What's new

Submersible With 5 Aboard Gone Missing During Dive On Titanic

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Simon:
Update.png..."A race against the clock is underway to save five people trapped on a submersible that may have become trapped in the wreckage of the Titanic".
👍Come-on Coast Guard..."This is what you do" (more than enough time)..."Semper Paratus - Always Ready"!
1687215278551.png

Read More: Titanic-submarine-live-missing-sub-stuck-in-wreckage-with-just-60-hours-of-air-left

Last edited:
Come-on Coast Guard..."This is what you do" (more than enough time)..."Semper Paratus - Always Ready"!
1687215278551.png
The USCG and the US & RCN are all going to have to work on this. This will be the deepest submarine rescue in history by far.

An ROV is going to have to find the sub and attach cabling and bouyancy gear to get it up. I think it's too deep for a DSRV to go down and connect..

All the gear should be already in the air or ship heading to the scene. Maybe the sub operators can extend the life systems 12-18 hours or so.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The USCG and the US & RCN are all going to have to work on this. This will be the deepest submarine rescue in history by far.

An ROV is going to have to find the sub and attach cabling and bouyancy gear to get it up. I think it's too deep for a DSRV to go down and connect..

All the gear should be already in the air or ship heading to the scene. Maybe the sub operators can extend the life systems 12-8 hours or so.
Simon:
plus-one-png.797576
...and forget about any inter-agency friendly 'rivalries'...work together as a team and get them out. :thumbsup:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Manned submersibles like that used in this Titanic exploration, are generally equipped with a "failsafe" releasable ballast module that automatically releases the ballast module in the event of any power failure. The submersible then rises rapidly to the surface. This ballast release system can also be activated manually.

The ballast module release system is of no use if the submersible implodes due to structural failure (very rarely happens) or if the submersible is somehow entrapped below the surface. If entrapped and found, it becomes a very difficult situation to overcome, even with outside assistance.

Here is hoping that the submersible is floating somewhere on the surface without power and their EPIRB is not functioning.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Terrible situation. I was just reading that the Navy’s deep dive rescue sub goes to 2000 feet. This voyage was intended to go much deeper. There are no real updates as of now.

I heard about this this morning. Very sad. Hopefully they knew it was risky business!

The people on the Sub paid big buck for the adventure, this was not a trip someone who flips burgers goes on.

Good the USN, UKNavy, and USCG are working together on the rescue.

If the Rescue is successful, a I am sure the people trapped will be hounded for book deals, big screen movie rights, or television movie rights.

No, if one of the Navy’s subs goes that deep, there’s no one to rescue. The hatch on this sub is bolted on from the outside, so the sub has to be brought to the surface to get anyone out. Probably the best case scenario is if the automatic systems worked and it’s on the surface now, and the Coast Guard planes can find it. Good luck.
Yes, DSRV's of all nationalities are meant to rescue trapped crews of their fleet subs, whose crush depths at most are maybe 700-1000 metres.

Here is a report from CBS correspondent David Pogue, who dived on in the Titan last year to the site. Insightful read.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-visiting-the-most-famous-shipwreck-in-the-world/

A very professional and expert channel on Titanic and modern exploration of the site on YT, the excellent Historic Travels with 2 updates

Last edited:
Well apparently if you were upper an adventure of visiting the Titanic in 12,500 feet of water the trip would cost 100-150 K USD, Not chicken feed.

If indeed the Exploration Sub got close to the bottom were Titanic is laying, it a long way to surface, should like rescue could be impossible.

When I heard that the submersible was made of carbon fiber my immediate concern was how carbon is strong until it suddenly fails without warning. I've done a fair bit of carbon fiber repairs and it doesn't just give or bend like steel - it suddenly lets go in a catastrophic way. Hoping they are on the surface waiting to be found but fearing the worst :( Carbon fiber failure and instant implosion.

I did a little search and found this article.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks for posting this!

This is the quy who runs the Sub Brief channel on YT.

I am utterly shocked just how poor this submersible is, design-wise. No safety systems? No voice comms??

Why wasn't it certified by *some* Govt agency?
I am shocked too about this. And the steering is a $30 game box controller, are you kidding me?????

I am shocked too about this. And the steering is a $30 game box controller, are you kidding me?????
Something else to consider....the amount of air is best case scenario. Not pannick breathing when they realize something has gone wrong.

I agree with you. I don't think this recovery ends well or they ever find the vessel....but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Thanks for posting this!

This is the quy who runs the Sub Brief channel on YT.

I am utterly shocked just how poor this submersible is, design-wise. No safety systems? No voice comms??

Why wasn't it certified by *some* Govt agency?
International waters. Zero oversight.

It's awful. But at the same time I wouldn't get into a submersible that was piloted with a video game controller and lighting provided by Camping World. At least they had a fire extinguisher. Why is it white for crying out loud? Hard to find a 22 foot craft floating amidst 6 foot white caps... Orange maybe???:letterk1:

Top Bottom