What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Hi fellas,

My Jerry Stark straight just arrived today and she is a beauty. Looking forward to shaving with her!!!!

proxy.php

Matt

Erik Anton Berg Swedish shoulderless razor.
Didn't I have enough of this type of razors? Madness! I'm really infatuated with these razors. I've sold, traded or given away many of them, but only those that I had at least two of. This is my collector's niche. I don't want to know how many I've got.

This specimen has two things that made me decide that I had to have it. First the etching it's in superb condition and I haven't seen exactly this version of etching before. Secondly this is a very early version having bone scales. I didn't have one with bone scales.

It has some minor rust around the pivot, but it won't be hard to get it back in very good condition.

The razor is originally sold by the catalogue same company Åhlén&Holm, a company that still is in business. You can see their crest etched twice with the cod/hallibut/herring/shark in the middle. Below it says "Skydds märke" (protective marking) meaning that this razor is unused. The etching on Swedish razors wasn't meant to last but to serve as a verification to the buyer that the razor was unused. Therefore if you buy a Swedish razor with etching be very careful not to wipe it off by accident.

View attachment 715878

View attachment 715877
Oooo! Very nice etching on that one!
I still think it looks like a sturgeon more than a shark.[emoji12]

I just managed to pick on up on the bay for under $20 shipped. Needs cleaned up and scales, but they are out there. I am sure you would like nothing more than another project for your bench! It took me awhile to find one that wasn't already done and really expensive though.

Thanks Arne for the daily history lesson! I'd love to have a Berg, but they seem hard to come by lately.

I just managed to pick on up on the bay for under $20 shipped. Needs cleaned up and scales, but they are out there. I am sure you would like nothing more than another project for your bench! It took me awhile to find one that wasn't already done and really expensive though.

Yeah, right, one more project! That's what I need!

Yesterday I posted the picture of this rusty specimen:

View attachment 716189

I have worked on the razor. It had a slight frown, so I had to do some vigorous "bread-knifing" It is not perfect, and much as i like the shape - a dreadnought - it is clearly not a high-class razor, the detailed finishing not being very good. So I have not worried too much about the pitting. Sadly I have cracked one of the scales; such a bore as I liked them. The razor has honed up nicely it seems; tomorrow we shall see. You will have noticed the odd pins. Removing pins is such a nightmare I leave the bottom ones alone. One pin is more than enough!

$Baker Done up.jpg

Rgds,

C.

Last edited:
Ulrik sent pictures of the new 8/8 full hollow square point. Paid extra for the upgraded shipping with tracking and a box! Cant wait for it to arrive, then off to Alfredo for ivory scales. I stopped posting in the SOTD thread because I have been stuck on Ulrik's 8/8 spike point full hollow Alfredo finished for me.

Attachments

• $IMG_2828.JPG
    $IMG_2828.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 83
  • $IMG_2829.JPG
    $IMG_2829.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 81
Ulrik sent pictures of the new 8/8 full hollow square point. Paid extra for the upgraded shipping with tracking and a box! Cant wait for it to arrive, then off to Alfredo for ivory scales. I stopped posting in the SOTD thread because I have been stuck on Ulrik's 8/8 spike point full hollow Alfredo finished for me.

Wow.

This arrived today thank you so much [MENTION=75043]Dcaddo111[/MENTION] for running the PIF. I will use it tomorrow morning.

proxy.php

What an amazing thing that is!

C.

I have just purchased this one. I have refined my SRAD to concentrate on shapes; I love the spine and toe on this one. "The Kettle Razor" by Joseph Haywood, Sheffield, 5/8. No "England" so presumably rather old.

(Seller's picture)
$The Kettle Razor.jpg

C.

Top Bottom