What's new

Alum Block Question

I have never really used an alum block after shaving. I just use an aftershave balm or splash but have been thinking of buying an alum block to try it out.

My question is don’t these alum blocks slip from your hand because they are wet? I have seen some alum blocks like Razorock that has a plastic handle to hold it. I do use a styptic pencils for cuts.

I have used both styles. The Osma block is very good quality, BTW.

I've not had any problem with dropping the block, but there might be a trick to it. You can hold the block like a bar of soap, so when you run it over your face, you have it in palm of your hand. The broad face of the block goes against the face.

My question is don’t these alum blocks slip from your hand because they are wet? I have seen some alum blocks like Razorock that has a plastic handle to hold it. I do use a styptic pencils for cuts.
I'll start by saying the Osma alum block is the only one I'll use. I personally advise against cheaper blocks that are made of compressed granules, much like particle-board. That being said, they do get a little slippery when wet, but "greased pig" slippery. It took me years to drop/shatter my first one... Consider it a Rite of Passage.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried an Omega alum and found it to be of zero benefit for after shaving. I used it instead as a deodorant and it was superb; it was easy to hold and lasted a long long time.
1701803967773.png

I tried an Omega alum and found it to be of zero benefit for after shaving. I used it instead as a deodorant and it was superb; it was easy to hold and lasted a long long time.
View attachment 1759417
Precisely what mine is used for...

Osma is my preferred, but I also have a 100g Proraso block that I have been using as a backup at my office which works well enough.

Alum blocks are very tacky. In fact, if you ever run into having issues holding onto your razor handle because it's slippery with soap/cream, run a block over your fingertips and problem solved.
That's all mine ever really got used for too. I hate the feeling of my face if I tried to use it after shaving.

Good for stopping the odd weeper too.

Once my crumbled away, I never repurchase.

Osma is the one to get.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Osma is the only way.
You will drop and shatter one at some point, but a bit like keeping your run going on Wordle, or completing the NYT crossword, make a game of how long you can go. I went an easy 5+ years, then, just like buses, broke two in a matter of months.
^^^This^^^

I'm on a year and a half streak with my current alum block. I paid $1.50 for it at a local Indian market. I figure I'll be able to swing another should this one meet an unfortunate demise.

As of today, you can get a stick of razorock alum block and Osma on sale for around $12 for both.

I just started using the Osma block and had no issues.

I would go with both!

Attachments

• IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 18
I have an alum block that I found on Amazon. It is in a little green plastic box and is labeled "Barber Upp Green Block". It isn't green, it is a block of white crystals.

I tried using it on my whole face after shaving a few times and found no benefit. Now I only use it instead of a stick for treating nicks and weepers. I find it superior to a stick so I'm glad I have it.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Rubbing your wet fingertips on an an alum block will make your fingertips extra grippy.

But a wet alum block is probably one of the most unpredictable things you can hold in your hand. They are temperamental. Sometimes they randomly decide they would rather dive bomb onto the floor than be held in your hand.

If you drop it, sometimes they will just loose a little chip off the corner. Sometimes they "explode" into hundreds of little shards.

Put a thick rubber band around the alum block makes it easy to hold onto. :idea:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am a believer in the ever wise Osma alum block!
proxy.php

Why?
Cause if you use Feather blades, oh boy are you going to need it. :lol:

In all seriousness, alum blocks help to tone your skin, tighten up your pores, help to put a stop to nicks, and help to deal with slight irritation. I wouldn't rely on alum however to stop weepers, I've had some pretty bad weepers before that required my Pinaud Clubman jumbo styptic stick. But overall, using alum is a good idea, provided you don't have bad allergic reactions to alum that is.

For almost 2-years, I've actually been using my Stirling 125G alum block, it comes in a little container. But in the time that I've had it, its gotten smaller, and developed a hole on the end of it, its only a matter of time before it crumbles like a cookie. I do try to dry off the alum block with a towel, before putting it back in its container though. When it disintegrates, I'll switch to my better quality Osma alum block.

It won't hurt to try the alum block. If you don't like it on your face, wet it and use in place of deodorant like I do. You can also put it in a baggie, break a piece off with a hammer and pulverize that piece into into a powder to use instead of a styptic pencil for cuts. Dip a wet finger in and apply to the weeper. When dry, just brush it off your face. For cuts, put more on.

In college in the 1960s, after breaking too many styptic pencils, I found a can of shaving alum/styptic powder in a drug store. I still have some of it. I keep it hidden, and tell my wife I still use it, just to annoy her. You can also use McCormick's Alum or store brand powdered alum for weepers or nicks.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm a dedicated alum user - on fingertips prior to lathering, post shave/pre-aftershave, and as an underarm deodorant. I've broken a number of them, though the last couple years they have lasted down to a sliver. Just my experience but they seemed to last longer once I started keeping it in the open air rather than tucked in the little plastic case.

DSC01121.JPG

Top Bottom