 100 DegCelcius (minus variations from pressure of course), and we use the decimal system everyday with money.

Rgds

Jason

I see a reason why USA-made cars never caught on here :lol:

Yeah, it's because of the conspiracy!! ;) See the posting of the guy at the radio on field day.

Imperial is like crossword puzzles; keeps you mentally alert. Metric is like watching TV; decays your mental faculties.

Pardon me, I've got to pay for this shopping cart of tin foil.

I agree that the metric is more "logical", but I am wed to the English system and love it, but I can use metric when needed. Also, seems odd to me that metric system has no liquid measure larger then a liter.

The cubic metre is the next volume up from a litre. 1 Cubic Metre = 1000 litres.

Eeyore - I'd argue with that. A pint beer glass is the perfect size, as long as it's a British pint and not one of those short measure American things that's not even half a litre!

Gareth

We usually talk in cubic centimeters........as 1 liter = 1000 cc
And 1000 liters = 1 cubic meter = 1 metric tonne (for water with a density of 1g/cc) , makes things easyier to put together.

Also, seems odd to me that metric system has no liquid measure larger then a liter.

See below.

The cubic metre is the next volume up from a litre. 1 Cubic Metre = 1000 litres.

Not really ... :tongue_sm

$ged-math-metric-table2.png

$metricchart.gif

The metric system extends from 1 million smaller than the unit, to 1 million bigger.

I first heard that story from one of my 'guides' when I served in the US Military there. Never forgot. Actually laid eyes on some of the billboards.

Hilarious.

Reminds of the Mitsubishi Pajero, had to be renamed for the Spanish market, there it is known as Montero.

A simple Google search will tell you why, I can't say it here ... :lol:

Makes me think of the confusion that foreign brands seemed to have with the German "Mist" :wink2:

If you want to sell a "body mist" in Germany, it's better to call it a "body spray" lol

What system of measurement was first on the moon? That's right standard, it is standard for a reason. I'll take the precision of 64ths of an inch over millimeters any day.

Top Bottom