What's new

Taking the straight razor plunge

I was reading on Dovo's website and they said razors need 48 hours between shaves to rest. Does that mean I need two? 😀

In anticipation I found this:

one for each day of the week :cool:

How would you feel about a restored vintage straight razor? Some people would say these are often some of the best ways to go for a beginner.. from the right people you can often get a fantastic quality vintage razor for less than what you might pay for even an average modern razor today. At first I used to have concerns about hygiene/safety but perfectly safe as it is brought to new metal. Also to me at least, a vintage razor has a lot of character.. there's just something about using a hundred year old razor over a brand new one fresh from the factory. But if you have your heart set on a new razor, that is understandable also!

How would you feel about a restored vintage straight razor? Some people would say these are often some of the best ways to go for a beginner.. from the right people you can often get a fantastic quality vintage razor for less than what you might pay for even an average modern razor today. At first I used to have concerns about hygiene/safety but perfectly safe as it is brought to new metal. Also to me at least, a vintage razor has a lot of character.. there's just something about using a hundred year old razor over a brand new one fresh from the factory. But if you have your heart set on a new razor, that is understandable also!
Yes definitely I would consider a classic vintage razor. My only requirement is that I can buy it from a UK source as I don't want to get hammered with import taxes

I would definitely start my SR journey with shave-ready vintage...most of my SRs are antiques & vintage.
You can get a good vintage razor from billyji1 from Ebay. His ebay site has some shave-ready razors from £60 onwards and strops from £34 onwards. This ebay seller if from the UK. Do check it out...

I would definitely start my SR journey with shave-ready vintage...most of my SRs are antiques & vintage.
You can get a good vintage razor from billyji1 from Ebay. His ebay site has some shave-ready razors from £60 onwards and strops from £34 onwards. This ebay seller if from the UK. Do check it out...
Thanks for the tip. Going to check it now

I am real keen but have some reservations about cutting myself. A few nicks and cuts I'm not bothered about but deep gashes that would leave big scars I want to avoid.With practice will I be able to master it avoid deep gashes?
We're not all walking around with hacked up faces. Respect the edge and proceed cautiously.
And what's a good SR to start with? Dovo seem to have some really nice models. I like their Edo which is 5/8 width, not sure if that's good or bad for a beginner. And their Bismarck looks pleasant too.Thiers Issard also look amazing. As do the Japanese Kamisori but they look so sharp I wouldn't assume they are for beginners.
Buy one you like the looks of so you want to use it every day.

Thank you, yes I came across that. That actually appeals to me as I wouldn't have to use my left hand
Most of my shaves are with asymmetrically-ground kamisori razors, and I use both sides. Works fine.

I do use both hands, but not because I am staying on the same side of the razor; I just find it easier, and I liked the idea of training my off hand to do something. What was interesting is that I got good with it a little sooner, because, unlike my right hand, it didn't have to unlearn using the higher pressures that work for cartridge shaving.

The cuts you get from a straight, at least on your face, are really likely to be no worse than a DE. You'll be so much more cautious, understandably, that your first shaves will be fine. It's once you think you know what you're doing, and your confidence gets in front of your ability, that you'll draw blood.

I got to my mid-teen shaves before I cut myself up. And the only bad cut was my thumb pad when I picked up the razor between passes inattentively and learned my lesson...

Go for it. The only regret straight shavers ever express is not starting sooner! :badger:

I could have written this post myself, it tracks my own experience so well.

I'm leaning towards either the Dovo Edo or this Boker
If you like the Dovo Edo I would get that instead of the Böker.
The Böker is a extra hollow ground lightweigt razor. I have several of these 5/8 and 6/8 razors from both Dovo and Böker.
The Dovo razor has a little more weight and a belly in grind that makes the razor a little stiffer, and in my opinion easier to use if this is your first razor.

I am real keen but have some reservations about cutting myself. A few nicks and cuts I'm not bothered about but deep gashes that would leave big scars I want to avoid.

I've used straight razors and barber razors (shavettes) with Artist Club blades and half DE blades, and never cut myself with a straight razor.

On the other hand, my most gruesome cut was caused by me being careless with a shavette loaded with half of a DE blade. It literally took a (small) chunk of skin from my cheek, just in front of my ear, and did indeed leave a scar.

Totally my fault, but I'm much more afraid of that shavette than any straight razor, which seem very forgiving in comparison.

On the other hand, my most gruesome cut was caused by me being careless with a shavette loaded with half of a DE blade. It literally took a (small) chunk of skin from my cheek, just in front of my ear, and did indeed leave a scar.

Totally my fault, but I'm much more afraid of that shavette than any straight razor, which seem very forgiving in comparison.
Same. No scar, but it was exactly a half-blade shavette that cut me up so badly I couldn't shave for a week. Never again.

Top Bottom