What's new

Straight Razor for Beginners?

Hey all,

I'm looking for a hobby and straight razor shaving jumped out at me. Is there a general consensus on a good, starter straight razor/brand? I've seen lots of Dovo's, and a few others suggested like Bismarck. I'm looking to stay fairly inexpensive, to see if I like the method before investing in a better razor.

Is there any feedback about The Grim Blades brand? (Found on Classic Shaving.com).

Thanks!

Trevor Devine

Your best bet is a vintage razor that has been honed by someome who shaves with a straight every day and has a reputation in the community as an accomplished honer. Some are listed here:

Once you have a known good edge, learning to shave will be much less frustrating. Good luck, it is a lot of fun learning the gentlemanly art!
:badger:

Your best bet is a vintage razor that has been honed by someome who shaves with a straight every day and has a reputation in the community as an accomplished honer. Some are listed here:

Once you have a known good edge, learning to shave will be much less frustrating. Good luck, it is a lot of fun learning the gentlemanly art!
:badger:
This is great information!! Thank you, much appreciated. I'm excited to learn!

The Grim Blades brand?
Not much out there on those, and Classic Shaving has a mixed reputation as well. For the record I've never dealt with them, just passing it along. Grim Blades used to have some cheap options that looked like rebranded Gold Dollars (cheap Chinese razors) and looking around now, some much more expensive options that, at least some of them, look like rebranded Hart razors. Which, to be honest, also have a mixed reputation.

At any rate, the ones I see listed on Classic Shaving are in my opinion, vastly overpriced. Check out Dovo, Boker, and Thiers Issard for current production from larger, established makers. There are plenty of smaller artisans making great razors too, and vintage is always a great option if bought from a reputable source and honed by a competent honer. Check out Maggard Razors and Griffith Shave Goods for both new and vintage razors to get an idea of pricing.

Also Rigarazor, made in Latvia, sell exclusively on ebay for very reasonable prices and the build quality and edges are absolutely top notch. Might be the best deal in new razors today.

You can also check out the Buy Sell Trade section of the forum.

Might help with a location as recommendations could be not too far from yourself.
Whoops! My mistake!

I'm close to Portland, OR. I know of Portland Shaving Co., I'm going to check out some of their soaps. My barber also has some shave set-ups, but he just started to carry them so I haven't gotten to check them out and I don't know if he carries straights yet. (He might only carry safety).

Not much out there on those, and Classic Shaving has a mixed reputation as well. For the record I've never dealt with them, just passing it along. Grim Blades used to have some cheap options that looked like rebranded Gold Dollars (cheap Chinese razors) and looking around now, some much more expensive options that, at least some of them, look like rebranded Hart razors. Which, to be honest, also have a mixed reputation.

At any rate, the ones I see listed on Classic Shaving are in my opinion, vastly overpriced. Check out Dovo, Boker, and Thiers Issard for current production from larger, established makers. There are plenty of smaller artisans making great razors too, and vintage is always a great option if bought from a reputable source and honed by a competent honer. Check out Maggard Razors and Griffith Shave Goods for both new and vintage razors to get an idea of pricing.

Also Rigarazor, made in Latvia, sell exclusively on ebay for very reasonable prices and the build quality and edges are absolutely top notch. Might be the best deal in new razors today.

You can also check out the Buy Sell Trade section of the forum.
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it! I'm the kind of person that likes to dive in head-first and buy the "best" when starting a new hobby and am trying to stop myself from doing so in this setup until I figure out if I enjoy it.

I'll give Maggard and Griffith a look, as well as the B/S/T. Good to know about Rigarazor as well! Thank you!

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it! I'm the kind of person that likes to dive in head-first and buy the "best" when starting a new hobby

With straights, you won't know what your "best" is for a while. What sort of blade, geometry, edge, etc really works for you both practically and aesthetically. For that reason, just focus on something that is visually appealing to you (makes you want to shave with it), but has a great edge on it. Matt at GSG is known for that.

Further down the track, your tastes will likely change, and you can start accumulating your favourites... :)

With straights, you won't know what your "best" is for a while. What sort of blade, geometry, edge, etc really works for you both practically and aesthetically. For that reason, just focus on something that is visually appealing to you (makes you want to shave with it), but has a great edge on it. Matt at GSG is known for that.

Further down the track, your tastes will likely change, and you can start accumulating your favourites... :)
That makes sense! Thank you! I appreciate the insight! Seems like a fun world to dive into! (Plus it'll make gift giving very easy for the wife in the future :p)

I can tell you the advice I was given by knowledgable people on this forum. Sure, you can get a basic Ralph Aust or Thiers Issard. With Dovo you might get a warped blade and that would not be good. However, I was strongly advised to buy a good vintage razor that was professionally honed. That is exactly what I did and I can see the wisdom of that advice. Don't get one because it costs a little money. Get one that is a good razor that doesn't cost a lot of money, if that makes sense. I bought a Japanese H.Diamond and it is a really good razor and didn't set me back too much money. The blade is a little longer than Western razors, though. You might find something at Duke City on eBay for not a lot of money. He had already honed Duble Ducks and Wade and Butchers the other day. Also, The Invisible Edge hones every razor and might have free shipping. They do have vintage from time to time. Don't get a Gold Dollar until you are ready to learn to hone, then get one of those for practice. Anyway, that is what I was told and I haven't regretted it.

As you go down the rabbit hole you will see your taste and lust will change. As of now I have more 6/8. I have found I really like Blue Steel and vintage Sheffields. Mainly cause they take a goo hone and keep an edge without work. Also just cause a razor has not stamp does not mean it is not good. I have one that is freakishly stupidly keen, a square point. I can not tell you how may time I have cut my nose with that thing and did not even know until it was done.

My Bema is a 5/8 blue steel and is beyond the $20 I spent on it. Dixie Union City 5/8, I spent $10 on and I wish I did not give it away. Both are of Blue Steel as well. If you find one of either of these cheap get it, you will not be disappointed.

The Dovo 6/8 took a bit more work to get where I like. Not sure why but took much more work.

Just make sure you have a proper Strop and you will maintain the edge for many shaves.

I am 65 been shaving since I was 16, taught my dad. As he taught me to drive with a standard first. Same followed suite with shaving. Straights was first.
But now that have some experience and time under my belt. Transitioning to Straights can be a challenge.
Since shavettes/barber razors can be a less forgiving than a "Good Quality" Straight Edge.
It the passed, I would have suggested to start with the Straight.
But now I suggest starting with a Feather Nape. It is like around 40/50 bucks.
Why, it is designed to be safe & a great please to start.
Start learning to use it in both hands, left and right for each side of the face.
Learning consistency, patience, angle, smooth short strokes, best practices.
Developing skills and muscle memory.
Knowing the importance of pulling the face.
How to use the blade> front - middle - back for specific tasks.
Start with just basic trimming a touch ups but again being methodical with a purpose.
Not haphazardly...

Hey it is you face...
Mine is scare free..

Thanks
bfxbdetailed-svg-2px.png

Hard to beat a properly set up Thiers Issard (check The Superior Shave) or Ralf Aust.
Another great option is the Wapienica razors available from Griffith Shaving. They take a great edge and will last forever. Plus...it reeks of eastern European mystique.
.....and for less than $100😉

Top Bottom