What's new

The Great Canadian Pass Around Box 5 (Signup + the round) CTB5

Another face-to-face meeting between fellow members! Woot!

@SharpieB , so what did you keep and what did you add? Inquiring minds want to know!
I kept the Razorock razor stand and the Razorock fat stainless razor handle. And a few tucks of blades. Nothing else I can think of. I will post an update if I kept more, but I don’t think I did. I was going to keep the Musgo Real cream but @rockviper vetoed me there. 😜 Kidding, I will bug him for one of his Musgo tubes when I see him next.

I also put the Ever-Ready GEM razor aside for @Balin as he forgot to pull it out of the box before handing it off to me. I will get the razor to you next time we meet up with a bunch of GEM blades from my Connaught stash.

linty1

My wallet cries.
@linty1, I believe the smaller Canada Post boxes are 5kg. But, the one above will allow you to send a heavier box. That being said, it's only if you use the prepaid boxes. It might be cheaper to repackage a box and go to the counter. I think that you can enter the measurements and weight in the Canada Post app to give you an idea.
Thanks Luc.. I'll... I gotta pick up an item from CP on Monday so I'll look then. The glass bottles are my worry, previously it was all hand offs, (and going through the box right now, there's already a leak happening).. I think when I ship it I will pack it so it doesn't move/no clanging so it moves as one unit. I don't have bubble to individually wrap everything anyways. Anyways photos!

03FC231C-6FB4-4B9D-8277-FED55323EA6C.jpeg

Not for me, but a nice looking strop, didn't realize @rbscebu Richard was part of this (jk!).

04E636C2-FDC5-4385-A2B3-A89532F161FB.jpeg

Fragrances, aftershaves, brushes galore. While the liquids don't interest me too much, the Gada, Musgo and Lea do.... I will pull those aside to try...

E54540E6-9145-4AAE-A93F-05E6E4AA367D.jpeg

There's a leak somewhere.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Leak identified!

25896154-64A6-407F-9516-31F3C7856A49.jpeg

Looks like someone hulked the lid on the Epsilon and its cracked. I tried taping it but its not holding... I'll think of something later.

1ED5AB1B-FBFB-447D-9816-4D4C63DAF20A.jpeg

What razor is this? It reminds me of my bakelite razor... but the finish etc makes me wanna say its some Italian Barber/razorock razor... very neat.

Alright time for some family shots:

DD5EAF6E-90C9-4684-BA0E-4D4F97DEC687.jpeg

41BF0376-285A-450C-BA73-4C4EB1E80E18.jpeg

5F5472F4-E149-4106-99DE-AD6CF0240596.jpeg

That white bottle of Old Spice/custom brew is very cute lol, and the hit sauce bottles are holding/a great idea.

A question on the Lea/Musgo/Gada, are they all brush/lather creams? or latherless?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Looks good, @linty1 !

Use a brush with the creams. You should only need a small amount of the Musgo to do the trick, but use as much as you want/need!

If you like the Tabac, I put in a stick specifically so it would be easy for folks to cut off a slice (unless they want the whole stick and deny other the glorious experience of the now unobtanium tallow version)

With aftershaves, I typically would put some cling-wrap over the opening before screwing on the top (or pushing the cap in on the OS bottle). No leaks this way when I travel. Bubble-wrap and packing peanuts should work great on the bottles, or if you don't have that, some old underwear should do the trick... Ummm, I mean ... an old t-shirt.

Looking forward to your reviews of stuff.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
@linty1 for the aftershaves, it's better to make sure that they are closed all the way and then use tape to seal them. I have a suitcase that smells like Brut (permanently) because I did not use tape. If you cannot seal the bottle that leaked you can either transfer it to another bottle (I believe the dollar store has some for cheap) or take it out.

When I shipped the box, I used newspaper, flyer paper, etc. I tried to keep it to a minimum. It's mainly to avoid any movement inside the box.

As for the razor, I think that I bought a baby-butt smooth razor from Italian Barber. It's aluminum. I ended up not using it that much. I have a Tupperware of unused razors that some might lose sleep if I show it...

linty1

My wallet cries.
First shave and the only thing that I will try from the boxes are a few of the creams. First is my mail nemesis: Lea. Why nemesis? Lea is a product I’ve purchased a few (3-4 times) online via ebay, and it has NEVER arrived. Not once. All lost in the nether. To see a pristine box in the passaround bin? Love it. The load out:

IMG_5376.jpeg

Actually haven’t used a brush/bowl in a while as lately I’ve been trying to use up/burn off my brushless creams… so selected my tried tested and true brush, my RV “Arley”. Gsb blade (my own) into a Ti Wr1 head/ti timeless handle.

Whipped it up easily… smells… light hint of leather and…. Is that cigar smoke?

IMG_5377.jpeg

After a pass I start to feel some menthol. Its wonderfully slick and shaves easily. Does Lea come in other fragrances? Im more of a citrus/fruit/menthol guy, but based just on performance, this one is great. One more shave in two days and I’ll move on to the musgo and gaba, two shaves each and I imagine the box will move after that.

First shave and the only thing that I will try from the boxes are a few of the creams. First is my mail nemesis: Lea. Why nemesis? Lea is a product I’ve purchased a few (3-4 times) online via ebay, and it has NEVER arrived. Not once. All lost in the nether. To see a pristine box in the passaround bin? Love it. The load out:

View attachment 1813683

Actually haven’t used a brush/bowl in a while as lately I’ve been trying to use up/burn off my brushless creams… so selected my tried tested and true brush, my RV “Arley”. Gsb blade (my own) into a Ti Wr1 head/ti timeless handle.

Whipped it up easily… smells… light hint of leather and…. Is that cigar smoke?

View attachment 1813689

After a pass I start to feel some menthol. Its wonderfully slick and shaves easily. Does Lea come in other fragrances? Im more of a citrus/fruit/menthol guy, but based just on performance, this one is great. One more shave in two days and I’ll move on to the musgo and gaba, two shaves each and I imagine the box will move after that.
The LEA Classic has a sandalwood and moss scent and has a fair bit of menthol.
The LEA sensitive (100 and 250 ml) has a clean soapy scent without menthol.
The LEA menthol has a clean scent similar to the Classic.
Connaught shaving has been reliable for me to buy LEA products.

Hope that helps some 😄

Hey guys, thought I would post this here for fellow Canadians…

Just a heads up that Amazon has 50 packs of Wizamets for under $15 shipped in a few days if you have Prime. Pretty good deal if you don’t want to order 500+ and wait for a few weeks. I have most of a 250 pack left but another 50 should take me to the end of the line. 🤪

Razor Blades Club is legit as well.

5 left.

Last edited:

Just a heads up that Amazon has 50 packs of Wizamets for under $15 shipped in a few days if you have Prime. Pretty good deal if you don’t want to order 500+ and wait for a few weeks. I have most of a 250 pack left but another 50 should take me to the end of the line. 🤪

5 left.

Tempting, but I don't generally get along with most stainless blades. I don't know what it is about them, but I've had a few bad experiences with blades like Astra SS and RK.

5 left.

Darn you SharpieB. Like I need more blades... "clicks Add To Cart"

linty1

My wallet cries.

5 left.

Are these the ones that are "Posilvers" but different packaging?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Second night with the Lea cream:

5F1E2FC8-0A55-4F84-8A92-5C0B46B11B4E.jpeg

And another very close, slick shave. As a product, its fantastic, easy to use. The only issue is the smell. Isn't really my cup of tea. Still, grest product and luckily the smell isn't strong/lingers.

Noticed two little samples of Kiss my Face grapefruit, what a throwback, kmf was one of my very first creams, where did whoever get it from? I'll leave it, as I'm familiar with the prod.

Next up is the Musgo, in 2 days.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Load out for tonight:

77D2FDE0-785D-48D3-BA09-8AD4C0513074.jpeg

Same, except this time it's Musgo, spiced citrus. Here it is out of the tube:

B9E52E73-B399-44DC-B205-0F4E88608566.jpeg

The smell is... very faint, even when lathered. Not really any "spice" nor "citrus", but I have a bum nose. To me it smells like generic "aftershave". The performance? Seems to lather a bit better than the Lea (which was great), and like the Lea, is really cushiony and slick. Really easy, Protective shave was had. Between Musgo and Lea... its close.

One more shave with the musgo in two days and then the Gada. -If- I had to pick one between the Lea and Musgo... I'd actually maybe lean Lea. The light menthol was the deciding factor for me.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just noticed a "Vie Long" brush in there... what kinda bristle is it? I associate Vie Long with horse hair... it feels really soft brushed in hand.

FED35A2E-65C4-46BE-B1E1-7A91A190E1DA.jpeg

That old spice bottle is insanely cute lol love it. And the fact that it contains "someone's homemade white sauce" practicaly makes it a national treasure lol

8B8FAF31-D889-47A1-AADA-CDF1D909A31E.jpeg

I'm very tempted to at least try this... its an aftershave yes? I've basically never used any pre or post shaves ever.. sometimes a menthol aftershave I have, but thats very rare.

linty1

My wallet cries.
The Vie Long is indeed a horsie. The Clubman milk is an aftershave product; milk is not as thick as a balm. The base recipe is in my sig.
Interesting in both fronts... horse hair brushes I've seen and wondered in the past.. and while the pricing usually isn't prohibitive, I've never purchase one in case I didn't like it after it's first shave. Just use it like a badger? Soak it like a boar?

Top Bottom