What's new

Talcum Powder ?

I am currently using Johnson's corn starch baby powder on my lower back and man bits. I am interested in maybe switching to talc. I have sensitive skin. The baby powder has not really been put to the test, as I just started using it. I'll find out soon enough, though. The weather's only getting hotter. I have seen some of the Caswell Massey talcs locally and online, of course. They're quite pricey, but I like that they have an almond scent. Anyone try them out?

I love a good talc for my body now and then, especially in summer after drying off from a cold shower, if it is 30+ Celsius of a night time, it keeps you smooth and not sticky. My reccomendations would be "Shower to shower" good scent, feels good too.

proxy.php

One that I had once that was FANTASTIC was an avon body talc scented like boysenberry I believe, loved it but I don't shop avon.

I am currently using Johnson's corn starch baby powder on my lower back and man bits. I am interested in maybe switching to talc. I have sensitive skin. The baby powder has not really been put to the test, as I just started using it. I'll find out soon enough, though. The weather's only getting hotter. I have seen some of the Caswell Massey talcs locally and online, of course. They're quite pricey, but I like that they have an almond scent. Anyone try them out?

I have an older can of the C&M Lime talc (about 4 years old). It smells exactly like their Lime Cologne. It's a very fine talc and good quality, plenty of scent in it. However, last time I looked at the website they've changed the container of the talc and they don't use metal anymore which is too bad.

I have an older can of the C&M Lime talc (about 4 years old). It smells exactly like their Lime Cologne. It's a very fine talc and good quality, plenty of scent in it. However, last time I looked at the website they've changed the container of the talc and they don't use metal anymore which is too bad.

well, maybe I'll pick up a can after I'm done with the baby powder.

I refuse to use talc because of the problems it can cause if inhaled. Talc is a mineral and if inhaled can cause lung cancer because the body can't get rid of it. On the other hand corn or tapioca starch are perfectly safe, as well as arrowroot powder. I'm going to try Honeybee Gardens powder in the future.

I refuse to use talc because of the problems it can cause if inhaled. Talc is a mineral and if inhaled can cause lung cancer because the body can't get rid of it. On the other hand corn or tapioca starch are perfectly safe, as well as arrowroot powder. I'm going to try Honeybee Gardens powder in the future.

There are two types of talc. One contains asbestos like fibres and is what can cause problems. The type that is used 'round these parts is safe for everyday use.

One of these, published in 1993, was a US National Toxicology Program report, which found that cosmetic grade talc containing no asbestos-like fibres was correlated with tumour formation in rats forced to inhale talc for 6 hours a day, five days a week over at least 113 weeks.

So long as you're not standing in a cloud of talc for six hours a day, you should be okay.

The people who develop problems from talc are exposed in industry where they get daily exposure to a lot of talc. It's not the talc itself but mainly the presence of asbestos in lower grade talc.

For the talc you use at home, pour it on your hands and rub it on; don't go wild shaking it all over your body. Doctors even use talc for the treatment of lung disease, but it's a pure and sterilized talc.

Corn starch works great at first, but the longer you leave it on your body it can serve as a food for bacteria.

So yeah, I think talc could be a risk, but as long as you use a good brand and use common sense, I'm willing to accept the risk.

There are two types of talc. One contains asbestos like fibres and is what can cause problems. The type that is used 'round these parts is safe for everyday use.

Commercial talc on most western countries is free from asbestos. Pure talc is still a mineral and if inhaled the body can't get rid of it in the lungs. Corn starch on the other hand is an organic compound and can be decomposed by bacteria and excreted by the body. Talc is ok as long as you don't inhale it. But I prefer to be on the safe side and use tapioca or corn starch.

http://www.ivillage.com/talcum-powder-safe-babies/6-n-136821

Robert W. Steele said:
For a number of years now, epidemiologists (scientists who try to establish cause and effect relationships in diseases) have been interested in trying to find some link to the environment and ovarian cancer.
The relationship between talc and cancer is by no means certain. It may turn out there is no relationship, on the other hand, it could be an important contributing factor in the development of ovarian cancer. More studies need to be done.
There have been numerous reports of babies having life-threatening episodes from inhaling the powder. And in fact, there have been many deaths reported from aspiration of the powder. A good number of these cases occurred during a diaper change when adult supervision is usually very high. But as every parent knows (including myself), infants and toddlers can be awfully quick sometimes, so reaching for and spilling the powder bottle is not such a hard thing to do for the little ones.
So, unless you are :

• a baby and choke to death by swallowing a large quantity of talcum
  • or you are a woman that exposed her ovaries to talcum for several decades

the risk is greater for you to die from obesity by ingesting corn, tapioca and/or arrowroot or from hypochondria than dying from talcum inhalation.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you have empirical evidence about one of your product concerns, please do post a separate thread about it.

This isn't the place for Fear mongering.

I wear talc and have for as long as I can remember. I switched to the clubman talc a couple weeks ago and I like it. Kind of went quickly compared to the Johnson's and Johnson's I used before this.

I started talcing soon after my son was born and we were using baby powder for him. Love it, I don't feel like I have had a proper shower without finishing off with a talc dusting. My personal favourite is Cusson's Imperial Leather Original Scent.

Been using Marks & Spencers Woodspice talc for the last year and a half.

I usually sprinkle some on my toes before putting on my socks in the morning. Nice scent & sets me up for the day ahead.

I started talcing soon after my son was born and we were using baby powder for him. Love it, I don't feel like I have had a proper shower without finishing off with a talc dusting. My personal favourite is Cusson's Imperial Leather Original Scent.

Heck! I didn't know they have a talc! what does it smell like, because I use the Imperial leather soap and aftershave already haha.

Heck! I didn't know they have a talc! what does it smell like, because I use the Imperial leather soap and aftershave already haha.

Smells EXACTLY like the soap. I just went and did a side by side sniff to be sure. Apropos of nothing in particular the soap lists "sterilised talc" as one of the ingredients, don't think I've ever noticed talc as a soap ingredient before. Apparently they also make a shave cream!

edit: which I may even be able to buy locally in NZ now that would be something to gloat about heh.

no cussons in the u.s. ,does it smell the same as their imperial leather soap ?

Identical scent.

Off Topic:
I'm actually putting together an Imperial Leather "care package" for US fans of the products to trade in exchange for similar inexpensive, but good value items bountiful in the US but impossible to find in NZ. May even make a PIF as well. But inexpensive as all the IL products are, I am but a poor student so will take a few weeks to compile and have enough for international postage.

Not to mention racking up the requisite post count for posting a WTT in B/S/T. Imperial Leather fans should keep an eye on B/S/T in the next couple weeks :)

Top Bottom