What's new

Teflon on GSB?

I was looking at the Gillette Silver Blues and noticed they are coated in Teflon. Weird. Isn’t this stuff generally considered toxic these days and kind of on the way out. Seems odd especially for something that make come in contact with an open wound (nicks).

I was looking at the Gillette Silver Blues and noticed they are coated in Teflon. Weird. Isn’t this stuff generally considered toxic these days and kind of on the way out. Seems odd especially for something that make come in contact with an open wound (nicks).
Interesting, I did not know this fun fact. I look forward to the replies you get. I like GSBs very well and they’ll stay as one of my top blades.

lasta

Blade Biter
There is an anti-friction coating on just about all razor blades. Most are equivalent to Teflon, even if they are not called such.

Been used since the 50's I believe. So, even if it's not GSB, you can't avoid it!

Every stainless steel blade I know of has a PTFE (Teflon) coating to reduce friction. When stainless steel blades were developed, the makers found people did not like uncoated blades since they were uncomfortable to shave with. Coated blades were an immediate success.

There are some plain carbon steel blades that are uncoated, but even some of the carbon steel blades have a Teflon coating, too.

I won't comment on the health concerns except to say don't get caught up in hysteria.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've often wondered why this is one of the only blades that never worked for me - almost like I'm allergic, but I never assumed that was the problem. Love Feathers, but my face doesn't like these. Now I'm wondering if it's the coating.

I doubt there is a commercial razor blade out there without PTFE coating. Just the way things are.

The issue is not the polymer (polyterfluorethylene I believe) so much as the materials used to make it, the poly-fluoro octanates and similar chemicals collectively known as per-fluoro alkanes or PFAS. Those are quite bad, cause all sorts of endocrine issues, cancer, fetal abnomalities, and so forth at VERY low levels. Many water treatment plants are now forced to use activated carbon beds to remove them.

As is the case with far too many chemicals and products, instead of proving they were safe and healthy, we got stuck with finding out they are very, very dangerous decades after they were produced in huge quantities.

But the PTFE coating on the razor isn't gonna do anything but make your shave more comfortable until it wears off.

But the PTFE coating on the razor isn't gonna do anything but make your shave more comfortable until it wears off.

Although that PTFE then presumably goes down the drain and ends up somewhere - or are you saying that waste water treatment plants are already set up to remove it?

I remember when the scramble to get rid of Teflon from cookware was a big deal. The issue is that high temps cause teflon to break down and release dangerous stuff.

From WebMD:
Teflon is generally safe, but heating it to above 300 degrees Celsius or 570 degrees Fahrenheit poses a danger to your health.

At these temperatures, the stable Teflon begins to break down and releases polymer fumes.

I remember when the scramble to get rid of Teflon from cookware was a big deal. The issue is that high temps cause teflon to break down and release dangerous stuff.

From WebMD:
Teflon is generally safe, but heating it to above 300 degrees Celsius or 570 degrees Fahrenheit poses a danger to your health.

At these temperatures, the stable Teflon begins to break down and releases polymer fumes.

+1! This is also my understanding. The issue is high temperature, which is not an issue with razor blades.

Top Bottom