What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

dont know what it is (besides being a lose pu'erh) but its really good

8-9th infusion
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

and again sorry for the bad pics since im flying blind with this camera.

I've got two cakes on the way from Jing Tea Shop which seemed too cheap not to add to my 2010 green tea basket. Whilst I wait has anyone tried them? I can't find much about them online.

Whatever happened to Jing? They used to sell plenty of great pu'er! Their operation seems to have scaled down significantly (in pu'er, at least) over the last few years.

I've not tried the two that you mention - tell us what you think :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Whatever happened to Jing? They used to sell plenty of great pu'er! Their operation seems to have scaled down significantly (in pu'er, at least) over the last few years.

I've not tried the two that you mention - tell us what you think :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Agreed! Do tell how they go. They are affordable!

Maybe it is just me but I am fine with vendor keeping a limited but quality inventory of puerh for customers to enjoy :biggrin:!

From The Mandarins Tea Room. What an impressive tea, too much complexity to even comprehend after only one session with it. Woodsy is an understatement, old faded camphor that's transformed into a gentle mintiness. Sometimes leathery and floral, sometimes wood and citrus. There are all kinds of flavors and aromas going on here. This is by far the most durable tea Ive ever had. The pic of the cup of tea is on the 10th or 11th infusion (can't remember right now) Easily 15-18 infusions.
View attachment 98371

View attachment 98372

Last edited:
Agreed! Do tell how they go. They are affordable!

Maybe it is just me but I am fine with vendor keeping a limited but quality inventory of puerh for customers to enjoy :biggrin:!

I will do but I wouldn't put too much value on my opinion, I've been drinking sheng for about 4 years but my consumption and range of tasting is fairly minimal and often more curiosities than classics. I'm in no position to say "that's definitely bulang" or whatever.

I don't recall Seb & Jing ever having that big a selection of pu. Usually just a few decent examples or sheng/shu, new/old. No Yunnan Sourcing style inventories.

From The Mandarins Tea Room. What an impressive tea, too much complexity to even comprehend after only one session with it. Woodsy is an understatement, old faded camphor that's transformed into a gentle mintiness. Sometimes leathery and floral, sometimes wood and citrus. There are all kinds of flavors and aromas going on here. This is by far the most durable tea Ive ever had. The pic of the cup of tea is on the 10th or 11th infusion (can't remember right now) Easily 15-18 infusions.

I just noticed Toki selling online a day or two ago. He's just made a high entry in the vendors I need to try list. Is that one of the teas with the fabled talc/old ladies dressing room notes?

I will do but I wouldn't put too much value on my opinion, I've been drinking sheng for about 4 years but my consumption and range of tasting is fairly minimal and often more curiosities than classics. I'm in no position to say "that's definitely bulang" or whatever.

I don't recall Seb & Jing ever having that big a selection of pu. Usually just a few decent examples or sheng/shu, new/old. No Yunnan Sourcing style inventories.

I just noticed Toki selling online a day or two ago. He's just made a high entry in the vendors I need to try list. Is that one of the teas with the fabled talc/old ladies dressing room notes?

Yeah, what he is offering is "The cream of the crop" in a given category. I had tried Nada's 1996 8582 before and it was pretty good, but not in the same league as this one. Wish I could afford to buy this stuff in qty.

Last edited:

I believe those are in reference to old tress from Nannuo.

Toki selling tea is fairly exciting. I wish my wallet was just a little bigger to accommodate the offerings.

Toki selling tea is fairly exciting. I wish my wallet was just a little bigger to accommodate the offerings.

I thinks it's just plain mean of him to start selling old oolong and pu'er in the midst of green tea season. Chinese greens are on the way, Japanese will be ordered soon. I really don't need this extra stress. It's a tough life.

I thinks it's just plain mean of him to start selling old oolong and pu'er in the midst of green tea season. Chinese greens are on the way, Japanese will be ordered soon. I really don't need this extra stress. It's a tough life.

Well said, Proinsias! The scene is green, but I know that he who hesitates is lost. :) In 2035, I'll be somewhat older than dirt. BTW, a 5g bit of aged sheng is good for what size brewing vessel? 90ml? 100ml? Sad close: today I discovered my peach and bat gaiwan cracked! :-( Given the symbolism, I hope it's not too portentous. ~grasshopper [drinking '05 Li Ji sheng]

No one's posted in here in 2 days!

2009 Douji "You Le Wild Arbor

Tasty stuff (7g for 100ml gaiwan is WAAAAYYYY tooo much)

Well said, Proinsias! The scene is green, but I know that he who hesitates is lost. :) In 2035, I'll be somewhat older than dirt. BTW, a 5g bit of aged sheng is good for what size brewing vessel? 90ml? 100ml? Sad close: today I discovered my peach and bat gaiwan cracked! :-( Given the symbolism, I hope it's not too portentous. ~grasshopper [drinking '05 Li Ji sheng]

I've found that he who does not hesitate can get into trouble, I'm aiming for a little nicely aged sheng and a nicely aged marriage in 2035.

No sheng today, it's sunny in Scotland and I've got fresh green. The sheng can wait, I hear it's good at that sort of thing.

[Proinsias] I've found that he who does not hesitate can get into trouble,

[grasshopper] As Housman says, "Touble's sure, but luck's a chance." So exercize caution in a grand and unhesitant way. I've learned the sheng I want to buy often disappears--poof! If I dither, I lose.

[Proinsias] I'm aiming for a little nicely aged sheng and a nicely aged marriage in 2035.

[grasshopper] I wish you the best in both. I hope in 2035 you'll tell me (likely shouting into my earhorn) how Scotland worked out in sheng maturation. I'm certain marriages age well there.

[Proinsias] No sheng today, it's sunny in Scotland and I've got fresh green. The sheng can wait, I hear it's good at that sort of thing.

[grasshopper] Sheng has more patience than grasshopper has. Tonight I'm drinking some old loose border sheng. It seems okay, but not as good as I remember. I think I might have several types from more than one purchase.

proxy.php

SotD: 2009 Xizihao "Jingmai". Nutty like Jingmai, and marvellously green. Empty in the middle, receding into plain tartness after seven infusions. Good at $50, not so good at the $100 asking price. Next!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Enjoyed my first cup in what seems like a week. :mad3:

2009 7542. Good choice.
Lack of sheng has left me in a depressed mood.

Had some 2009 7542 today myself. Wonderful stuff. Went to order some more for the store and my prices have doubled... feeling depressed a bit. The 2010 prices seem to be affecting the 2009 prices now.

proxy.php

SotD: the 2009 Zhimingdu series of xiaobing, today's being the "Laobanzhang". Nice, as tasters go, with some LBZ that gets muddied by other components. Courtesy of China Chadao.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom