What's new

Squibbs Beard Tamer?

I have an opportunity to purchase this brush. I'm considering getting it and doing a Reknot. I see that @Rayotech has one and it looks great. The brush is very appealing.

I've looked around and can't find much about the company that made it.

Does anyone have any ideas about this brush or the manufacturer?

Dirty
IMG_8846.JPG

Well I picked this up and, after doing some cleaning, I've decided I'd like to redo the embossed script before I put in a new knot.

I'm thinking maybe some testers model paint (white). Put it on sparingly with a small brush or tooth pick, let it set for a minute and try to wipe off the excess. Let it dry thoroughly and then maybe some 0000 steel will followed by polishing cloth. I've already used the cloth and it really brings out a nice sheen.

Someone mentioned they use headlight cleaner/coating which I happen to have.

Any thought? Advice?

Dirty

Well I picked this up and, after doing some cleaning, I've decided I'd like to redo the embossed script before I put in a new knot.

I'm thinking maybe some testers model paint (white). Put it on sparingly with a small brush or tooth pick, let it set for a minute and try to wipe off the excess. Let it dry thoroughly and then maybe some 0000 steel will followed by polishing cloth. I've already used the cloth and it really brings out a nice sheen.

Someone mentioned they use headlight cleaner/coating which I happen to have.

Any thought? Advice?

Dirty
I would clean and polish the brush prior to painting the lettering. Polishing may remove part of what you paint.

Well it was a little work but well worth the effort. I laid in a few coats of white model paint to bring out the script and then buffed with some 0000 steel wool and polished with a polishing cloth.

Next I installed a Boti 22mm SHD pure badger knot. This is my 3rd reknit and this one was a little difficult but I'm stateside with the results.

Some how, my new 30's New Bostonian set photo bombed the show. Oh well.
IMG_8933.jpeg
IMG_8936.JPG

Thanks Big Jim,

I finally used it and it changed my expectations of what a shaving brush is. This thing is huge! I'd stop before calling it a mop but not by much. I have re-knotted two brushes previously and they were both 21/22mm but they ended up being much smaller once "bloomed".
This one just seems to be out of proportion with the size of the handle.

Note to self: pay attention to the dimensions listed on the replacement knot and manage expectations.

Then again, I think I'll look at it as a good experience and now I get to learn about using a larger brush.

Happy New Year All!

Still Dirty

Pic is "after blooming".
IMG_8959.JPG

I still think it looks very nice. I often use larger knots when reknotting. I'll admit that sometimes they look a little out of proportion, but most of the time they just look better.

Top Bottom