What's new

Styptic Pencil vs Alum Block

It's gonna have an odor after you rub it all over your armpits! :lol:

Besides, I just can't see rubbing the alum block on your armpits and then proceed to rub it all over your face. Perhaps they're small enough that you could pack 2? :tongue:

It's not gonna have an odor if you use it on your pits after you shower. I use the same block on my face and pits. I figure they are equally clean after a shower....I think an alum block is better than any antiperspirant/deodorant that I have used. I used to get white stains on my dark blue uniforms in the armpits from deodorant/antiperspirant. I always thought it was salt from sweat....That problem went away when I started using alum.

I've never used a styptic pencil. I started DE shaving 50-some years ago and kept it up for 20+ years, same razor (Fatboy.) This year, FB again, DE shaving again, and an alum block to gently tell me where I was too rough and to ease irritation. I never cut myself, no nicks, no weepers, etc., probably because of retained muscle memory from years ago, so I never need a styptic pencil.

First off, this must be the greatest gap in a resurrected thread. February, 2008 until today. As for the topic at hand, a styptic is useful for the more hideous mistakes. I used an alum block, more out of habit as a pre-aftershave treatment. Since dropping the block in the sink several weeks ago, I haven't missed it and have taken the aftershave sting as it happens. Not chopping the bejabbers out of my face while shaving helps, too.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pushing this thread back up as it contains the information that I was looking for.

I nick myself more here and there as I get older. I don't know if it's me stretching my blades too much, loose skin, or too much garlic (blood thinner). I get a (good) nick once in a while. They bleed a lot and a piece of toilet paper doesn't work super well.

I will likely get a Styptic pencil and alum block.

I also looked at the similar threads below and found this thread to be very helpful: Alum Block Question - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/alum-block-question.646973/

Styptic pencil is required for weepers and cuts. Alum is used more so as an astringent which can stop micro cuts from bleeding. It's good to have both on hand but the styptic should rarely be used. If you're breaking out the pencil every shave you're doing something wrong.

Top Bottom