What's new

Still having an issue with Williams shaving soap

Still having an issue with Williams shaving soap i've tried everything soaking it not soaking it boar and badger brushes Soaking the brush not soaking the brush I just can't seem to get a decent lather going in my vintage old spice mug. I've read the tutorial on this site. It still is watery and dries out on my face quickly. Before I give up on this soap, anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

Buy a bottle of glycerin (I found mine at CVS) and add a couple of drops to the puck before lathering. Another thing people do with a hard to lather soap is to put a little of one of your shaving creams on the puck, again, before trying to load your brush and building your lather.

Modern Williams is not an optimal product. Have you used something else that worked better for you? Your water may be hard which would compound the problem for you.

If you start with a product that is generally seen as "good" you can eliminate the pain you are going through now. Just toss it into the shower and move on.

Load it like you hate it. Get angry at it. I'm serious: load it up like you want to use it all up as quickly as possible.

Make sure your face is moisturized with pre-shave oil. If your skin is dried out or razor-burned it's going to suck all the moisture out of the Williams.

The Omega Syntex or a vintage Made Rite synthetic is the perfect brush for Williams. You want a scratchy brush so it will rough up the soap, and yet the synthetic fibers will not eat up the lather, which is what happens with boar brushes. The Omega S Brush might also be worth a try if you really are set on using Williams.

I let mine soak in a bowl of water overnight. in the morning it was much easier to lather. I still ended up with terrible razor burn but I still don't want to give up on this soap. a lot of people swear by it for a reason and I think its a matter of dialing in the correct amount of water/soap

I would never try to spoil anyone's fun...but if you have to do anything beside splash a little water on a soap to prep it- its a failure and a sub-par product in my book.
We have many super products to choose from, life is to short to use a crappy soap.

I would never try to spoil anyone's fun...but if you have to do anything beside splash a little water on a soap to prep it- its a failure and a sub-par product in my book.
We have many super products to choose from, life is to short to use a crappy soap.

+1 There are so many great products out there that I would not let a product get my frustration level up. There are plenty of guys that swear by Williams. If you don't get it where you want it, you could consider a trade or PIF it.

I've used WMS for a long time...many many years before I joined B&B and learned about real, quality soaps. I was happy with it then, but compared to my current soap lineup -- inlcluding Tabac and Cella -- it doesn't stack up...I know, it's an unfair comparison..those two lather effortlessly IME, and WMS takes a lot of work, and the results still don't satisfy.

That said, I will have a "Williams Wednesday" -- at least as long as the current puck lasts. I find it to be very slick and kind to my skin, and (unlike many) I like the fragrance...smells well, like soap.:001_rolle I am learning to tolerate the need to re-lather several times per pass, until I master it...

I keep mine in a covered container to retain residual moisture so it stays very hydrated. Since I use it only 1x/week, this is essential IMHO...I soaked/immersed it for 24 hours to start out, and now just re-cap it after each use, making sure it's still a little wet. I also use my most backboned-brush to make sure I can load aggressively, and add water (and product and water) generously throughout the lathering process (I face-lather)...a little work required!

WMS is a classic (especially, I understand, the "original" or "vintage" formulation), and many swear by it. (and many swear at it...). It's not bad enough for me to retire to the shower or trash. If it didn't seem like an "old friend" to me, I might not be so patient...at a buck a puck it's not a big investment to lose.

My $0.02...

Thanks for all of the advice lads. I do use other creams and do get a great shave. I think that for $1.00 , I can afford to deep six the Williams. I just wanted to make use of my mug with it. I use a shaving bowl for the creams. I'll try another softer soap down the road

Haven't used William's in years, but for a time it was my go-to soap. I always mug lathered it. That is to say, I just dropped the puck in the bottom of the mug and soaked the brush and soap in the mug while I showered. After the shower, pour off the water, shake out the brush a bit and have at it. Once I whipped up a suitable foundation I'd face lather the finish. Afterward, rinse the brush and put the mug with any remaining lather still in it back on the shelf. Worked properly, William's is a solid performer and about as cheap as you'll ever find. I miss the nostalgic smell too.

-Kesto

a quote from an earlier post, followed by my reply:

"I keep mine in a covered container to retain residual moisture so it stays very hydrated. Since I use it only 1x/week, this is essential IMHO...I soaked/immersed it for 24 hours to start out, and now just re-cap it after each use, making sure it's still a little wet. I also use my most backboned-brush to make sure I can load aggressively, and add water (and product and water) generously throughout the lathering process (I face-lather)...a little work required!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that this is simply too difficult for my taste. If I put this much effort into it, DAWN dishwashing liquid would work to shave with. I certainly don't wish to be offensive, but I am presented with such an embarrasing wealth of good choices regarding shaving soap that William's mug soap is lower on my list than aerosol shave cream.
Give me a choice between William's mug soap and Proraso aerosol -- I'd call it a toss up. My two cents.
:euro:

No effort at all. Soak my brush in the vintage bi-centennial Mug pour out the water, load the brush and face lather. Mounds of beautiful lather for a 4 pass shave. No need to touch up the soap before each pass is done. Rinse my face between passes and do it again. Put the uncovered Mug back in the cabinet and bring it out next time I want it. YMMV. It is in my top 5 soaps with MWF, L'Occitane, PdP, and DR Harris.

a quote from an earlier post, followed by my reply:

"I keep mine in a covered container to retain residual moisture so it stays very hydrated. Since I use it only 1x/week, this is essential IMHO...I soaked/immersed it for 24 hours to start out, and now just re-cap it after each use, making sure it's still a little wet. I also use my most backboned-brush to make sure I can load aggressively, and add water (and product and water) generously throughout the lathering process (I face-lather)...a little work required!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that this is simply too difficult for my taste. If I put this much effort into it, DAWN dishwashing liquid would work to shave with. I certainly don't wish to be offensive, but I am presented with such an embarrasing wealth of good choices regarding shaving soap that William's mug soap is lower on my list than aerosol shave cream.
Give me a choice between William's mug soap and Proraso aerosol -- I'd call it a toss up. My two cents.
:euro:
Good points.

Although...other than the "...soaked/immersed it for 24 hours to start out..." (a one-time treatment recommended by someone on the WISE subforum for a puck of well-known thirstiness that may have dried out), my lathering routine really isn't any different from any of my other soaps.

That said, while my lathering techniques for WMS aren't markedly different, I have to agree/admit that I can't get WMS to lather like my best soaps (Tabac and Cella).

But...not going to canned goo...ever!

If you have problems with Williams, don't buy Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I don't find this to be true. Williams was relegated to shower duty in my house, while I can get great lather from the Fat. It may take a little bit of coaxing compared to some of my other soaps, but the Fat is still far superior and not comparable to Williams IMHO.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can as easily get a great lather from Williams as I can MWF.
I'm not saying I don't like MWF, I'm saying I like both.
I find their characteristics to be extremely similar.
But that's me.

YMMV

I actually bought a few extra Williams pucks and put them away for long term storage. I love the smell and I find it slick enough to use with a mild shaver. But if all you have used is creams, you are going to find it frustrating.

Top Bottom