What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

TV on the blink? You can watch the AC instead ...

53-5-25.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Oh yeah, 100%.

And no flashy pipe here too. That typical old school billiard is always my weapon of choice.

A straighter airway is almost always going to be a better smoking one, if not the most attractive or interesting one.

Billiards, pots and apples. Can't go wrong with any of those, generally speaking.

Glad that gentlemen have re-discovered the morning pipe with coffee. Evenings with a glass of cola are not too bad, either.

I’m surprised no one noticed the resemblance between our two for today.
Golf clubs in both.

What I find odd is the guy with pipe in hand just after a game, one so vigorous he needs to change in the locker room.

SAE 30-weight motor oil was a standard blend back then, before the development of multi-viscosity oils. Possibly 30 was a problem for starting in cold climates -- and if so, maybe there was an SAE 20-weight?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m surprised no one noticed the resemblance between our two for today.

Golf clubs in both.

What I find odd is the guy with pipe in hand just after a game, one so vigorous he needs to change in the locker room.

SAE 30-weight motor oil was a standard blend back then, before the development of multi-viscosity oils. Possibly 30 was a problem for starting in cold climates -- and if so, maybe there was an SAE 20-weight?

A pipe in both?

Pipe aside, it's the golf clubs AND the travel. Both have a suitcase, and look like they're making a trip.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Golf clubs in both.

Depended on the climate. But 30 was usually a temperate to summer weight, with 20 for cooler and winter temps, and even 10 for arctic conditions.

I knew a few who did just fine year round on a 20. We are talking US-made gasoline engines. Europeans and diesels sometimes recommended a little heavier then.

The straight weights persisted for a number of years after the first multi-vis oils came out. The earliest multi-vis oils weren't all that good.

We're a little ways into the 1950s. These oils such as X-100 were breakthrough for the time, but still what would be called today API SC oils. Some were still ok in engines made into the late 60s, right before the first emission controls started being added. But they would not hold up long in today's engines ... nor would the engines.

Then the synthetics arrived, claiming "25,000 mile oil changes". Maybe on a '70 Ford LTD ... maybe. But not on the later ones.

There are so many manufacturer-specific engine oil specs today, it can be Russian roulette if you don't pay attention. We need three different engine oils for four vehicles.

Back in the day, it was a lot easier to get a quart of oil that worked fine for most every car at every filling station. And they indeed checked your oil with the fill-up, as the engines did use a little between changes.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

The old-time summer vacation. In the family car, not an airliner.

Sometimes returning with a "South of the Border" bumper sticker, to tell everyone where you went.

The old-time summer vacation. Hopefully coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

53-7-20.jpg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

The old-time summer vacation. In the family car, not an airliner.

Sometimes returning with a "South of the Border" bumper sticker, to tell everyone where you went.

The old-time summer vacation. Hopefully coming soon to a neighborhood near you.
Yes, all the wonderful things you get to see along the way. :thumbsup:

I'm planning a road trip to Indiana this June, to scope out some places as possible retirement boltholes. Hope it won't be too hot, and that the roads and streets will be well-paved.

In years gone by I've driven for vacation -- out to Carlsbad, NM, Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park, and Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo. Two 10-hour days each way. But a lot simpler and more interesting than getting on a plane, especially now.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Fairly popular tires back in the day. I remember my father buying them in pairs at the local Esso station.

53-7-20.2.jpg

Top Bottom