What's new

SOTD Tabula Gratulatoria - May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am continually amazed at the quality and clarity of the photographic work on display here. If its not too much to ask, would any of the photographers, (Henry? Marco? Oversaturn?) disclose, divulge, reveal some of your techniques/secrets. Camera/Lens/Lighting. I have a basic digital Leica SLR, its a lovely camera, but I can not get the kinds of closeups the masters display above.

Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: 26mm Simpson "Chubby 2" Super Badger
Razor: 7/8" Iwasaki 2-Chou Gake (w/ waxed cotton handles)
Strop: 35/40 laps (Torolf linen / SRD Premium IV leather)
Überlather: eShave "Almond" Shave Creme + D.R. Harris "Arlington" Shave Soap + Glycerin
Toner: Thayer's Witch Hazel (Rose Petal, no alcohol)
Moisturizer: D.R. Harris "Arlington" Milk
After Shave Splash: D.R. Harris "Arlington" AS
Cologne: D.R. Harris "Arlington" EdC
Results: Hadn't shaved with a Kamisori in a loooong time. This is partly because it unconsciously scares me, even though I have shaved with Kamisoris several times already and. But, I was confident enough in my skills with this unusual piece of steel that I mustered up the courage to give it a go...And what a rewarding experience it was
proxy.php
. BBS and irritation-free in 3 passes.

proxy.php

Have an FANTASTIC Monday gentlemen
proxy.php
Spectacular! :thumbup1:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I too am continually amazed at the quality and clarity of the photographic work on display here. If its not too much to ask, would any of the photographers, (Henry? Marco? Oversaturn?) disclose, divulge, reveal some of your techniques/secrets. Camera/Lens/Lighting. I have a basic digital Leica SLR, its a lovely camera, but I can not get the kinds of closeups the masters display above.

Joe, first of all, I'm not an expert photographer and certainly not at the level of our Masters (Henry, Robert, Luis, Emanuel just to name a few), so take my hints as those of an amateur. If you have a reflex camera you need specific close-up lenses and I think they are quite expensive. If you have a compact "bridge" camera as I do, you can get wonderful close-up shots simply selecting the close-up mode (the flower) on your camera. No real secret, just try and make your first shots. You will quickly improve and enjoy your creations, my friend.

Muhle R89
Feather
Edwin Jagger Medium Silver Tip
Floris JF Soap
Alum Block
Paco Rabane XS Aftershave
C&E West Indian Lime Cologne

proxy.php

proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-05-23

Razor: 7/8" Iwasaki 2-Chou Gake (w/ waxed cotton handles)
Strop: 35/40 laps (Torolf linen / SRD Premium IV leather)
Überlather: eShave "Almond" Shave Creme + D.R. Harris "Arlington" Shave Soap + Glycerin
Moisturizer: D.R. Harris "Arlington" Milk
After Shave Splash: D.R. Harris "Arlington" AS
Cologne: D.R. Harris "Arlington" EdC
Results: Hadn't shaved with a Kamisori in a loooong time. This is partly because it unconsciously scares me, even though I have shaved with Kamisoris several times already and. But, I was confident enough in my skills with this unusual piece of steel that I mustered up the courage to give it a go...And what a rewarding experience it was
proxy.php
. BBS and irritation-free in 3 passes.

proxy.php

Have an FANTASTIC Monday gentlemen
proxy.php

Merkur Vintage
with red Personna (4)
25er Bock Silvertip
Proraso SS
Shypr After Shave

Havbe a nice day! :001_smile

proxy.php

Hardware: Rooney Heritage 1XL and EJ 89L (Astra)
Software: PdP, L'Occitane balm

View attachment 164798

Outstanding!

Muhle R89
Feather
Edwin Jagger Medium Silver Tip
Floris JF Soap
Alum Block
Paco Rabane XS Aftershave
C&E West Indian Lime Cologne

proxy.php

Very nice, indeed :w00t: :thumbup:
Love the pattern on the handle.

Awesome shot :ouch1: (as always :biggrin1:)

Tuesday, May 24th 2011

EJ Chatsworth + Derby (2)
New Forest Chunky 2band
Klar Kabinett
Thayer's Rose
Swiss Pitralon ASL

proxy.php

Very cool effect :thumbup:

Pre de Provence // Sub Cero // Shavemac D01 Two Bands // Thayers // Alt Insbruck

proxy.php

Luis; What is there to say, you just keep showing one beautiful photo after the other :ouch1: :thumbup:

Luis; ¿Qué se puede decir, que acaba de seguir mostrando una hermosa foto tras otra :ouch1: :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Brush: Plisson #16 High Mountain White
Razor: Joe Chandler Custom, 6/8 Spanish point, horn scales
Strop: Kanayama #90000, tri strop
Soap/Cream: Martin de Candre
Astringent: Thayers Medicated SuperHazel
After shave Balm: MdC, Chopra Oil
EdT: Martin de Candre, Eau de Candre, Lavande
Results: Another great shave. I figured since the JC from yesterday was such a great shave, I wanted to compare this smaller one to it. It is every bit as good:)

View attachment 164926

MAXIMUM SHAVE

M&M Razor (see Results): 15/16" Max Sprecher, 1/4 Hollow, French Point (w/ M3 Makume Gane + B&W Recon Stone wedge)
Strop: (no need) 0/0 laps (Torolf linen / SRD Premium IV leather)
Überlather: Acca Kappa "1869" Shave Creme + Acca Kappa "1869" Shave Soap + Glycerin
Moisturizer: Trumper's Fragrance-free Moisturizer
After Shave Splash: Foïd Italian Blue AS
Cologne: Creed "Green Irish Tweed" EdC
Results: An early AM shave today for me. I received my M&M (i.e., Maxtom Maxterpiece) yesterday and had to use it today
proxy.php
(but there was a time where internet connectivity was casting serious doubts on my ability to post anything about it today...it's fixed, for now at least). The pictures of this blade really don't do her justice. She's a true beauty queen
proxy.php
. I posted more pictures HERE. So, now I am an official member of the MRC (Maxtom Razor Club)
proxy.php
. Onto the shave. I opted for a luxurious experience with this work of art, so for lather I used the Acca Kappa combination and for brush I used the Simpson since it's one of Max' favorite brushes
proxy.php
. Aside from looking marvelous, the M&M has one of the sharpest and smoothest edges my face has experienced (EVER!!!!). Wowwwwww
proxy.php
!!!!! The size is perfect (for me)...It's like Max took a hand print from me and designed the whole thing around it. Simply fantastic. She handles like a Ferrari, but has the luxurious feel of a Rolls Royce. I didn't feel a thing while shaving
proxy.php
. I literally had to run my fingers across my face to make sure I had shaved. Max: rest easy...you did wonders with my M&M. Thank you
proxy.php
. I am one happy customer
proxy.php

proxy.php

Have a AWESOME Tuesday gentlemen
proxy.php
. I know I will.

Tuesday, May 24th 2011

EJ Chatsworth + Derby (2)
New Forest Chunky 2band
Klar Kabinett
Thayer's Rose
Swiss Pitralon ASL

proxy.php

Pre de Provence // Sub Cero // Shavemac D01 Two Bands // Thayers // Alt Insbruck

proxy.php

Tuesday

Brush cup
No Name Cream Butterscotch Silvertip
Ball Ended Gillette Tech with Lord Super Stainless

Lea Shave Stick
Cold water

Have a nice day, Gentlemen :001_smile

proxy.php

Tuesday: Merkur Futur/ Gillette Super Silver,Vulfix Original 2236(Super), Mitchells Woolfat,L´Oreal men facewash,Floid Mentholado aftershave, Nivea moisturiser

proxy.php

Razor:Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Ambrose corto Spanish Horse(20/50)
Brush: Omega 10098
Lather: P160 duro
AS: Alt Innsbruck
Picture:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great shots all around today everyone! :thumbup1:

proxy.php

All wonderful close-ups, Gentlemen! :wink2:

Joe, first of all, I'm not an expert photographer and certainly not at the level of our Masters (Henry, Robert, Luis, Emanuel just to name a few), so take my hints as those of an amateur. If you have a reflex camera you need specific close-up lenses and I think they are quite expensive. If you have a compact "bridge" camera as I do, you can get wonderful close-up shots simply selecting the close-up mode (the flower) on your camera. No real secret, just try and make your first shots. You will quickly improve and enjoy your creations, my friend.

What he said. :thumbup1:
I don't have a reflex camera, just a good 6-year old "bridge" Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 - quite a good bridge camera, in it's time, with Leica lenses. I use natural light whenever I can (I don't like to use the flash on this cameras :tongue_sm) - so, the moment of the day and the location is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom