What's new

Synthetic Equivalent to Boar?

Hello,

I’m in love with my humble Omega 10098 boar brush. I am looking for a synthetic equivalent to a boar bristle. I like a stiff brush 26 mm or larger.

So far I have found most synthetic (badger also) brushes are too soft for me. I shave my head and face every other day. A boar brush really exfoliates very well but I really want to find the synthetic equivalent. Any suggestions?

Cheers
John

Only one that comes too mom's is the Omega S-Brush. Looks like a boar only its a synth.

PAA - Crown King used to make brushes with a Duro knot that was supposed to be a boar-like synthetic, but now they only sell the knots.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I own the S-brush, and while it's marketed as a 'Synthetic Boar', I don't consider it to have any similar qualities at all. Don't get me wrong... the S-brush is actually one of my favorite brushes but I can't say it's anything like a boar. Now, I also own an Omega Syntex synthetic brush. Not a popular brush. I gotta tell ya, the Syntex feels nearly identical to the Omega boar I own, with one exception: it doesn't have the same backbone as the boar.

It's very difficult to explain the similarities. The scritch is very similar. The thickness and coarseness of the fibers is very similar. The way it produces lather is very similar. But if backbone is important, this is not the brush for you. The nice thing about the Syntex, is that it costs $10 to find out.

I don't like my Omega boar because of the smell and because of the break in time but I absolutely love the Syntex. I love it for having all the best qualities of a boar, and none of the bad.

My vote is for the Syntex :)

Last edited:
I own the 10049 boar (27mm knot/59 mm loft) and the S10108 (27mm knot/57mm loft).
The S-brush is a great brush, but you won't mistake it for a boar.
Maybe @ZigZiglar is on to something with the Syntex. From what I understand, Syntex was Omega's earlier attempt to produce synthetics similar to boar, and is generally considered a bad brush. Never tried one myself, but I would give it a go for sure.
Back to my S10108 - It does have backbone but there's some spring to it that isn't present in boar brushes. This isn't good or bad - it's just different.
S-brush models with lower lofts might behave differently.
I think the S is a great brush and for the price I think you should definitely look into getting one.
Omega has done a great job with the S knots, they are very enjoyable brushes, produce great lather, be it face or bowl, and have a great face feel. They are so cheap that it's hard to argue against getting one.
Yesterday I face lathered with mine and I used it similar to how I'd use the 10049. A little adaptation is needed due to the above mentioned spring, but overall the face feel was similar to a well broken in boar.
I like all the brushes I've tried (boar, badger, synthetic) and I believe any brush can give great results. It's a matter of adaptation.
Remember in the old days people would buy the brush the local store had in stock, learn to use it and not think about it for the next 25 years. Sometimes the options we have today can make us jump from one to another before we have a chance to learn how to use our tools.

@Yyragtoj

I am in the same thought with you. We need to adapt with the brush type and its differencies.

How do you compare your omega sbrush versus a synthetic tuxedo knot (if you have one)?

@albsat I own a small 22mm Yaqi tuxedo.
It's a magnificent brush, creates lather very fast and feels very soft on the face.
S-brush feels very different, it's got more backbone and the face feel is much more pronounced.
That's my comparison between the two knots.

If you look you closely: SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 23rd - April 29th, 2018 you can see that Omega has really put effort into creating a boar-like knot in the S-series: The bristles have the thickness and texture of boar (they're not completely straight nor smooth), there's backbone, they are priced to match boars.

The Hi-series is an effort to create a synthetic comparable to badger. I haven't tried one, so not sure how successful or not they are in that.

I own the 10049 boar (27mm knot/59 mm loft) and the S10108 (27mm knot/57mm loft).
The S-brush is a great brush, but you won't mistake it for a boar.
Maybe @ZigZiglar is on to something with the Syntex. From what I understand, Syntex was Omega's earlier attempt to produce synthetics similar to boar, and is generally considered a bad brush. Never tried one myself, but I would give it a go for sure.
Back to my S10108 - It does have backbone but there's some spring to it that isn't present in boar brushes. This isn't good or bad - it's just different.
S-brush models with lower lofts might behave differently.
I think the S is a great brush and for the price I think you should definitely look into getting one.
Omega has done a great job with the S knots, they are very enjoyable brushes, produce great lather, be it face or bowl, and have a great face feel. They are so cheap that it's hard to argue against getting one.
Yesterday I face lathered with mine and I used it similar to how I'd use the 10049. A little adaptation is needed due to the above mentioned spring, but overall the face feel was similar to a well broken in boar.
I like all the brushes I've tried (boar, badger, synthetic) and I believe any brush can give great results. It's a matter of adaptation.
Remember in the old days people would buy the brush the local store had in stock, learn to use it and not think about it for the next 25 years. Sometimes the options we have today can make us jump from one to another before we have a chance to learn how to use our tools.
I agree a lot with this and without making this thread all about the S-brush, and explicitly NOT recommending it as a boar alternative, I still think you should have one because there is literally no brush like it anywhere. It's a killer brush. Super silky, so light weight. Incredibly durable. A beast at creating lather. It even dries near instantly. I love my S-brush.

Try using the Edwin Jagger synthetic silvertip - 21mm or 25mm.

Those are the ones that most remind me of my boar brushes.

Given you are used to the 10098, I would suggest the 25mm.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll probably grab a s-brush and maybe a syntex. I like the Jagger but it’s a bit pricey.

Cheers
John

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The closest to boar would be some of the nylon knots from a half century ago. They behave very much like boar.

Top Bottom