What's new

SV 2.0 Brush - your thoughts, opinions, experiences please

Well I wrote up alot about this on my SOTD, Rate your shave and OCtober 2023. All I will add is I can see why this brush is praised, its really a terrific brush, very impressed by it from the handle, to the pewter, weight and knot. It was a delight to use. Here is a picture of the brush just so its here. All the praise for this brush, can't add more than I already did.

SV brush 20231012_201656.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well its a tough choice in choosing the pewter, what you have looks really good. On top of that thinking about other brush acquisitions as well so I have to decide. Choices... 🤔

I have five SV brushes. Four of them have the pewter crown instead of the gold crown which means I like the pewter better, but it's an individual choice. Both are great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I do have a quick question here, between the wood handled SV's and the resin ones, how much of a weight difference is there? I ask because I kind of like the heavier weighted wooden handles but at the same time like the faux turtle resin handle. I am just curious, I don't need an exact figure but just an idea would be nice.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I do have a quick question here, between the wood handled SV's and the resin ones, how much of a weight difference is there? I ask because I kind of like the heavier weighted wooden handles but at the same time like the faux turtle resin handle. I am just curious, I don't need an exact figure but just an idea would be nice.

11-23.SV-Tortoise&SV-Cocobolo.640.JPG

Weighed on my kitchen scale.
  • The Tortoise (resin) weighs ~125 g.
  • The Cocobolo (wood) weights ~117 g.
Both are bone dry.

I don't think the weight difference matters to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
View attachment 1744112

Both are bone dry.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I was thinking that the resin handles - same sized brushes, though - are a smidgen heavier than wood. And Cocobolo is a pretty dense wood.
Later edit: weighed my Bog Oak SV and it is 96.5 g

Last edited:
View attachment 1744112

Both are bone dry.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Awesome, thanks for letting me know and weighing the brushes, I appreciate it. I agree it does not make a difference but I have some brushes that are lighter in weight, others heavier, so it was just a preference thing. I do like that these are on the heavy side so its why I asked.

Last edited:
To those who have more than one sv brush, are the knots the same. Thinking of buying a second, but seems overkill just to get a different handle!

To those who have more than one sv brush, are the knots the same. Thinking of buying a second, but seems overkill just to get a different handle!
They are the same. Differences are cosmetic - handle and pewter ring colour. Not that this stopped a lot of us buying a bunch of them. They are very good brushes so if you want another with a different look, we won’t criticize you for it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I "only" have 3 SV brushes... two of them with the same wood but one with the gold pewter and the other with the silver pewter. The other one is the Faux Turtle Shell resin. But as has been said, the 26mm knots are all the same.

Now Jim and Adam's monster SV knots are something else. I see one of those in my future. <eg>

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I "only" have 3 SV brushes... two of them with the same wood but one with the gold pewter and the other with the silver pewter. The other one is the Faux Turtle Shell resin. But as has been said, the 26mm knots are all the same.

I agree.

Now Jim and Adam's monster SV knots are something else.

They are truly huge.

I'd also say the 30 mm knots look a bit different from the 2.0 knots. The larger knots have tips which are of a lighter color (whiter in color) than the 2.0 knots. Otherwise all the knots seem the same in their feel, and their various other qualities.

I see one of those in my future. <eg>

I hope you're right, Kim.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom