What's new

The average age of members…. then there’s me.

I'm 37 now but got started in my early 20's. I was even a member here back then but with a different username.

I found wet shaving because I could only shave with a cartridge razor about once every 3 days and was looking for a better, more comfortable experience.

I'm fast approaching 60 and have been using my Kronos H1 and a Simpson brush for about 9 yrs now. Prior to that it was electrics and cartridge razors to complete "the chore". I enjoy my shaves now more than I did then. I'm not a fanatic, but I very much appreciate a fine shaving tool.

Rarely post but have been using a straight since 1965. Neither son had any desire to pursue that path but respect that I like the old ways of doing many things and don't really care what others think. I am proud to not be a part of the current American Idiocracy. Greg

So I’m smiling even now as I write this… because I’ve always wanted to write a thread on this… but couldn’t bring myself to.

I’d like to have a light-hearted discussion with my fellow wet shavers… I hope this is appropriate.

I’ve yet to find someone close my age here in B&B and that’s not a bad thing… however I find it incredibly amusing the more I see how I’m an outlier in a way… or maybe… this thread will reveal I’m not as much one.

I started collecting vintage razors at 16 years of age… the first ever was a Gillette Old Type 3-piece in an antique store and I was so intrigued by it. It was so niche, so fascinating and so forgotten. I bought it and began to love looking for and collecting them. It eventually led me (reluctantly) after years of collecting, into shaving with them. I’ve been officially a daily wet-shaver for about 7 months now and I’ve got the hang of it… I love it!

So I’m going to ask.. Have you ever met a 22 year old young man… who’s heavily into wet shaving? What are your thoughts… or EVEN advice to a young buck. I actually find it awesome that men of all ages some old enough to be my grandfather or even father… can come together with me over this passion. I encourage men of all ages to please engage here. I anxiously look forward to your responses or feedback.
Heh. I got you beat. I’m slightly younger than you! I didn’t realize the age gap between people our age and other gentlemen on this forum. Now that you mention it I’ve not talked to anyone our age that is into wet shaving!

Now that I’m thinking of it perhaps its because many people our age are more inclined to “fit in” and follow trends for a week then switch topics the next week. I don’t know about you but I’m not on social media at all and very much follow my interests into the deep rabbit hole that they are. I rarely get interested in something because my peers are. Maybe you can shed your thoughts?

So I’m smiling even now as I write this… because I’ve always wanted to write a thread on this… but couldn’t bring myself to.

I’d like to have a light-hearted discussion with my fellow wet shavers… I hope this is appropriate.

I’ve yet to find someone close my age here in B&B and that’s not a bad thing… however I find it incredibly amusing the more I see how I’m an outlier in a way… or maybe… this thread will reveal I’m not as much one.

I started collecting vintage razors at 16 years of age… the first ever was a Gillette Old Type 3-piece in an antique store and I was so intrigued by it. It was so niche, so fascinating and so forgotten. I bought it and began to love looking for and collecting them. It eventually led me (reluctantly) after years of collecting, into shaving with them. I’ve been officially a daily wet-shaver for about 7 months now and I’ve got the hang of it… I love it!

So I’m going to ask.. Have you ever met a 22 year old young man… who’s heavily into wet shaving? What are your thoughts… or EVEN advice to a young buck. I actually find it awesome that men of all ages some old enough to be my grandfather or even father… can come together with me over this passion. I encourage men of all ages to please engage here. I anxiously look forward to your responses or feedback.
Well, I’m 27, but I bought my first safety razor at 17, and fully got into safety razor shaving at 23!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The only way I'm likely to meet someone into wet shaving the way I am is if I met up with someone from B&B. ;) There is a group of wet shavers on FB who all live in Florida.... but most of them are from S. Florida.. and we're up in North Central Florida... so a bit of a hike for a meetup with them.

I was about 20 when I started. As many college kids do, I was stretching out M3 cartridges for ungodly lengths of time. Then a girlfriend gave me one of those gift stands that has a matching brush and fancy Mach 3 handle and I kind of went from there.

About a year later I swapped the M3 handle for a Merkur 33c, learning what I did from this forum (mainly reading, rarely posting) using a different name that I've long since forgotten. That was about 15 years ago now, but that is to say, it happens!

I wish I had discovered traditional wet shaving at 22. Would have saved me a lot of money over the years.

I started shaving around 14/15 years old with a hand me down Gillette Ball In from my father. About a year latter, I bought myself a Gillette Slim, which I use through college. Sometime after graduation, I started using whatever Gillette was selling at the time, changing razor's every few years. Somewhere in my late 40s we moved across the county and while I was unpacking a box at our new home I came across my old Gillette Slim along with my Old Spice shaving mug. And yes, SHMBO has known I am a hoarder our entire marriage.

It was then I decided to go back to safety razors. The upside of that decision was from that point forward every time my wife dragged me through an antique store/mall I had a interset in a collectable for myself. Of course now that I am in my 70s I have to figure out what to do with all this stuff. Of course as an avid waterfowl hunter all of my life I have the same problem with decoy's but to a larger degree. As I have told my wife for many years, you can't have enough razors or decoy's.

I started shaving around 14/15 years old with a hand me down Gillette Ball In from my father. About a year latter, I bought myself a Gillette Slim, which I use through college. Sometime after graduation, I started using whatever Gillette was selling at the time, changing razor's every few years. Somewhere in my late 40s we moved across the county and while I was unpacking a box at our new home I came across my old Gillette Slim along with my Old Spice shaving mug. And yes, SHMBO has known I am a hoarder our entire marriage.

It was then I decided to go back to safety razors. The upside of that decision was from that point forward every time my wife dragged me through an antique store/mall I had a interset in a collectable for myself. Of course now that I am in my 70s I have to figure out what to do with all this stuff. Of course as an avid waterfowl hunter all of my life I have the same problem with decoy's but to a larger degree. As I have told my wife for many years, you can't have enough razors or decoy's.
@DanOK:So Mote It Be

I started wet shaving in the Navy, a few years back. Williams puck and mug and a brush, along with an injector razor. I couldn't tell you the make or model. Over the years, I've gone the gambit of shaving, including electric razors, disposable razors, cartridge razors, double edge razors, and not shaving at all. It's all good. With the exception of my electric razor era, I've almost always used a brush and soap for lather, although for a period I did use Harry's Shaving Gel (Yes, I was a Harry's razor guy too). Anyway, I'm 72 now and back to using a DE razor. I'm having more fun with it now with the variety of artisan soaps....so much more rewarding than the glycerin soaps I had been using. While I admit to having too many soaps, I haven't gone too crazy collecting brushes and razors (yet????). But, who knows what the future brings :)

I'm 37 now but got started in my early 20's. I was even a member here back then but with a different username.

I found wet shaving because I could only shave with a cartridge razor about once every 3 days and was looking for a better, more comfortable experience.
You’re the same age as me. I’ve been wetshaving with a DE for 11 or 12 years now. I switched from cartridge/electric razors because I could not get a good shave with those and I got tired of the overpriced cartridges.(any brand). Since I’ve switched over, I enjoy my shave. But I can tell you, I’ve only met one other person in that time that is into DE razors/wetshaving. I did manage to convince my dad (71 now)to switch back over to using a Gillette Slim. I even got him a VanDer Hagen set at one point. He learned to shave with his fathers Slim back in the late 1960s.

You’re the same age as me. I’ve been wetshaving with a DE for 11 or 12 years now. I switched from cartridge/electric razors because I could not get a good shave with those and I got tired of the overpriced cartridges.(any brand). Since I’ve switched over, I enjoy my shave. But I can tell you, I’ve only met one other person in that time that is into DE razors/wetshaving. I did manage to convince my dad (71 now)to switch back over to using a Gillette Slim. I even got him a VanDer Hagen set at one point. He learned to shave with his fathers Slim back in the late 1960s.

I've never met anyone else who uses a DE razor. I don't think I've ever even discussed shaving with anyone other than close family members. It's just not something that comes up often. But then, I also am a bit of a natural introvert so I'm not exactly striking up conversations with random strangers very often either.

Regardless, glad you got your dad back into DE razors 🍻

I started wet shaving with a DE when I was 15, and I am 24 now. I ended up settling on a Merkur 33C, Astra SPs (after trying a sampler pack), an Omega 48 boar brush, Sanofi "Shave" cream, and huge bottles of lavender aftershave I could get from a local barbers supply. I've used basically the same kit for the last 7-8 years (minus the few times I've grown a beard), but have only recently (last few months) got back into it with a passion after my Merkur cracked and I inherited my Grandfathers Tech. He never used it within my lifetime and used an electric shaver, and my father has always had a beard. I remember stumbling onto this forum back then while I was researching years ago, but only made an account here recently, and am enjoying it so far. My twin brother started shaving at the same time and got more heavily into it back then, and he picked up all sorts of antique razors and soaps and aftershaves (as much as you can as a 15 year old with meager income). It's cool to see other people around my age here, and also folks that have been here for many years.

I started shaving at 15 with a brand new SuperSpeed and I shave with it still. Except for a brief foray into the Wilkinson Bonded, it’s been the only way I’ve shaved since 1973. I don’t think there’s anything remarkable about it.

I love this community and how they treat people and others Its honestly amazing. I was basically on my own when learning wetshaving and its a crazy good source of information and tips
That is due to one thing - the behind the scenes work of volunteer moderators. Also due to a firm policy of no politics / current event topics. That is why the atmosphere here is constructive and helpful.

Early 60's here although I find myself redefining what "early 60's " is as time goes on. :biggrin1:

Have always wet shaved and had no idea of this world we all inhabit now. Decided once to buy an aftershave at Walgreens and gave Brute and Old Spice a sniff in the store. Curled my toes - ewww. Thought I would try my hand at making my own. After four months of failure I had something I liked but wanted to see what total strangers thought. And that is how I found B&B. Offered up free samples and was off to the races.

But while I was here I looked at all of the sub-forums and thought, "What the???" This was thirteen years ago - "Guys use a brush? I thought that was only in the movies." Used straights for a couple of years and have a dozen mostly wedge that are oiled and now sit in a box. All DE but mix it up with SE once in a while. Plenty of aftershaves and soaps to choose from (cough, cough...)

Top Bottom