What's new

Submersible With 5 Aboard Gone Missing During Dive On Titanic

Well, except for the part where he's repeating as confirmed fact the controversial idea that the Captain of the Titanic steamed at full speed through a known icefield.
After having received an earlier report, he changed course and headed on a more southern direction.
Later, the Titanic made a navigational error, and the Bridge thought they were about 52 nautical miles (59 statute miles) further southwest than they actually were.
At 7:30 pm Titanic calculated and reported their position as 41° 44’ N. and 50° 14’ W. and the last ice report they had received at 7:30pm was that the ice field was 42° 3′ N, 49° 9′ W. (nearly 60 statute miles to the NorthEast and behind them).
The later report at 9:40pm was not received by the Titanic.
Certainly some extra caution could have been exercised, but the idea that the Captain ordered them to steam at full speed through a known icefield is misleading.
I was about to comment on that. Finally someone to call bullshait on it.

Everything that went on that night was in line with common practices at the time. If it was 100% right or not is another discussion.

But unfortunately that’s the way safety evolves trough time.

I don’t understand how someone like him, who researched the entire thing, could continue with misleading facts and that discovery channel talk.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just find it weird that they suddenly found the debris field right after the time when they were to run out of oxygen.
Sounds to me like the search/oxygen story was to keep everyone glued to the news in order to give people hope!
Navy hears a sound at the time of the disappearance? I don't think the Navy would write that off as nothing at the time that they heard what they heard! I'm sure after that report, someone was enroute down to the
crash site and discovered the wreck at that time.
The sub took off at 8:00 am Sunday.
The sub sent pings at 15 minute intervals to indicate its location. The final signal was sent at around 10:00 am Sunday.
The Coast Guard was notified at 6:00 pm Sunday that it was past due for return.

Monday and Tuesday Ships and planes conduct surface searches and deploy sonobuoys.

Late Monday or Tuesday the Coast Guard is notified that Navy Acoustic Techs had reviewed recordings starting at the time of the deployment of the sub. They discovered what was believed to be an implosion anomaly and referred that information to the Search Group.
The search group did not consider that information to be definitive. In fairness, the search group would have been crucified if they called of the search based on that information alone.

On Tuesday, there are reports of "banging" noises.

Tuesday and Wednesday, the limited underwater search equipment was directed to the area of these sounds, logically that makes sense. If there is potential evidence of life, you have to check that first. Why waste time searching an area near where the possible implosion anomaly was detected, if the implosion had already occurred, there was nothing that could be done, but if it was possible that they were alive and banging on the sub, you'd search that area first.

It wasn't until 7:00 am Thursday that an ROV from the Canadian vessel Horizon Arctic reached the sea floor and began searching near the Titanitc. At 7:30 am, the French vessel L'Atalante, which didn't even arrive on the scene until Wednesday night, deployed its ROV into the water in the search area.
The ROV's reached the sea floor at around 10:00 am.

At noon on Thursday, one of those ROV's reported finding the debris field. It is unclear which one.

It has been revealed that the banging noises turned out not to be near where the debris was found, and the noises have been attributed to other ships operating in the area, but that wasn't known at the time.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, except for the part where he's repeating as confirmed fact the controversial idea that the Captain of the Titanic steamed at full speed through a known icefield.

I don’t understand how someone like him, who researched the entire thing, could continue with misleading facts and that discovery channel talk.

I watched a documentary about the Titanic, and that's exactly what happened. It also had a cameo by the King of the World, so pretty authoritative.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I watched a documentary about the Titanic, and that's exactly what happened. It also had a cameo by the King of the World, so pretty authoritative.
giphy.gif

2 Questions
How did all those cameramen film those people freezing to death without them freezing as well?
How did they get color film in 1912?

I just find it weird that they suddenly found the debris field right after the time when they were to run out of oxygen.
Sounds to me like the search/oxygen story was to keep everyone glued to the news in order to give people hope!
Navy hears a sound at the time of the disappearance? I don't think the Navy would write that off as nothing at the time that they heard what they heard! I'm sure after that report, someone was enroute down to the
crash site and discovered the wreck at that time.
The articles I read said the Navy went back and checked audio recordings, then discovered the sound. I didn’t read that the Navy heard the sound when it happened.

Besides, I’m sure the dive company never notified the Navy that they were even sending a submersible down to the Titanic wreckage in the first place. On the contrary, this company seemed to favor flying under the radar (sonar?) so to speak.

The articles I read said the Navy went back and checked audio recordings, then discovered the sound. I didn’t read that the Navy heard the sound when it happened.

Besides, I’m sure the dive company never notified the Navy that they were even sending a submersible down to the Titanic wreckage in the first place. On the contrary, this company seemed to favor flying under the radar (sonar?) so to speak.
Every article I've read says that the Navy heard the sound the moment it supposedly imploded (in real time). And that they immediately shared the information with the Coast Guard. And didn't say anything till yesterday because of the secretive nature of the system they used to hear the sound.
And yes the company probably never notified anyone of the voyage but that was the point of the secrecy thing:
The Navy can hear you underwater without you ever knowing that they did!
I guess in the end it's all speculation anyways. They've unfortunately met their fate and whatever the media saying is whatever they are told by the rescue operation.

Apparently the carbon fibre used in the sub was out of date stock bought cheap from Boeing.

So not just the wrong material, but not even the best of it.

It was never going to end any other way, was it. ☹️
Out of date for aerospace use. I guess the owner of the sub thought that fact wouldn't matter in a marine application.
The stuff had never been fully tested for extreme under water environments (expired or not) so nobody knew exactly what could happen. Matter of fact, it successfully worked a couple times before. So I guess he figured it would withstand
the pressure after repeated uses. He was wrong!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Every article I've read says that the Navy heard the sound the moment it supposedly imploded (in real time). And that they immediately shared the information with the Coast Guard. And didn't say anything till yesterday because of the secretive nature of the system they used to hear the sound.
And yes the company probably never notified anyone of the voyage but that was the point of the secrecy thing:
The Navy can hear you underwater without you ever knowing that they did!
I guess in the end it's all speculation anyways. They've unfortunately met their fate and whatever the media saying is whatever they are told by the rescue operation.
Whether the Navy heard it real time or on later review is moot.
The Navy could not have notified the Coast Guard immediately after time of incident because the sub wasn't even reported to the Coast Guard as being missing until Sunday evening, 8 hours later.
It's likely that communication of that info required authorization for release, and it probably didn't get into on scene Coast Guard hands until at least Monday.

Whether the Navy heard it real time or on later review is moot.
The Navy could not have notified the Coast Guard immediately after time of incident because the sub wasn't even reported to the Coast Guard as being missing until Sunday evening, 8 hours later.
It's likely that communication of that info required authorization for release, and it probably didn't get into on scene Coast Guard hands until at least Monday.
I agree that it was moot. However, I suspect it was detected near real time. But in practical terms, for many of the reasons you have listed, it wasn't actionable or known to be related to the submersible. I think what will be telling is the sensor feed, both before and after the event. Many distributed sensor arrays will have local processing at the sensor point that constantly watches for anomalous events. I have to imagine the impulse spike of a catastrophic implosion would register on even the most basic local sensor processing equipment.

Often an event like that will initiate two things: 1) send an immediate short alarm through whatever backhaul is employed for that detection array to give a quick alert to centralized monitoring equipment and human operators that something just happened of signature type X; and 2) the sensor also starts forwarding more detailed feeds around the event. Usually the sensor is in a loop constantly saving the last X minutes of sensor feed, so that it can provide X minutes of detailed telemetry that occurred prior to the detected event, and then whatever programmed minutes after the event. So there may be additional details that will help investigation of unusual signatures or sounds that lead up to the failure point. It also can take a while, depending on the sensor communication links, to get that detailed information back to a centralized point for machine or human interpretation. I also imagine more than one sensor was in range of the event. So there could be even more processing and interpretation that can be employed with multiple feeds.

It's over. Only the human cost is relevant at this time.

They were all experienced, seasoned extreme travellers and tourists with the exception of one.

Stockton Rush, who went down with his submersible, and his business, the noted British adventurer Hamish Harding, who was one of the handful to visit the deepest part of the ocean, Challenger Deep and held 3 records, the famous veteren French deep sea submariner Paul Henri Nargeoloet who was a senior officer in the French Navy, and the Billionaire philanthropist and amateur extreme tourist Shahzada Dawood, who had travelled both the Arctic and Antarctic.

The greatest hero to my mind, and the most courageous of the crew, was the young Suleman Dawood, at just 19, who was evidently terrified of the venture, but conquered his fears to bond with his father, and gain his respect. He was under pressure to accompany his father, according to his sister, and bravely joined his father.

For all their faults, ego and hubris, may they rest in peace, and may young Suleman, the bravest and most innocent, be especially remembered.

Last edited:
I am surprise people are still interested in this story, the end has come, plus because we live in 2023 I am sure Lawyers smells Money, are working on litigation, because no one take responsibility for anything. Every thing BAD is someone else fault.

The families left behind are now dealing with family members death, not a good thing. They will never see there family member again. SAD.

MSM will move on to next big story, in 30 days no one will remember this lost experimental sub, or the people names who died.

This is what the MSM does reports bad news until the life is all sucked out of a story. Then they move on to the NEXT Big story to start feeding frenzy like sharks, with a competition who can report FIRST, with true facts, or fiction. TRUTH is no longer Necessary, it all about Rating, and Money.

Seldom report GOOD NEWS in reported, except on very slow BAD NEWS DAYS.

Thank goodness for offbeat, feature, and human interest stories that use to be in ‘News” they paid most of my bill 30 years, hard MS News was only small part my bread n butter.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I am surprise people are still interested in this story, the end has come, plus because we live in 2023 I am sure Lawyers smells Money, are working on litigation, because no one take responsibility for anything. Every thing BAD is someone else fault.

The families left behind are now dealing with family members death, not a good thing. They will never see there family member again. SAD.

MSM will move on to next big story, in 30 days no one will remember this lost experimental sub, or the people names who died.

This is what the MSM does reports bad news until the life is all sucked out of a story. Then they move on to the NEXT Big story to start feeding frenzy like sharks, with a competition who can report FIRST, with true facts, or fiction. TRUTH is no longer Necessary, it all about Rating, and Money.

Seldom report GOOD NEWS in reported, except on very slow BAD NEWS DAYS.

Thank goodness for offbeat, feature, and human interest stories that use to be in ‘News” they paid most of my bill 30 years, hard MS News was only small part my bread n butter.
Sad but true

The greatest hero to my mind, and the most courageous of the crew, was the young Suleman Dawood, at just 19, who was evidently terrified of the venture, but conquered his fears to bond with his father, and gain his respect. He was under pressure to accompany his father, according to his sister, and bravely joined his father.
And I read that his seat was actually for his mother. She supposedly gave up the seat so he could go! And the worse part is that his mother and sister were both up on the ship (Polar Prince). They both were there to send them off on the dive and to receive them on the return that never happened:(
I read two conflicting articles though, one said that his aunt is the one that said that he was terrified. Apparently she spoke to him on the day of the dive. Then the other article said that his mother said that he really wanted to go, hence the reason that she gave up the seat for him.

Top Bottom