What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Ulrik sent pictures of the new 8/8 full hollow square point. Paid extra for the upgraded shipping with tracking and a box! Cant wait for it to arrive, then off to Alfredo for ivory scales. I stopped posting in the SOTD thread because I have been stuck on Ulrik's 8/8 spike point full hollow Alfredo finished for me.

Thats sweet Brian!! Can wait to see that one completed!!

I have had a go at the Wade & Butcher "Special" razor. Of course there is some pitting remaining, but it's not bad. It has had to have a great deal of bread knif treatment as there was a frown. Now to try to hone it!

Before & after:

$Wade & Butcher 1.jpg

$Wade & Butcher 2.jpg

How I loathe pinning razors; what a pain in the neck it is; this time at least I haven't broken the scales but the pinning is poor. If I could find miniature nuts and screws I wouldn't hesitate for a minute!

All the best

C.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have had a go at the Wade & Butcher "Special" razor. Of course there is some pitting remaining, but it's not bad. It has had to have a great deal of bread knif treatment as there was a frown. Now to try to hone it!

Before & after:

How I loathe pinning razors; what a pain in the neck it is; this time at least I haven't broken the scales but the pinning is poor. If I could find miniature nuts and screws I wouldn't hesitate for a minute!

All the best

C.
Nice work. You're pretty good at cleaning razors up. That's a skill that might come in pretty handy in the next week or so...:001_smile

Nice work. You're pretty good at cleaning razors up. That's a skill that might come in pretty handy in the next week or so...:001_smile

Ha ha! Many thanks - I think!!

Just started trying to hone; all that bread-knifing has made a lot of work - and really it could do with a little more. There's quite a lot of old hone wear so I've put a layer of tape on it. It's too much for the 1500 diamond plate I normally use for bevel-setting so i am am soakingt he 800 King stone as I write this!

Ah! the woes of SRAD eh?!

Rgds

C.

Ha ha! Many thanks - I think!!

Just started trying to hone; all that bread-knifing has made a lot of work - and really it could do with a little more. There's quite a lot of old hone wear so I've put a layer of tape on it. It's too much for the 1500 diamond plate I normally use for bevel-setting so i am am soakingt he 800 King stone as I write this!

Ah! the woes of SRAD eh?!

Rgds

C.

Very nice clean up! Loved how the scales are brought to new life!

Very nice clean up! Loved how the scales are brought to new life!

Thank you.

Yes I really like those antique horn scales.

Sadly I cannot hone this razor; after hours of grinding away I can still see the edge... I fear it may have to join the others in the "failures" box, already rather well-poplulated. Compare this with the Baker razor I also did this week; that one works - and I bread-knifed that one too, I had to.

C.

Thank you.

Yes I really like those antique horn scales.

Sadly I cannot hone this razor; after hours of grinding away I can still see the edge... I fear it may have to join the others in the "failures" box, already rather well-poplulated. Compare this with the Baker razor I also did this week; that one works - and I bread-knifed that one too, I had to.

C.

Have you tried honing with a layer of tape?

If all else fails, I would send it off to one of our reputable guys to handle it. It's a beauty and should get the edge it deserves. Good luck!

Thanks.

Yes I started off with a layer of tape given the existing honing wear. I could see this was no good. so added another layer - still no good! The razor is flat and straight too.

Frankly I am baffled, especially given the success with the Baker razor. When I started, I couldn't hone anything; now I do not seem to have problems - in general at least.

Perhaps I will send it out; but I have plenty of razoirs and an interesting one coming so it's not a priority. Thanks for your interest.

Rgds.
C.

Went flea marketing this morning. Found five straights. All were clean and all were rust free.

One had been dropped when it was relatively new. The blade was really broken up but the engraving, gold wash, etc was beautiful. The scales were also damaged.

Three of the others, two 5/8s and one 4/8s, had significant hone wear and deep frowns. One of these was a Red Imp, I was tempted but the frown was deep, really deep.

The last was an unbranded Sheffield round point. Lots and lots of hone wear, and a minor frown, and some discoloration on the edge. It was a 5/8s and I decided it was not worth it.

Had fun! Going back next weekend to try again.

Thanks for your post. Ha ha! no I didn't and of course I see what you are getting at.

I did 85% of it by hand with grades of wet or dry paper up to 2000 grit. I have some lightweight polishing things - I don't know what to call them - they are like little scourers - that mount in my cheap Chinese Dremel copy. The blade was only very slightly warm to the touch - cooler than my shaving water!

I shall have another go tonight I think; I have a bottle of Côtes du Rhône to hand that will most likely help!

Rgds

C.

There are bevel calculator apps online you can use. I think one is called bevelcalc.xml And I used it in the past.

Yes - thanks - I'm a clot! I have that spread sheet and should have used it! It annoys me to find a good razor with so much honing wear; if only these people had used tape from the start! For example, this razor I ahve bought and am waiting for appears to have been looked after; I should stand a chance with this one!

View attachment 716664

Anyway, I think I have made a little progress so far with the W&B; three layers of tap and plenty of slurry on my 800 stone seems to be doing something - very gradually it must be said! Wine break right now!!

Best regds,

C.

Father in law got these for me in Montana. Said he spent less than $100 on all four. Would like a little more info on them, especially the Wade and Butcher blade.

$image1.jpg

$image2.jpg

$image3.jpg

$image4.jpg

$image5.jpg

Great finds! 4 for $100 you did well! The green one and the ivory one look like they have some geometry issues to me- toe wear and uneven hone wear. Are you going to hone them up yourself?

Hard to tell from the pictures but the Geneva and Clauss look like they are pretty honed out. Maybe go over to the restoration thread and have some experts give you some more advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom