Frank X Hess Hand Forged 100 Razor 6/8"
HESS HAIR MILK LAB.
ST.PAUL,MINN. U.S.A.
EXTRA HOLLOW.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Picked up this recently from an excellent ebay seller who I then got chatting to, and noticed yesterday he is of this parish.

I don't know if @Sustainashave had had to do much restoration work on this Heljestrand No.8*, but if he did - it was exemplary. You'd be forgiven for thinking the razor was brand new. He'd also honed it to an excellent 'shave ready', without tape, and with seemingly zero spine wear. I only have a handful of razors where I'd say I'd done as good an initial job, whilst keeping them so pristine.

Final pic is a tang stamp; JTSKOTT, and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was? I assume perhaps a retailer...?

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

* I believe you have one of these @Darth Scandalous? I'm rather liking this one, especially because I've never particularly like the Heljestrand thumb notch thing.

I believe you have one of these @Darth Scandalous? I'm rather liking this one, especially because I've never particularly like the Heljestrand thumb notch thing.
Yes, I do. It definitely feels more substantial than the MK31, both the straight tang and the slightly heavier, less hollow grind. I had actually listed mine for sale briefly before my better judgment took over. Glad I kept it.

Yes, I do. It definitely feels more substantial than the MK31, both the straight tang and the slightly heavier, less hollow grind. I had actually listed mine for sale briefly before my better judgment took over. Glad I kept it.

Ah right, the MK 31 is more full hollow is it then?

I’m not very good at describing these things tbh, but would you call the No.8 ‘half hollow’?

IMG_3690.jpeg

A wise move to pull yours off BST I think! This is definitely a keeper for me anyway, just need to dig out some spare ivory scales for it…

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Last week’s impulse buy (unplanned) prior to my final two razors to arrive from France; a EARLY “Pipe” Razor could be Linley, Bradshaw, Johnson, and or honestly least likely would be Wolstenholm as other Cutlers with pipe mark predate them.

From Matt at Griffith a one off near wedge dressed in Siberian Wooly Mammoth Ivory, dark horn wedge and superb pinning.
IMG_3985.jpeg
IMG_3987.jpeg
IMG_3988.jpeg
IMG_3989.jpeg
IMG_3990.jpeg

Picked up this recently from an excellent ebay seller who I then got chatting to, and noticed yesterday he is of this parish.

I don't know if @Sustainashave had had to do much restoration work on this Heljestrand No.8*, but if he did - it was exemplary. You'd be forgiven for thinking the razor was brand new. He'd also honed it to an excellent 'shave ready', without tape, and with seemingly zero spine wear. I only have a handful of razors where I'd say I'd done as good an initial job, whilst keeping them so pristine.

Final pic is a tang stamp; JTSKOTT, and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was? I assume perhaps a retailer...?

View attachment 1810013

View attachment 1810014

View attachment 1810015

* I believe you have one of these @Darth Scandalous? I'm rather liking this one, especially because I've never particularly like the Heljestrand thumb notch thing.
Thanks fella, it is a top tier shaver by my book and was great to get shaving again. It's not quite as fine as any MK.29/30/31 or 32 I've had they are just on a slight different level for the hollowness.. Glad its gone to someone who appreciates a good razor.. 👍

Was just looking through my ‘to do’ razors yesterday and found this old 1/4 hollow Joseph Rodgers in black horn, which I think looks quite nice.

From memory I think I’ve sharpened some old JR butchers’ knives before, but never had a razor. Knives were lovely, and seems to be a generally well regarded maker for razors too from what I understand…

IMG_3802.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

Was just looking through my ‘to do’ razors yesterday and found this old 1/4 hollow Joseph Rodgers in black horn, which I think looks quite nice.

From memory I think I’ve sharpened some old JR butchers’ knives before, but never had a razor. Knives were lovely, and seems to be a generally well regarded maker for razors too from what I understand…

View attachment 1811997

View attachment 1811998

Actually I tell I lie... I do have another Joseph Rodgers razor, but it's also sitting in my 'to do' pile. A weird and highly ornate old wedge, with some of the most beautifully figured horn scales I've ever seen. Perhaps I'll do them both up together this weekend.

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

Top Bottom