What's new

Strope paste Question

I was going to pick up some DOVO red or green strop paste to keep on one of my strops instead of going down stairs to the bench for just a quick light polish. Then I thought I would ask first is there something better for this purpose and if not which would serve my purpose better the red or the green? thanks for you opinions

You might want to look into chromium oxide and/or amplex diamond paste. I have been getting great results with these on my 4-sided paddle strop.

I've never seen any grit numbers on them only that they rate them by colors according to increasing coarseness. I think the diamond pastes are the way to go if your going to use a pasted strop. The .50 and .25 are what you need to use.

I recently started using the .50 diamond paste from Apex(Classicshaving) with great results. I use it for the final polish after honing with the 12k.

Raf

My understanding is that the green paste which is Chromium Oxide is at the .5 micron level.

Have fun.

Lynn

This is odd- they rate the green paste as "very coarse". Strange if it is Chromium oxide- what is the red paste (which is even finer) made from?
I think that a lot of people are very enthusiastic about diamond pastes mainly because they are very clear about the grit rating. Other than that, as far as I can see, the only benefit is that they will abrade even the hardest steel. Both are good reasons, it's a shame other manufacturers are not so clear about it.

Top Bottom