What's new

Storage wars.... soap edition

Found these handy and inexpensive containers at the Container Store. Good for smaller <3" diam. soap pucks. (VDH,Conk,Institut Karite fit these) Also good for grating samples.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10030953&N=&Ntt=Tins
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversPlastic?productId=10014891&N=74063

View attachment 225879

A couple of questions about the tins. What size did you get? Also are the lids a screw-on or a push-on type. Looks like push on. If that's the case, how tightly do they seal, and how easily do they come on and off?

I need to go to TJ Maxx. I bought my Pyrex bowls with the red lid at walmart 4 for $10. I need to get some blue ones and for $8 why not. These glass containers are great.

proxy.php

I've previously complained about these containers not being available in my local stores and the only place I've found them wanted AU$39.95 for a 4 pack.

My wife asked me to go shopping with her today at DFO (Outlet Store) here in Brisbane and the Corningware Outlet has a whole bunch of these 1 cup size bowls with (blue) lid priced at 3 for AU$9.99. So anyone in Brisbane looking for some can get them there.

I may go back tomorrow. It feels like Christmas. :santa:

I'm very happy , yet somewhat amazed that this thread still has some life left in it. Must have struck a chord. I now imagine Dens around the world filled with these little containers. I keep filling up more and more of mine stacked in neat little towers. They do the trick.

Just noticed this question-sorry for the delayed response. I picked up the 3" version. I don't have any pucks large enough to warrant the 4". The lids push on but do have a little bit of a seal. Seal is probably as good or better than the seal on wooden bowls, MWF ceramic etc. I could see the lid coming off if it was jostling around in a bag. If you want an absolutely airtight, secure seal for long-term storage, you probably want the screw on type like Pre de Provence soap comes in-you can purchase similar at West Coast Shaving, or New Direction Aromatics, however with shipping those are twice+ the cost of the Container Store tins.

A couple of questions about the tins. What size did you get? Also are the lids a screw-on or a push-on type. Looks like push on. If that's the case, how tightly do they seal, and how easily do they come on and off?

Do you melt the soaps or just drop the puck in?

Most pucks just drop in. Those that don't you just use a pocket knife, trim around the outside until it just fits in place then push the extra you cut around the perimeter. I just did several over the weekend and in minutes they fit just fine.
Some say use a grater etc. but why bother. The soaps are relatively soft and the extra just presses back into place. Use it once or twice and everything is back to being one big piece.

The wife bought these to store homemade dry rubs and to decant spice rubs for a couple bucks each from somewhere online. I saw one when we were grilling a couple of weeks ago (I'm just the heat applier), and asked her where she got it. There were about 10 left in her stash, so I lifted three, and will sneak out a couple more when the coast is clear. They work very much like the RazoRock Artisan jars, though they're very slightly smaller in diameter and very slightly taller. I like'em because there's enough room for me not to slop over the sides when I lather. As a reference, the RR XXX jar shown has the portion remaining in a tub just after I broke through to bottom plus a new tub in it.

$009.jpg$008.jpg

Last edited:
What are the dimensions on these? I've found about 5 places online where there are various sizes, just wondering what yours are for reference?

The wife bought these to store homemade dry rubs and to decant spice rubs for a couple bucks each from somewhere online. I saw one when we were grilling a couple of weeks ago (I'm just the heat applier), and asked her where she got it. There were about 10 left in her stash, so I lifted three, and will sneak out a couple more when the coast is clear. They work very much like the RazoRock Artisan jars, though they're very slightly smaller in diameter and very slightly taller. I like'em because there's enough room for me not to slop over the sides when I lather. As a reference, the RR XXX jar shown has the portion remaining in a tub just after I broke through to bottom plus a new tub in it.

View attachment 238105View attachment 238106

What are the dimensions on these? I've found about 5 places online where there are various sizes, just wondering what yours are for reference?

I thought I responded here this morning, but apparently never hit 'post'. I went to the boss to find out exactly, and got the link from Her, and it seems like I've seen their name mentioned here on B&B before. They are 3.375" [86mm] in diameter and 3.125" [79mm] tall. About a buck apiece, with another $0.50 in shipping (at least to Alabama) if you buy 20, according to Her.

Last edited:
I'm a candle maker and I'm cheap. The quilted 8oz wide mouth canning jars I use for jar candles are the perfect size for a puck of soap. The ones I have right now are made by Ball, but Kerr and Mason make something similar. The sides are quilted (3-D) so they're easy to grip and won't slip while I'm loading my brush with soap. When they're on sale I can usually buy them for about 8 or 10 bucks per dozen, and include the screw-on lids.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bumping this up, it's old but good information for anyone looking to store their soaps!

I love a nice wooden bowl as much as the next guy,, but with my growing collection and refills on hand ( cheaper) I found these perfectly sized pieces some time ago at the local TJ Maxx made by Anchor Hocking. As you can see a puck fits perfectly in them ( they're 3 1/2" X 1 1/2" ) . Then I just cut out the label and double side tape them to the lid. Or you could always just use a Sharpie to label the bowl lacking a label from a puck or stick you grate into the bowl. Plus they stack just great on a shelf. I use the soap, let it dry, lid it and place it on the bottom of the stack to complete my rotations. At $7.99 for a stack of 4 it's not too bad.
My wife actually listened to me about needing to get more,, and she picked up 8 more for me. Sweet!

Killer labels. I need to adopt this to my Grundtal containers!

Has anyone else made similar labels with paper and some kind of laminate to protect the paper from water?

Top Bottom