What's new

Strongly disagree with 'Do not wipe blade'

I think we are told not to wipe blades because law school is expensive and its tough to pay off your school loan, your vacation home, and your Mercedes at the same time. It's lawyer talk pure and simple. That said, I think blade-drying and hand stropping are quite unnecessary and only add so much "fiddle factor" to an already time-consuming process. I use a blade three days and toss it. Could I get 4 or more? Possibly. But, I don't see any reason to have that last uncomfortable shave while trying to eke out just one more shave from a blade. I'd say if your retirement plan hinges on getting 5 shades per blade rather than 3, you've got bigger problems than blade management.

It is not about the money. It is nice to stretch the cost of a blade such that the cost is less than $0.01 per shave, but that is not the reason that I try to stretch a blade. It is about getting maximum performance out of the blade while still getting good shaves. Why not try to get the most out of my blade and my technique?

It is not about the money. It is nice to stretch the cost of a blade such that the cost is less than $0.01 per shave, but that is not the reason that I try to stretch a blade. It is about getting maximum performance out of the blade while still getting good shaves. Why not try to get the most out of my blade and my technique?

Agreed. Sure, $.09/blade is cheap, but getting 10 shaves out of one is REALLY stickin it to the man :) Why NOT be greedy with my hardware? Hehe

I have always taken the blade out and blown the water off since I started. Most times I don't strop unless I feel tugging or little pricks early on, even then I just leave it out until getting ready to shave and I get plenty of blade mileage. Even wiping off soap scum has never made the blade useless in popularity though. What blades have you tried out of curiosity?

Well... Astra SP, Astra SS, Voskhod, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Rapira Platinum Lux, Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany), Feather Platinum, Derby, Chroma Diamant, Shark (can't remember, try not to), Dorco 301, and perhaps a few I cannot recall.

I've tried so many different things now, stropping, wiping, drying, leaving alone etc. etc.. In the end, no matter what, I get a good comfortable week out of my blades. Period. Simplest just to rinse and set down until tomorrow.

Most blades are marked with this warning but I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I once thought it was a 'duhhh' label, intended to reduce accidents but then the old ads would say something like, 'no need to wipe blade, just rinse' which makes me think it's more about retaining the quality of the edge. So... here's where that sentiment breaks down in my routine:

If I remove a blade, rinse it and allow it to dry between the folds of a barber towel, it lasts about 2 shaves. If I strop it on my palm a few times before doing that, I get many many shaves out of it. However, if I simply rinse my razor, shake it out and blow it out real good, then lay it down to air out, the blade becomes worthless in a matter of hours. I've tested all my blades and the results are consistent.

Is this caused by hard water? Is the warning even related to corrosion? I suppose I should just keep doing what I'm doing if it works for me, ha?

Some forget that every bathroom, water supply and locale humidity is different when they push the "Pfft, just rinse the head with water and leave the blade in!" argument. I followed that early on and ended up with a stained razor. I've since learned that any wet blade in my bathroom develops stains in hours, and that I have to disassemble and make sure that both the razor and blade are free of any large water droplets.

What works for some doesn't work for others, so do what works for you.

I rinse the blade & blow dry I then put it in another razor that is dry & store it in my den. I always get 5-8 good shaves from a good blade.

Whatever works! Personally I do not see much advantage to wiping a blade while I can see many potential problems. YMMV for sure.

I've never wiped or stropped a blade in my life.
I just rinse it at full pressure under the cold tap (higher pressure)
Blow hard to get all the excess moisture off it
Unless I'm test driving a new razor, I load it into a different razor ready for my next shave
I try to alternate between TTO and 3-Piece razors to add a bit of variety, but technically I suppose it's also a way of flipping the blades.

After all that, I can only get 4 good shaves per blade from:
Bic Chrome Platinum, Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green & Black (both from India), Racer Super Class Platinum, Personna Platinum, Wilkinson Sword (Germany) and Zaza Super Stainless

And 3 good shaves per blade from:
Astra Superior Platinum, Ladas Super Stainless, Rapira Chrome Stainless, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod Teflon, Sputnik Teflon, Gillette Rubie Platinum,
Gillette Nacet, Perma-Sharp Super, Rainbow Super Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, Centwin Super Platinum, Kleen Shave Stainless, Vijay Stainless and Topaz Platinum

And only 2 good shaves per blade from:
Dorco ST300, but they were freebies anyway

Unless I'm test driving a new razor, I load it into a different razor ready for my next shave
I try to alternate between TTO and 3-Piece razors to add a bit of variety, but technically I suppose it's also a way of flipping the blades.

After all that, I can only get 4 good shaves per blade from:
Bic Chrome Platinum, Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock Green & Black (both from India), Racer Super Class Platinum, Personna Platinum, Wilkinson Sword (Germany) and Zaza Super Stainless

And 3 good shaves per blade from:
Astra Superior Platinum, Ladas Super Stainless, Rapira Chrome Stainless, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod Teflon, Sputnik Teflon, Gillette Rubie Platinum,
Gillette Nacet, Perma-Sharp Super, Rainbow Super Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, Centwin Super Platinum, Kleen Shave Stainless, Vijay Stainless and Topaz Platinum

And only 2 good shaves per blade from:
Dorco ST300, but they were freebies anyway

I get X7 shaves with Shark SS, X5 from Astra SP & X7 from 7 O'clock Green.:thumbup1:

Some forget that every bathroom, water supply and locale humidity is different when they push the "Pfft, just rinse the head with water and leave the blade in!" argument. I followed that early on and ended up with a stained razor. I've since learned that any wet blade in my bathroom develops stains in hours, and that I have to disassemble and make sure that both the razor and blade are free of any large water droplets.

Have you tried dunking the razor and blade in Isopropyl Alcohol to drive the water off? Keeping a jar of it under the sink and dunking your razor might save you a bit of time. Just a thought.

Exactly! I found out pretty quick that hard water and soap turns into soap scum after about 5 minutes, which adheres to the blade like glue if I let it dry. Rinsing in water does not remove it, so I usually remove the blade and wash it and the razor with a little hand soap. This keeps my razor looking nice and shiny too, and it takes me all of 30 seconds to do.

Never even thought about it. Just rinse, shake, and stow.

Yep,I have been doing this since 1980 when I started shaving with a DE,never had a blade that lasted me less than 7 shaves this way (with any brand of blade,it does not really matter). I simply change blades every Saturday morning as a ritual (I am pretty sure they could last even longer nut they are so cheap and nothing beats the feel of a fresh blade)

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb here and say that in a blind test of blades with and without the various handling techniques, you'd get the same number of shaves per blade, if we're talking about less than ten shaves (and definitely at 2 shaves or less). A blade going bad in hours on it's own after a single shave? That's extremely unlikely.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that in a blind test of blades with and without the various handling techniques, you'd get the same number of shaves per blade, if we're talking about less than ten shaves (and definitely at 2 shaves or less). A blade going bad in hours on it's own after a single shave? That's extremely unlikely.

Yet, it happens. Corrosion only takes hours. I wake up to find my wire mesh strainers rusting in my dishwasher over night (just happened to a brand new one). I think it's hard water and the humid Houston weather.

Have you tried dunking the razor and blade in Isopropyl Alcohol to drive the water off? Keeping a jar of it under the sink and dunking your razor might save you a bit of time. Just a thought.

+1

This is exactly what I do. No problems with corrosion, staining or shortened blade life. I live in what can become an extremely humid coastal environment, never mind the fact during the time the bathroom is in use for a hot shower, it is one of the most humid environments on earth.

I think drying a blade is a good thing. Stropping I assume removes and mineral deposits. Not sure how palm stropping works to realign a DE blade though. I have read pros and cons in this. To each their own. I am fortunate to live in an area with soft water. I rinse my razor very well. Blow dry it by mouth and put it up.

Yet, it happens. Corrosion only takes hours. I wake up to find my wire mesh strainers rusting in my dishwasher over night (just happened to a brand new one). I think it's hard water and the humid Houston weather.
If you are using carbon steel blades, yes they will rust in a matter of hours. But, modern stainless blades will go months or possibly years without rusting.

I pay no attention to the warning, but I've always been a rule breaker.:wink2:

I usually remove the blade after the shave rinse it, wipe it with my finger if it isn't coming off fast enough, let it dry on the counter for a few min. ,flip it, and return it to the razor or put it in a different razor. I get between 10 and 30+ shaves out of a blade. My shaves consist of head, cheeks, and neck.
I would like to expand on my original post. I don't remove the blade, because I think it's better for the blade I do it because I like to keep my razors free of soap. I switch razors often, and don't want to leave a blade in and soap on a razor. Some razors go for months without being used again.

Well... Astra SP, Astra SS, Voskhod, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Rapira Platinum Lux, Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany), Feather Platinum, Derby, Chroma Diamant, Shark (can't remember, try not to), Dorco 301, and perhaps a few I cannot recall.

That's crazy! Well whatever works right? At least you have a method that works

If you have very hard water, that might have something to do with it. A quick dip in rubbing alcohol (just to get that water off) might help more than anything else, if that's the case.

I have soft water, and I just rinse, dip, and hang it up. The blade never leaves the razor until I'm done with it a good several shaves or so down the line.

I've been using rubbing alcohol for years and have never had a problem.

Top Bottom