What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

09 Menghai Ba Da Gao Shan

horrid just horrid :nonod:

I need to try this old thing with some non-office water! It sounds as if I shouldn't get too excited.

The price on that cake (even on Taobao) is bizarrely high. It must be the "organic" label, for luring in the suckers.

SotD: my old friend, the 2006 XSX "Yiwu Zhengshan". The cake and I have changed to such a degree that it seems to taste entirely of plantation. It has tons of back-end, which is good for a cake its price - and therein lies the key. After finding this for sale on Taobao last year for our B&B Group Buy at a medium-low price, I since found it (and ordered it) from another vendor for a tiny RMB 75 ($11). So, yes, this cake isn't the best pu'er ever made, but it has to be judged in the $10 bracket. For that money, it's one of the best of its class, I think. (Bear in mind that the $11 gets you a four-year-old cake, too.)

I'll find the vendor link for you when I'm back at home with my bookmarks available.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I need to try this old thing with some non-office water! It sounds as if I shouldn't get too excited.

The price on that cake (even on Taobao) is bizarrely high. It must be the "organic" label, for luring in the suckers.

SotD: my old friend, the 2006 XSX "Yiwu Zhengshan". The cake and I have changed to such a degree that it seems to taste entirely of plantation. It has tons of back-end, which is good for a cake its price - and therein lies the key. After finding this for sale on Taobao last year for our B&B Group Buy at a medium-low price, I since found it (and ordered it) from another vendor for a tiny RMB 75 ($11). So, yes, this cake isn't the best pu'er ever made, but it has to be judged in the $10 bracket. For that money, it's one of the best of its class, I think. (Bear in mind that the $11 gets you a four-year-old cake, too.)

I'll find the vendor link for you when I'm back at home with my bookmarks available.

https

https

https

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Some way beautiful leaves IMHO.

xiaguan imperial tribute, think i'll have to pass on buying this cake.

Before you give up on that one, try to use less leaf, not break it up at all, and shoot for instantaneous brews for the first half dozen infusions. There's a lot in there once you nail it.

:thumbup1:

Used less leaf and overall shorter infusion times. You were right, it does work out nicely.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It was 90 degrees yesterday, so I broke out the Duling Fengsao. I feel as if I'm in a Crazy Eddie Christmas in July commercial.

ouch

2008 Muhammad Dali tou.

Doesn't get as much press as some of the other tuos, but I like it every time I try it.

Savoring my sample before the arrival of my cake. I've heard from another source that the material may be Lao Man'E, which technically is still within the Bu Lang mountain range. Extremely delicious, and probably one of my favorite teas at this age...

and as for that tea Hobbes mentioned earlier, I believe this is it

in my countless hours of trolling through the depths of Tao Bao I saw this little number, and remembered the Half Dipper/MarshalN articles on it.

Savoring my sample before the arrival of my cake. I've heard from another source that the material may be Lao Man'E, which technically is still within the Bu Lang mountain range.

I can believe that, as you can still feel the fierce intensity of its youth. I think it still has some way to go before reaching its peak.

No idea I owned this stuff, found it way at the back of one of the tea stashes. I think it was Salsero who passed me this sample but that's just me doing detective work on the handwriting.

At first I thought it must be shu and mislabeled as the leaves are so dark, but as soon as the water hit it's obviously decent sheng.

I like this stuff but part of that may be my treating it with suspicion at first and thinking it was shu, I'm only a few infusions in. Doesn't seem to be available at Yunnan Sourcing anymore either - I think this sample has been around for a few years. Going by the other stuff from Luxi I'm thinking this was probably pretty cheap.

Anyway, today I am a pleasantly surprised happy sheng drinker. Any opinion on Luxi stuff? I've never paid them any attention before.

ouch

2008 Douji no-name brick, from Puerh Shop via Korea and Sheboygan.

I'll miss this when it's gone. Only about 1/2 a brick remains. If every sheng I ordered blind were this good, I'd be a happy camper.

I can't remember coming across Luxi pu'er before - it sounds good!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Didn't Nong Cha in Brussels carry a couple cakes from Lu Xi City Ecological Tea Limited Company? Does that qualify as Luxi tea :biggrin:?

Edit:

SOTD:

2005 HLH Lincang Impression cake. This is my second session with this cake. The second time around was better than the first. I look forward to visiting this one again. Thanks appears to be a huge fan of this one! If things continue this way, I may join his club :biggrin:!

Last edited:
Still drinking the 2006 Luxi Wild Tree Floral, I'm taking a shine to this one - pity I've only got one session left. It tastes like it has been around longer than 2006, If I do come across more it'd be for drinking now as opposed to storage.

I've got two cakes on the way from Jing Tea Shop which seemed too cheap not to add to my 2010 green tea basket. Whilst I wait has anyone tried them? I can't find much about them online.

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-puerh-tea-xb-bulang-08.cfm

and

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea-shop-puerh-nj05.cfm

Top Bottom