What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

It didn't take much for [MENTION=85745]Polarbeard[/MENTION] to convince me I need one of these.
$s-l1600-6.jpg
Found one with some spine work and a squared toe!
[seller's pic]

It didn't take much for @Polarbeard to convince me I need one of these.
View attachment 717061
Found one with some spine work and a squared toe!
[seller's pic]
Believe me Larry, it's a really good razor and beautiful too. I put it before Dovo, Revisor and Wacker thumb notch razors when it comes to shaving capabilities and just a notch below the larger Thiers Issard razors. It is not quite as beautiful as the Wacker Chevalier, but that's just my opinion.
I've got the steel lined horn scales version. Those scales are frankly disturbingly heavy, your scales makes it better balanced. So all in all I am really happy that you finally got this very fine razor.

Great finds! 4 for $100 you did well! The green one and the ivory one look like they have some geometry issues to me- toe wear and uneven hone wear. Are you going to hone them up yourself?

Hard to tell from the pictures but the Geneva and Clauss look like they are pretty honed out. Maybe go over to the restoration thread and have some experts give you some more advice.

Hones up the Wade and Butcher today and it took a blade really well. Ground it on a 1000 grit and then finish on a 6000. I need to get a finer grit to finish it even better.

Just picked up this Baba 862 6/8 Japanese made Swedish Steel straight! After searching for a vintage razor to get into, I found this item on eBay. The seller was absolutely accommodating, and even though it wasn't advertised as NOS, it basically looks that way. Paid just over $100 for it, and to me, that's a steal!

$IMG_0548.jpg

Found this on the way home from work.

HMC Bossing 5/8s.

There's no pitting or on the blade. The color is far better in person than on my cell phone photo. There's a hint of rust at the pivot. My thumbnail took care of it. The blade is straight and the scales look to be in great shape.

I've found very little info on the razor. Aside from a few people liking the brand.

Does anyone have some experience with this one to share?

$HMC Bossing Razor 1.jpg

I have a 7/8 Dorko .It shaves great with a fair amount of audible feedback .It should be outstanding with a edge done by Alfredo .Enjoy your new treasures.I am curious on how the Cape Kennedy from Tanifugi shaves.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
From today's estate sale. A Sim-Mart from ERN. On of the many brand names used by C. Friedr. ERN. Almost passed on it until a saw the Crown and Sword.

$IMG_0432.jpg

$IMG_0433.jpg

$IMG_0434.jpg

$IMG_0435.jpg

I have a 7/8 Dorko .It shaves great with a fair amount of audible feedback .It should be outstanding with a edge done by Alfredo .Enjoy your new treasures.I am curious on how the Cape Kennedy from Tanifugi shaves.

Thank you... Alfredo is such a master of the hone, he really made these NOS finds even more special working his magic on the edges! Just used my first Japanese razor today, Alfredo's edge makes it a very comfortable shave, being smaller blade makes moving around nimbler but the balance and feel in the hand is very nice and its a pretty audible shave which is nice so I know its working! But that's an initial shave opinion..

I know nothing about Japanese razors (it looks great), but I know that the other two are top notch razors. Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words, the Tanifuji is my first Japanese razor, not an immaculate piece like the other 2 but a great sample of the craftsmanship.

Very nice, love the NOS smell.

Can't be more accurate there, love me the NOS smell and experience! Thanks!

Top Bottom