What's new

Sudden Onset of Scotch Craving (read title carefully!!)

I'm partial to most of the Islay malts with particular favourites being Ardbeg and Lagavuilin. I also quite like the Balvenies is I'm going for something smoother. As a true Scot I'll be shot for saying this but the Japanese Yamazaki whisky is also really nice if you want something smooth rather than peaty. It's the only one of my (vast) collection of whisky my mate will drink.

All should be drunk neat, no ice, and room temperature of course! :)

Balvenie is really good, and that's the proper way to enjoy scotch!

I was at a ranch not too long back, enjoying a scotch after some firearms fun, and to my horror everyone was loading down their glasses with ice! They'd get a glass, load it with ice, sip on it till it became a watery mess, dump that out and refill. Such a waste of fine liquor.

It's hard for me to say to each their own on this one. You can't taste it chilled, you can't taste it watered down, and if you don't like the taste of scotch, don't drink it! There are cheaper alternatives you won't taste.

what would be some cheaper alternatives to scotch whisky,i usually drink irish whiskey when i want something different then the usual Jim beam or another bourbon but i did have glenlivet once and it was pretty good

Balvenie is really good, and that's the proper way to enjoy scotch!

I was at a ranch not too long back, enjoying a scotch after some firearms fun, and to my horror everyone was loading down their glasses with ice! They'd get a glass, load it with ice, sip on it till it became a watery mess, dump that out and refill. Such a waste of fine liquor.

It's hard for me to say to each their own on this one. You can't taste it chilled, you can't taste it watered down, and if you don't like the taste of scotch, don't drink it! There are cheaper alternatives you won't taste.

That's sacrilege!! A bit like people who do steak well done I guess, there's just no telling them they're wrong!! Malt - neat, steak - rare lol :). I have a cask strength (56.1%) Glenlivet Nadurra that the taste changes if you add a drop or two of water and I mean literally a drop or two not "a small amount" but definately wouldn't put ice in it. If you're going to do that use a cheap blended whisky or a bourbon

what would be some cheaper alternatives to scotch whisky,i usually drink irish whiskey when i want something different then the usual Jim beam or another bourbon but i did have glenlivet once and it was pretty good

Have you tried Jamiesons? That's an Irish whiskey popular in the UK and tastes particuarly nice with a spicy ginger beer if you want a mixer. If you want a cheaper scotch you'd probably look at something blended like Jim Walker (nicer end) or Bells / Famous Grouse which I find a bit rough but they're popular. The "Glens" are a nice entry into single malts, Glenmorangie being one of the first I tried as my dads boss drank it. Glenfidich and Glenlivet are also good to start with as they're smoother than the peaty Islay malts.

That's sacrilege!! A bit like people who do steak well done I guess, there's just no telling them they're wrong!! Malt - neat, steak - rare lol :). I have a cask strength (56.1%) Glenlivet Nadurra that the taste changes if you add a drop or two of water and I mean literally a drop or two not "a small amount" but definately wouldn't put ice in it. If you're going to do that use a cheap blended whisky or a bourbon

It all depends on the whisky(ey). Some benefit from ice, some are really good with certain bitters, some are good cold, but not iced, and some are fantastic neat. My recommendation is not to build a box around yourself. Experimenting can be a good thing.

Also, if you are going for irish whiskey, there's nothing better to start with than Tullamore Dew.

It all depends on the whisky(ey). Some benefit from ice, some are really good with certain bitters, some are good cold, but not iced, and some are fantastic neat. My recommendation is not to build a box around yourself. Experimenting can be a good thing.

Also, if you are going for irish whiskey, there's nothing better to start with than Tullamore Dew.

Fair point although I've yet to meet a nice single malt that benefits from ice (yes, i have tried with a couple). But if others prefer it that way and they enjoy what they are drinking then obviously that's entriely up to them. As I said with steak, I like it rare and every chef I have spoken to says it should be served rare too, however my wife was nearly sick when she had a piece of mine and likes it well done. So longs she enjoys it and we're paying for it she'll get it the way she wants regardless how wrong she is!! lol :)

I DO like a "whisky sour" and have ice and mixer in that (obviously) however that's made with bourbon rather than a whisky. I tried it with a malt but felt it was a waste......the malt was £50 a bottle and Jim Beam is £15 and the bourbon whisky sour tasted nicer (not much in it, maybe it was psychological) made with bourbon anyway

i always thought people put water and ice in whiskey because they arent used to how strong the taste is and it waters it down

I'm game to try new things. Any suggestion on a bitter/scotch combo that pairs well? Still not sure on the ice/cold bit, I just can't fully taste liquor when it's chilled.

i always thought people put water and ice in whiskey because they arent used to how strong the taste is and it waters it down

A tiny bit of water can bring out flavors, but I'm sure some people do add ice/water for this reason.

It kind of depends on the bitters really, but try it with Laphroig or maybe Johnnie Red (I'd actually add a bit of water, preferably seltzer, to the Johnnie Red).

JW Red is so harsh I wouldn't use it for anything other than cleaning purposes. Their black label isn't bad for a mix, but as far as whiskey goes and not specifically scotch whiskey, I'd have to rank it below Jim Beam white label and that costs a heck of a lot less.

Laphroig isn't bad for a peaty scotch, I'll give that a go. Any suggestions on what type of bitters? I have seen several at local supermarkets, but don't know anything about them.

JW Red is so harsh I wouldn't use it for anything other than cleaning purposes. Their black label isn't bad for a mix, but as far as whiskey goes and not specifically scotch whiskey, I'd have to rank it below Jim Beam white label and that costs a heck of a lot less.

Laphroig isn't bad for a peaty scotch, I'll give that a go. Any suggestions on what type of bitters? I have seen several at local supermarkets, but don't know anything about them.

I don't think you'll be able to find anything other than angostura or orange bitters at the supermarket. I'd go with the angostura, but with fall/winter, a little orange additive could be nice.

Ralfy is pondering...

$maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think you'll be able to find anything other than angostura or orange bitters at the supermarket. I'd go with the angostura, but with fall/winter, a little orange additive could be nice.

Thanks for the info.

HEB's website lists Angostura Aromatic Bitters, Fee Brother's Cranberry Bitters, Bad Dog Barcraft Sarsaparilla Dry Bitters, Bad Dog Barcraft Fire & Damnation Bitters, Fee Brothers Lemon Bitters, Fee Brothers West Indian Orange Bitters, Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters, and Fee Brothers 1864 Cardamom Bitters. So, this is perhaps a well stocked supermarket for bitters. There's also a Specs across the street that might have other options.

Thanks for the info.

HEB's website lists Angostura Aromatic Bitters, Fee Brother's Cranberry Bitters, Bad Dog Barcraft Sarsaparilla Dry Bitters, Bad Dog Barcraft Fire & Damnation Bitters, Fee Brothers Lemon Bitters, Fee Brothers West Indian Orange Bitters, Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters, and Fee Brothers 1864 Cardamom Bitters. So, this is perhaps a well stocked supermarket for bitters. There's also a Specs across the street that might have other options.

You've listed more bitters than I've seen in person, total. Fee Brothers have a good reputation. I don't know too much about Bad Dog.

Ok, but making cocktails with single malt scotch is sacrilege. :angry:

There are a fair amount of cocktails that call for single malt. Laphroig for instance is used fairly often to add smoke, mouthfeel, and a medicinal aspect to cocktails.

Last edited:
That is a pretty cool chart.. Will have to save that.
Balvenie is a nice change but my favourites right now are Ardberg and Laphroaig
I'll have to try that Lagavulin and see what I think.

I know this is a scotch thread but since bourbon made its way in:

As for Bourbon, don't get me started, but Maker's 46 is probably my "Lagavulin 16" among many others.

If you haven't been before (or lately), the Maker's Mark distillery just started selling bottles of Maker's 46 Cask Strength on site less than a month ago!

And here is a picture of mine:
$MM1022151938_HDR.jpg

Actually I got two bottles when I was there. As you can see they do not yet have an official label for it, but once they do I heard they will start selling it outside of their distillery.
BTW they also are going to have a program soon maybe where you can choose your own finish using different recipes similar to the way they finish 46.

Apparently I'm a southeast quadrant guy. Macallan is said to be the most popular single malt in the US, Glenmorangie to most popular in Scotland.

Neither are lower end price wise. I actually call Glenmorangie Nectar D'or (12year) my favorite. Strongly dislike the phenolic types near the top of the graph.

I will use one half inch ice cube, mostly for its water contribution.

By the way, I do have a couple of those "nosing glasses" from Glenmorangie. They do intensify things.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 57
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Top Bottom