What's new

Storage Question

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I leave the blade in until I need to change the blade.

If the razor needs to be cleaned (in my opinion) I will clean it.

I'm probably an echo at this point. :)

Last edited:
...How do you store your razor and blade?...
I am responding to your question. This is not an advice, nor a tutorial.

This is what I do:
...I disassemble and clean my razor after each shave, then I gently clean and dry the blade and reassemble the blade in the razor, ready for the next use. I've found that simply rinsing will not always get all of the crud off the blade...

I don't care what the majority here thinks. But I listen. Sometimes it brings me laughter, sometimes a shrug or a shake.

...It seems kind of reckless to me to have a double edge razor blade laying around...
Living dangerously here. I also have knives, large kitchen knives, laying around. And much more. All sorts of inanimate things laying around and waiting for that opportune moment to strike. I also have two cats that, I swear, sometimes they do stuff on purpose to harm us.

I don't have kids running around in my house. A blade left on the bathroom counter is nothing reckless. But then, I was not born in NA.

I disassemble clean and dry the razor and blade after every shave. I have a couple of small magnets inside the medicine cabinet, at the back, out of the way, where I keep a blade or two.
^^ This ^^

Speaking of Bayonetta, I wouldn't want a brass razor to get that uber ugly water stain patina. If you dry the parts of the razor, the patina will develop much more evenly...

Just enjoy the ride, you do you!

I'm a noob to wet shaving. I jumped into the deep end and started shaving my face with a straight razor, but I'm also a head shaver. I'm not going to go at that with a straight razor - at least not at this point. So, I ordered a Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta double edge safety razor. I read somewhere that it's advisable to disassemble and clean the razor after each use and store with the blade removed. It seems kind of reckless to me to have a double edge razor blade laying around. How do you store your razor and blade?

First off, you're definitely a brave soul to start out with a straight right off the bat. Everyone has to start at the beginning and that is a bit ballsy. Took me a minute to acquire a straight to play with, my first was a shavette and then I scored an Artist Club (straight handle). My biggest gripe with the Artist Club is the handle material is hydrophilic, not hydrophobic and makes for an insecure, slick grip with anything other than dry hands. I'm also not enamored with the ergos of the handle: too round.

Like others have commented, I generally leave my blades in my razor after a thorough hot water rinse. Occasionally, I'll take an old toothbrush and some dish soap and scrub off the soap scum after the last shave with the loaded blade, toss the old blade in my makeshift blade bank (currently an 8 oz plastic screw top container that contained some hand cream.) Prior to my next shave I'll load my empty razor with a new blade. Simple, easy, no fuss no muss. My razor stays serviced and pretty clean and the blades aren't laying around.

I live alone, so for me, if I were to leave the blade out, wouldn't be such a big deal.

I came across the following. I think it may have been referenced in one of the posts here on B&B. Sorry I can't provide ascription.

The above seems like a rather simple and elegant solution to what you're asking. If you're creative and like working with your hands, you could handily come up with some sort of wooden arrangement that holds the blade with an inset flush mounted magnet for the blade, holds the razor elevated to dry and potentially holds your brush as well. It may be, though I don't recall this vendor may have such an interpretation of his own.

Happy hunting...

After each shave I disassemble the razor, remove the blade and wash both with water. Dry the shaver with a towel. I let the blade dry a little while I mark the paper with a ballpoint pen. I complete the drying of the blade with my fingers and put it back in the paper. I put the shaver back together. I take the photo. Post. And I look forward to the applause!

Cheers!
❤️🪒

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Razor gets cleaned when I change the blade. Blade stays in until changed.
This
There is no "rule" that says you need to remove the blade every shave, but you can if you wish. Use great care, it's easy to both cut yourself and to wreck the edge by touching something with it, which is why I don't usually bother taking it out.
and this
I don’t remove my blades between shaves. I just rinse razor with hot water, puff them dry, and spritz with rubbing alcohol to displace remaining water and speed up drying. Only when I change the blade do I perform a quick toothbrushing of the razor.

I may be wrong but constantly bending (inserting and removing) thin brittle blades might be a detriment to the edges’ longevity (i.e. the micro-cracks developed during normal shaving might be increased by needless blade bending).
and this
What Quaznoid said.

Just rinse it under the tap until you need to change the blade.

Maybe if you go a super long time with one blades like some of the members of B&B… dip the head in alcohol, like Ray said.

Disassembling a razor after every shave is unnecessary.
and this
I leave the blade in until I need to change the blade.

If the razor needs to be cleaned (in my opinion) I will clean it.

I'm probably an echo at this point. :)
and this
Like others have commented, I generally leave my blades in my razor after a thorough hot water rinse. Occasionally, I'll take an old toothbrush and some dish soap and scrub off the soap scum after the last shave with the loaded blade, toss the old blade in my makeshift blade bank (currently an 8 oz plastic screw top container that contained some hand cream.) Prior to my next shave I'll load my empty razor with a new blade. Simple, easy, no fuss no muss. My razor stays serviced and pretty clean and the blades aren't laying around.
and this

We recommend that you leave the blade in and loosen the handle a turn or so between shaves. This makes the head open up and lets the blade get some airflow so it's more likely to fully dry and not rust.
I agree. I do disassemble my razor and blade just to prevent rusting on the blade. Probably overkill. It's my OCD. :crazy:

I'm apparently going to disagree with the majority of respondents.
I disassemble and clean my razor after each shave, then I gently clean and dry the blade and reassemble the blade in the razor, ready for the next use. I've found that simply rinsing will not always get all of the crud off the blade,
That is good advice, especially in hard water areas. That soap scum turns into limescale in no time. I have got used to a daily cleaning routine.
My blades last anything from 1 -4 weeks so keeping that scum at bay needs a daily clean; you get used to it.
In soft water areas you can get away with much less cleaning. Bear in mind that shaving debris can stick to the back bevels of the blades depending on the lather and rinsing regime.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Another rinse it and leave it on the counter fan. When I change blades, I clean it off with a towel. We have hard limestone water. I kind of like it. It's easy to rinse.

We don't have hard water, so I only disassemble and clean at blade-changing time. Typically once a week.

The exception would be for a carbon steel blade, like a Treet. I rarely use those, however.

Personally I remove the blade after every shave, it's rinsed with water and pat down with a tissue to dry. The razor ( if zamak ) is rinsed with water and rubbed dry with a soft cloth, once in a while it's cleaned with a soft toothbrush. My razors made of SS, Ti and Brass are cleaned with a toothbrush after every shave. The reason I only clean the zamak razors with a toothbrush less is to try and preserve the coating longer.

I use the same method and it's the best :thumbup1:

Oh sorry. It doesn’t really matter that you leave the blade in. I’m just lazy and assume that most people are, too. So I recommend the lazy approach instead of the overachiever disassemble-everything approach because I think it’s more likely to be followed.
thanks for the clarification! good thinking

Top Bottom