What's new

Sudden Onset of Scotch Craving (read title carefully!!)

Glenmorangie is nice. My goto highland. I prefer the Quinta Ruban(formerly port cask finish).
also the La Santa(formerly sherry cask finish) is nice as well.

Funny I went by costco today to pick up some glenmorangie. The box had 2 additional 50ml bottles, 1 LA Santa and 1 Quinta Ruban. Looking forward to testing these out.

I love the SE quadrant scotches, and even some from the SW quadrant. My favorites tend to be:

Auchentoshan Three Wood (always like to keep a bottle on hand)
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Glenlivet 15

I also currently have a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenmorangie Lasanta. Both are very good. I'm curious to try the Balvenie 17 Doublewood.

Glenmorangie is nice. My goto highland. I prefer the Quinta Ruban(formerly port cask finish).
also the La Santa(formerly sherry cask finish) is nice as well.

Quinta is definitely on a different level than La Santa.

I love the SE quadrant scotches, and even some from the SW quadrant. My favorites tend to be:

Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Glenlivet 15

I also currently have a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenmorangie Lasanta. Both are very good. I'm curious to try the Balvenie 17 Doublewood.

The price jump is huge for the 17 :mad3: otherwise I'd have tried it by now. That price range is home to some VERY good scotches. I'd also love to try the Portwood, but that isn't happening.

I love Carl.

Ha!

The price jump is huge for the 17 :mad3: otherwise I'd have tried it by now. That price range is home to some VERY good scotches. I'd also love to try the Portwood, but that isn't happening.

Yes, that's the main reason for me not trying it by now. Plus, the reviews I've read have indicated that the 17, while very good, isn't ~2.5x the price of the 12 good. I really wish there were a domestic version of Masters of Malt that offered samples with cheap shipping.

The scotch craving tour of Islay continues. Found some Ardbeg 10 year in a handy dandy travel case (that's what I'm calling it) w/ a nice set of wee tasting glasses at Bevmo. Think it will fit in my golf bag? :w00t: I worked my way to the bottom of the Laguvulin 16 and had some friends help me with the Highland 12. Definitely loved the Lagavulin way more, which is why I decided to continue camping on Islay.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 89
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Glenlivet 15

The Balvenie 17 is amazing. It's too pricey for me to buy for myself, but I've gotten it a few times as a present for my father. His only complaint is that it spoils him from enjoying the 12 yr old as much.

Highland Park is very nice. Remember to always add a dash of water to your Scotch. That's what they do in Scotland.

The idea of "neat" Scotch is a very romantic one, but you add a bit of flavour with a bit of water

Shape and size of glass does matter. But let's not lose perspective. It won't do more than slightly enhance the experience of a good dram. BTW, don't dis good blended whisky. There's nothing at all wrong with Dewars, JW Black, Chivas, etc.

The scotch craving tour of Islay continues. Found some Ardbeg 10 year in a handy dandy travel case (that's what I'm calling it) w/ a nice set of wee tasting glasses at Bevmo. Think it will fit in my golf bag? :w00t: I worked my way to the bottom of the Laguvulin 16 and had some friends help me with the Highland 12. Definitely loved the Lagavulin way more, which is why I decided to continue camping on Islay.

Ardbeg's Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are quite good. Uigeadail specifically...or maybe Corryvreckan...can't remember.

I have only tried the 10yr old Ardbeg, is the Uigeanail and Corryvreckan really worth almost 2x as much?

10 yr old is $45-$50, and those are all over $80.

I have only tried the 10yr old Ardbeg, is the Uigeanail and Corryvreckan really worth almost 2x as much?

10 yr old is $45-$50, and those are all over $80.
I think so. I've got a post somewhere describing what I like about them, gotta track it down.

Also, around Christmas the 10 yo is 30 bucks and comes with nips of the two I mentioned.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I thought those were the rules of this thread. I'm pretty sure I saw it back on page 1, but I can't remember now. Better safe than sorry! :a54:

Thank you for trying your best to follow the rules.

... now, go follow them again, no ice.

Top Bottom