What's new

Audi e-tron

Étron is French for turd.

How did this name get past management? The countries share a border, there must be someone at Audi that speaks French!

Maybe it’s a manure powered engine.
Brilliant. Just like the Toyota MR2 sports car, when MR2 is pronounced in French as ‘merde’ which means poo.

Anyway, as lovely as the Audi is, it also lives up to the French name since anybody who bought one has lost a great deal of money.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Urban legend is rife with these, some true, some not.
The tale of the Chevy Nova not selling well in Spanish speaking countries is a myth.
I know the Audi TT gets a chuckle in the Philippines because titi is slang for male genitalia.
It is reported that the Ford Pinto suffered in Brazil as in Portuguese slang, Pinto is small male genitalia. Ford reportedly renamed it Corcel.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Mitsubishi had an early SUV, probably 35 years or so ago, and it was named Pajero. For Spanish and Latin countries, and I think also here in the US, it was named Montero. My neighbor in Germany had one. Eventually he found out what the name means and sold it....

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This is why BMW give their cars numbers like 320.
...and Mercedes, too.

VW had years ago two cars named after Winds: Sirocco (was a two-door sporty car) and Passat (THE German family car). Now every one was betting what the smallest car of their line would be named, most went for Fart....but, they named it Polo.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am informed that when Mercedes Benz went into the Chinese market, they originally called their line "Bensi". Which is phonetically identical to the Mandarin word for "Rush to die".

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
...and Mercedes, too.

VW had years ago two cars named after Winds: Sirocco (was a two-door sporty car) and Passat (THE German family car). Now every one was betting what the smallest car of their line would be named, most went for Fart....but, they named it Polo.
Ikea had a similar issue with a mobile work desk.

10668924_764055876984644_1382397336401208774_o.png

Mitsubishi had an early SUV, probably 35 years or so ago, and it was named Pajero. For Spanish and Latin countries, and I think also here in the US, it was named Montero. My neighbor in Germany had one. Eventually he found out what the name means and sold it....
We had a bunch of those in Kuwait. They weren’t bad. Better ride than my Humvee.

Top Bottom