What's new

Stupid question but.. How to improve script

So since using fountain pens I have really enjoyed them.. the issue is like 99% of Americans my script sucks and I don't have many chances to use it since work is usually done on the computer.. although I have been using more handwritting for my notebook in the laboratory or at my desk. The issue is my script sucks since all I ever use is standard printing when I write. I would like to be able to pen a nice letter to the wife every now and then but want to improve my script first.

Does anyone have any suggestions of resources or exercises other then revisit elementary school lessons =p

Slow down and work on your technique!!! Wait a minute am I in the "write" forum???? Practice! Practice! Practice!!!

Tom

In addition to slowing down when forming your letters and words you might try to turn your fountain pen so that the nib is at an angle instead of being vertical or horizontal to the page.

Dave

I have started a journal, for the first time in my life, and only allow myself to write in cursive when making entries. At first, my cursive was horrible because I hadn't used it in so many years, except in my signature. Now, several days later I've found my penmanship is far better. I've had to slow way down and consider the formation of every letter in the word before I move the pen and it's paying off. It will be interesting to flip through the journal to see the progression in quality of my handwriting. I can already tell a marked difference.

Good luck ;-)

I have started a journal, for the first time in my life, and only allow myself to write in cursive when making entries. At first, my cursive was horrible because I hadn't used it in so many years, except in my signature. Now, several days later I've found my penmanship is far better. I've had to slow way down and consider the formation of every letter in the word before I move the pen and it's paying off. It will be interesting to flip through the journal to see the progression in quality of my handwriting. I can already tell a marked difference.

Good luck ;-)

This is exactly what I have been doing! I started a journal and only write in cursive while writing in my journal. At work I print because I need to write fast and make sure my handwriting is very legible. At first, like Rick, my handwriting was just terrible. I have seen a steady improvement over the past couple of weeks.

I have also been doing tracing exercises that my wife printed for me that she uses in her classroom. Feels silly, but it's working.

Once I discovered cursive in third grade, I never looked back. Of course, once I started working with computers on a daily basis...... :mellow:

So, while my cursive should just require some practice again, my print still looks pretty rough because I never really developed it. Are there any guides out there for print? Also, different styles of print, especially those developed, say, during the height of fountain pen use...?

I recently had a firearm transfer through Cabela's, and the elderly gentleman helping me had some fantastic looking print writing. Though it was written with a standard ball-point, it just cried "I learned this while using a fountain pen" through its stroke structure...

I've read that allowing your whole arm to move -- not just your wrist -- can help penmanship and prevent fatigue. I've tried it a few times, and with practice it would probably pay off. The challenge is learning some new muscle memory.

I just don't write cursive. Takes too much practice to get it to a level I find aesthetically pleasing on a personal level. I remember once when I was a kid and my teacher told me I had to write in cursive when I did math problems (for the textual answers). I was upset because I hated cursive, told my mum and she sent an angry letter to the school.

Cursive free since the sixth grade, baby!

Once I discovered cursive in third grade, I never looked back. Of course, once I started working with computers on a daily basis...... :mellow:.

That's me to a tee. Being a network admin for most of my adult years, I've rarely found the time to write anymore. In the past, my script has been so bad, I could have literately forged a doctor's prescription.

I found this link. It has some old penmanship textbooks from late 19th and early 20th centuries in pdf format. It might be just what you're looking for.

Being a network admin for most of my adult years
"To a tee" indeed... :laugh:

I found this link. It has some old penmanship textbooks from late 19th and early 20th centuries in pdf format. It might be just what you're looking for.
This is a very promising resource, thanks. :thumbup: I already like the look of some of these practice drills as well as letter formation. After years at the keyboard (though converting to Dvorak has helped a bit), I have a feeling these basic drills will be good for helping my hand and wrist relearn overall stroke control.

That's me to a tee. Being a network admin for most of my adult years, I've rarely found the time to write anymore. In the past, my script has been so bad, I could have literately forged a doctor's prescription.

I know what you mean. Been writing software for almost 20 years. My cursive has suffered greatly and you'd swer I was a doctor to see my signature.

Top Bottom