What's new

Stainless Steel / Titanium Yaqi head comparable with R41

Hi good people,

Keeping my question as simple as possible. I shave every 2nd day and use the R41. It gives me an excellent shave, its smooth and efficient; giving me a BBS every time with no burns or nicks.
Which Yaqi head (specifically stainless steel or titanium) is similar to an R41 in giving a closest BBS shave.

Thanks!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
None, they don't have a R41 or anything close to it.

But the DSCosmetic Z0 is a straight R41 copy in stainless steel. And it is a very good copy, it's basically a R41. They are also from China/Aliexpress, so you might have thought of them.

The other thing is, the R41 in stainless steel is also available from Mühle directly.

None, they don't have a R41 or anything close to it.

But the DSCosmetic Z0 is a straight R41 copy in stainless steel. And it is a very good copy, it's basically a R41. They are also from China/Aliexpress, so you might have thought of them.

The other thing is, the R41 in stainless steel is also available from Mühle directly.
Thanks so much. The R41 GS is a completely different geometry when compared to a normal R41. I really didnt enjoy it. However I will check the DScosmetic offering. Which is yout favorite yaqi head and why (SS only).

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thanks so much. The R41 GS is a completely different geometry when compared to a normal R41. I really didnt enjoy it. However I will check the DScosmetic offering. Which is yout favorite yaqi head and why (SS only).
You might also like the quite aggressive Yaqi Harlequin, it is one of my favorites as it gives a very close shave. It is based on a Gillette head.

Since new R41 heads are available for under $25 as a replacement part, I decided zamak was not such a bad thing. I think the newer ones have a brass screw post. Even if they don't last forever, they last for years. I like the way the original shaves, too.
I think it was supposed to be the R89-style top cap, but not necessarily the R41 top cap as well.
Having said that, it would make sense for both of them to be using the same threads.

I think it was supposed to be the R89-style top cap, but not necessarily the R41 top cap as well.
Having said that, it would make sense for both of them to be using the same threads.

I got both R41 and R89 heads as replacement parts since I already had some spare handles. The caps look similar, but I think the R41 cap is just a little thinner. The screw posts are a separate piece that is joined to the cap. So far, so good.

Thanks so much. The R41 GS is a completely different geometry when compared to a normal R41.
Interesting. I have the stainless steel R41, and I used to have a cast metal R41. When using equivalent handles I couldn't tell them apart, shave-wise. I paired my stainless steel R41 head with Mühle's tortoiseshell handle; this works really well for me.

Which Yaqi head (specifically stainless steel or titanium) is similar to an R41 in giving a closest BBS shave.
I don't have the R41 but have the DS cosmetics Z0 that @Iridian mentioned in stainless. The closest feeling for me in the Yaqi line is the Sentinel 1.5 open comb in stainless. That's with the new thin cap that comes with it, similar blade chatter to Z0 and as close if not closer. I think the Sentinel is smoother, but I also prefer using a thicker cap from the earlier production Sentinel's. Thicker cap clamps better and eliminates the chatter.
I think Yaqi only makes 1 razor model line in titanium, the new Ghost which has a Yates copied handle. Haven't seen any reviews on it, but they just released the stainless head only versions in a .70 and .90mm. Also a Ti dual comb in .90mm with different handle patterns.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have tried some aggressive Yaqi razors like the knights helmet & Yaqi top aggressive slant and they have more blade exposure than the newer R41 and they will bite you quickly if your technique is off.( I prefer the Yaqi Top aggressive over the Knights helmet but they are Zamak heads and you looking for Stainless.
A nice Yaqi SS mid range that offers a nice shave is the Yaqi Melon 316 SSP dual comb head. It will give a person a nice shave but will bite if you get to careless and one of my favorite SS razors to work my face.(its more a mid range.)
Yaqi Mellon head Stainless steel head. (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I think after all my research these are the four SS options which Yaqi has (and are supposed to be aggressive)
1) Yaqi sentinel 1.5OC
2) Yaqi Harlequin
3) Yaqi Duomo
4) Yaqi ghost 90 SB
Can you please help me decide which 2 should i pick?

Thanks!

Also which SS handle should i go for. I dont like long handles though. The longest handle I have is the R41. Other razors that I have are Fatip (slant and OC), pearl flexi, Merkur 37C, Parker 94 R.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For stainless handles, RazoRock makes some great ones. Their Barberpole, HD, and Rocket are some of my favorites. The Super Knurl would be, but it’s a few millimeters too much. Haven’t tried their classic handles, but have read great things.

If you like heavy handles, another choice is the Maggards MR-3. It’s short and dense.

If you like light handles, buying a Filament or Monster series slant from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements is hard to beat. But if you still wanted your light handle to be steel or better or you wanted to beat or never do business with PAA, there’s always the inimitable @Rosseforp

By a "normal" R41 you probably mean the current R41 ZAMAK head.
Interesting. I have the stainless steel R41, and I used to have a cast metal R41. When using equivalent handles I couldn't tell them apart, shave-wise. I paired my stainless steel R41 head with Mühle's tortoiseshell handle; this works really well for me.
@StewB when was your ZAMAK R41 head bought?

I got 10-12 days ago a brand new R41GS and it is not like the latest milder ZAMAK head they started selling in the last 3-4 years. It is more aggressive with bigger exposure, like the R41 2013. Will post a thread with measurements soon.

@ivan_101 don't know. I wasn't the original owner. I bought the cast metal R41 from a B&B member in August 2022, and I bought the stainless steel R41 from another B&B member in September 2022.

@ivan_101 don't know. I wasn't the original owner. I bought the cast metal R41 from a B&B member in August 2022, and I bought the stainless steel R41 from another B&B member in September 2022.
So it is possible your ZAMAK head is the old 2013 more aggressive one, and logically there is no difference in closeness with the R41GS. The ZAMAK head change is sometime in late 2019 or early 2020.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think after all my research these are the four SS options which Yaqi has (and are supposed to be aggressive)
1) Yaqi sentinel 1.5OC
2) Yaqi Harlequin
These are the two I like using myself, so my vote goes to them. I am interested in the Duomo, but there are no reports about it yet, some speculation but nobody really knows if it is aggressive, mild, weird, whatever.

@Ron R mentioned the Mellon SS, I also like this one, but it is far, far milder than a R41, so I excluded it as suggestion.

P.S. I wonder a bit that the DSCosmetic Z0 isn't on the list. It is way closer to the R41 than the other razors mentioned.
P.P.S. very good handles:
1. Timeless Ti Crown
2. Alpha Shaving Viper handle

1) Yaqi sentinel 1.5OC
2) Yaqi Harlequin
3) Yaqi Duomo
4) Yaqi ghost 90 SB
Can you please help me decide which 2 should i pick?

Thanks!
The Yaqi Ghost is in the mild feeling but fairly efficient category, not in the 2013 R41 ballpark.

I haven't tried the Duomo (baseplate a bit too chunky) or the Sentinel 1.5 OC (should be able to later this week)
However, I do have the Harlequin and I think it's very nice. Positive exposure, clamps the blade really well. It's not particularly aggressive, but it is... assertive. You'll feel the blade, and you'll slice something off if you aren't careful, but it's such a smooth shaver that you'll hardly feel it.

P.S. I wonder a bit that the DSCosmetic Z0 isn't on the list. It is way closer to the R41 than the other razors mentioned.
I am trying to get hold of this, but I live in India and aliexpress doesnt work here. Tried reaching out to the seller on ebay for this- but havent heard from him. Is there a way I can get the contact details of DS cosmetics, I can then email/message them and see if this can be arranged

For stainless handles, RazoRock makes some great ones. Their Barberpole, HD, and Rocket are some of my favorites. The Super Knurl would be, but it’s a few millimeters too much. Haven’t tried their classic handles, but have read great things.

If you like heavy handles, another choice is the Maggards MR-3. It’s short and dense.

If you like light handles, buying a Filament or Monster series slant from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements is hard to beat. But if you still wanted your light handle to be steel or better or you wanted to beat or never do business with PAA, there’s always the inimitable @Rosseforp
Will these handles be compatible with Yaqi heads?

Top Bottom